CROSS FORUM State of Origin - Game 2 Discussion

[st_table="45%"][st_tr][st_td_row="2"]
22.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]mrblonde - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 13, 2012
REACTIONS: 5,128
[/st_td][/st_tr][/st_table]

Agree with the Origin eligibility screw-up: Surely that's sorted by season start?! That's not to say I'm advocating QLD and NSW change rules every year, but if they do change rules, they are in place and everyone knows:
1. What they are.
2. Who they affect as of 1 Jan.
3. Which players are available as of 1 Jan.

What harm would be done for QRL/NSWRL to publically publish a "State of Origin Eligibility List" every season? It's not like it would only list 20 or so players so opposing RL would be able to think in pre-season "Right, those bastards can only pick..."

I watched Friday's AFL game - Lions v Cats.

I can't remember where I read it, but someone reckoned AFL and NFL were polar opposites in terms of "Sports best watched on TV": AFL was much better watched at the venue, NFL, well, why would you spend money getting seats, etc, when everything was actually better on TV?

All Hail Helen Keller, Patron Saint of Rugby League Officials.
Qld have published the eligible players and have done for quite a while, Ronaldo has been there for a while. Nsw is the only one that doesn’t publish eligibility

1.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]tajhay - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 29, 2012
REACTIONS: 21,556
9881.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Fitzy - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .September 10, 2018

Qld have published the eligible players and have done for quite a while, Ronaldo has been there for a while. Nsw is the only one that doesn’t publish eligibility

Please provide the link?

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”​

Preparation needed to perfect this week for QLD to be a chance. Oy vey.
If Reece Walsh was never going play and it was all smoke and mirrors, that would have been the perfect build up play by the maroons. Now it’s all back fired..

5333.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Stalefish540 - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .May 12, 2017
REACTIONS: 10,395
RL is such an incompetent rabble. Surely QRL and the NSWRL would have a compiled list of all available players that fall into the necessary criteria to play for the state etc.

Muppetry at it's finest.

At the end of the day it's a storm in a teacup and just something for the journos to write about because really after the 44 point flogging in Game I there was really nothing there to dig into. The best they could come up with was a photo of Jarome Luai which was a complete and utter non-event.

The whole Mulitalo situation really is just amateur hour and for mine highlights how much the media controls the game. How this went through to the keeper in the NSWRL and NRL I'm not entirely sure. You would think with Ronaldo playing for a NSW club this would have been raised by them sooner. Obviously the QRL is complicit in all of this, but they simply selected a borderline example who moved here a year too late when the rules were brand new and at the time they were given the greenlights. To take that back on game day is an embarrassment, especially since it was raised by a journalist who isn't even covering the Australian game.

For me it's just another example of the NRL's incompetence and inability to use some common sense.

If Reece Walsh was never going play and it was all smoke and mirrors, that would have been the perfect build up play by the maroons. Now it’s all back fired..

Probably won't change how NSW play much either way. If the Walsh was never intended to play, that's just dumb.

1.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]tajhay - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 29, 2012
REACTIONS: 21,557
For me it's just another example of the NRL's incompetence and inability to use some common sense.
Let's not hide the fact that QRL doesn't even understand their own "eligibility' rules.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”​

Precedent was set when he was allowed in the 18s and 20s side. Should’ve been picked up then

Good job nrl

1.jpg

Let's not hide the fact that QRL doesn't even understand their own "eligibility' rules.

I think they do which is why they presented Ronaldo as a Queenslander in U/18 and were given the thumbs up they thought they had snuck him through.

The matter should have been resolved in 2017.

1.jpg
1899.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Big Pete - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 11, 2008

I think they do which is why they presented Ronaldo as a Queenslander in U/18 and were given the thumbs up they thought they had snuck him through.

The matter should have been resolved in 2017.

Probably giving them far too much credit if you think they thought they had snuck him in. Doubt they understood their eligibility rules in 2017 either.

The eligibility rules are a joke and always will be in order to protect their SOO brand.

