State of Origin - Game 1 Discussion

Long shot I know but does anyone have 2 origin tickets they’re looking to offload? I’ll now be in Townsville tomorrow but don’t have tickets to the match.
PM me if anyone has origin tickets they want to offload

is anyone genuinely pumped for this game?

I will be watching as always but this is the least hyped I've been for an Origin probably ever. I'm just waiting for that one moment where the ref bins someone for some innocuous bullshit which completely turns the game on its head, and suddenly the conversation becomes about the refs all over again rather than the game.

OR, the NRL do pull the "Origin is the exception to the rule" card and suddenly everyone is just pissed off at their double standards. My money is on the latter, because the NRL are nothing if not hypocritical, but if the former happens well....the fallout from that will be worth a watch because it will be NUCLEAR if this crackdown ruins an Origin game.

The build up thread has JUST ticked over to the second page and most responses are about not being excited, this says a lot!

I have to ask how Jerome Luai is permitted to play origin despite declaring his allegiance to Samoa (not Australia)

but JT2 not permitted to play. his allegiance is to Tonga

The build up thread has JUST ticked over to the second page and most responses are about not being excited, this says a lot!
I'll get excited 30 minutes before kick off.

I have to ask how Jerome Luai is permitted to play origin despite declaring his allegiance to Samoa (not Australia)

but JT2 not permitted to play. his allegiance is to Tonga
I'd say it's mainly because he played for NZ ie. Tier 1

The tiering of nations seems ridiculous to me.

Why bother making Tonga or Samoa a Tier 1 nation like some idiot NSWRL media have suggested when it doesnt come with a bump in funding to the nation or a bump in player match payments.

I think it would only deter players from aligning with Tonga if they became Tier 1, because they wouldnt be able to play origin and get that sweet sweet green they all play for.

Is there an international rugby league association/ federation that determines tiering, fixtures, funding etc. ??

You are so so right. We are a great measuring stick

SOO might just be the only ray of sunshine QLD (Broncos fans) get to feel this year.....

I'm quietly confident.

I don't know why I'm going to watch this. I am only excited like the ironically named @I bleed Maroon

I am so pissed at the PVL and the NRL that I want to see them absolutely **** another of their premium products.

The build-up to Game I has always been trepidatious. Fans don't really know what to expect and with all the new rule changes it's just taken a lot of the wind out of the sails.

Typically the only time Game I has any real build is when you see a raft of changes and you get some real shock selections like Alfie in Game I 1987 or all the changes Mal made in Game I 2006.

With Freddy coaching his forth series now it's kind of gotten stale down his end while for the Maroons it's difficult to bounce back from the feel-good 2020 series so quickly. It has an air of Game I 2002 about it where it feels like Queensland are lambs to the slaughter with only a few facets in their favour. Otherwise there is almost this perverse sideshow aspect to the build where fans just want to see how badly these new rules ruin Origin.

The build-up to Game I has always been trepidatious. Fans don't really know what to expect and with all the new rule changes it's just taken a lot of the wind out of the sails.

Typically the only time Game I has any real build is when you see a raft of changes and you get some real shock selections like Alfie in Game I 1987 or all the changes Mal made in Game I 2006.

With Freddy coaching his forth series now it's kind of gotten stale down his end while for the Maroons it's difficult to bounce back from the feel-good 2020 series so quickly. It has an air of Game I 2002 about it where it feels like Queensland are lambs to the slaughter with only a few facets in their favour. Otherwise there is almost this perverse sideshow aspect to the build where fans just want to see how badly these new rules ruin Origin.

Game 1 is usually pumping in excitement with the first timers, all the profiles, etc but this year is just...meh. I'll be watching cycling instead.

[st_table="45%"][st_tr][st_td_row="2"]
2.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Dan - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .July 15, 2004
[/st_td][/st_tr][/st_table]
I have been impartial to Origin for a number of years now, but I am oddly excited about this one. I think having the time to watch it is really adding some extra to it

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • KeithustEndaf
  • Organix
  • Bish
  • GCBRONCO
  • eggstar10
  • Cavalo
  • theshed
  • broncsgoat
  • kman
  • Santa
  • Old Mate
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncorob
  • Johnny92
  • Brocko
  • Justwin
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.