4275.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]BeastMode - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 7, 2015
REACTIONS: 17,239
8423.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Sproj - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .September 5, 2013

I genuinely couldn't care less whether he is eligible or not as I don't really care about the NRL or origin much this year BUT this is symptomatic of the whole regime at present. How can it get to game day and then be bought up as an issue?

You've now got a kid who was pumped for the game of his life omitting himself and going from one of the most exciting days of his life to this, what a train wreck. Don't the NRL have someone to oversee this? No need to answer, there is no professionalism in NRL admin.

And like Gus's point or not, the NRL have shown themselves willing to bend and change rules on a whim but not on the day of their showpiece event? Again, just inconsistency all round.

And of course to make up for it, you just know every single decision is going to go Qld's way tonight because heaven forbid there is another shellacking and Vlandys cops heat once again for knee jerk, unneeded and spontaneous decisions destroying this once great product, particularly two days after a women's game that showed how good league used to be and should still be.

Absolutely pathetic from an absolutely pathetic modern iteration of league. I'll be continuing to watch and enjoy AFL until such time is this modern Aldi version of league reverts back to the brand name version.

good email.

yes, whole thing reeks of amateurism

not good for anyone

1.jpg

Probably giving them far too much credit if you think they thought they had snuck him in. Doubt they understood their eligibility rules in 2017 either.

The eligibility rules are a joke and always will be in order to protect their SOO brand.

Did he play in 2017 or not? Ergo they snuck him in and the ARL signed off on it.

maybe this eligibility BS wasn't enough clickbait for the media as they have started rehashing the Molo/Ackermann shoulder charge incident, now that Molo realises his dream by playing Origin

4275.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]BeastMode - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 7, 2015
REACTIONS: 17,239
1769.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Foordy - broncoshq.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 3, 2008

maybe this eligibility BS wasn't enough clickbait for the media as they have started rehashing the Molo/Ackermann shoulder charge incident, now that Molo realises his dream by playing Origin

JOIN THE #KEVOLUTION

don’t know why the media is lapping it up … fans don’t want to know this shit… it’s a distraction to everyone

62.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Sup42 - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .May 7, 2012
REACTIONS: 40,101

-
I don't really follow origin but out of curiosity looked it up.
What's the logic behind not being eligible if you've played for a tier 1 (Eng/NZ) nation at international level but perfectly fine if you've played for Samoa or Tonga if i understood it correctly. I know the logic from Australia's representative squads benefit but just makes no sense otherwise.
Part of the reason is world cups bro.

The league bosses wanted their cake and eat it too. The exemption for T2 nations means that the Island nations are more able to field more respectable line ups.

It was supposed to be a situation where NZ and Aus pillaged the Islands...and any Island players they did not want, could then bolster their Island national teams.

Tonga flipped that on its head with the new nationalism, players turning down big money and high profile benefits of Origins and Anzac test in favour of Tonga....all the while taking massive pay cuts to do it.

What Tonga have done, is what rep football is meant to be about, playing for your spiritual home colours be they state or international colours.

This will derail the thread probably but a lot of Kiwis get their noses out of joint over the Tonga movement.

Too bad. New Zealand does not own the people born here, they ain't livestock, what is in their hearts and spoken around the family table is what counts...not some colonial ownership of people.

We should just tell them to shove it and not play. Not practical but its how i feel and i bet plenty of others do as well. Its a disgrace that it got this far through the NRL then NSWRL decided to question it at the death and then he isnt allowed to play. I certainly wont be watching anymore Origin or NRL while the people running the show can firstly wreck the game with their stupid rule changes then do this to a player in this way.

Active Now

• marw
  • Bucking Beads
  • Allo
  • Fitzy
  • Shane Tronc
  • Scorchie
  • broncsgoat
  • broncotville
  • porouian
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Wild Horse
  • GCBRONCO
  • MrRobot
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Tim K
  • Scdeac
  • Hoof Hearted
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.