State of Origin - Game 3 - Post Match Discussion

Imagine what we could do if we actually used inglis in our backline. Basically won that game without him. For anyone saying tate didnt earn his MOTM, i bet you are the same ones saying he shouldnt be picked. Him and boyd were the only ones making us metres for most of the 2nd half. Tate bleeds maroon and deserved that award

Tate was great and I've always talked him up as a true QLD legend. But I just didn't think he was as good as Hodges, Parker or Scott.

1. Slater 7 - Not his best as he clearly looks slower than even a year ago. But he used his wingers well and on a couple of occasions they combinesd for good metres, also made a break off some clever backing up through the middle.
2. Boyd 7 - Was quiet for a lot fo the night but was solid as always in Maroon and made some really strong charges and did himself justice as always.
3. Inglis 6 - Clearly got hurt early and was very quiet, we really avoided using him.
4. Hodges 9 - Really rose to the occasion, he has been quiet in previous series, he was amazing this year and especially tonight where he was dangerous in attack and made some huge contirbutions in defence, his best Origin year by miles.
5. Tate 8 - Very solid with some huge and timely kick returns and dummy half running, found his MOTM award a little surprising but was good all the same.
6. Thurston 7 - Good at times and dangerous when we had the front foot (which was about 40% of the time) his kicking game wasn't as precise as it can be.
7. Cronk 7 - Like JT he really didn't impose himself some clever moments and smart kicks but overall we didn't haev the territory for him to excel.
8. Scott 9 - Epic, great stats and just great generally. He is a collossus and considering his degenerate back issues it is remarkable the things he does time and time again for club, state and country.
9. Smith 8 - Smart, sensible and clinical. He really plays a calm hand and despite an appalling penalty count didn't let his troops lose their cool, great captain and will one day make a great coach.
10. Myles 6 - Obviously not fit (as was rumoured) played small minutes and had minimal impact.
11. McQuuen 8 - Excellent performance, has Harrison like qualities but runs better lines and runs the ball with such enthusiasm, he has 20+ Origins written allover him.
12. Thaiday 7 - Great in his two stints and always looks better whe used in smaller portions and in those wider areas, always asked questions.
13. Parker 8 - Was very busy and did soem good work but I thought he has been better in both games compared to this one, my player of the series quite easily.
14. DCE 6 - Had a tonne of players run at him and much like game 2 did himself and the state proud, he will be an epic player for us very soon.
15. Te'o 6 - Ran hard and tackled harder. Not a massive impact though.
16. Gillett 5 - Not involved enough, 2 runs in total considering the amount of time he was out there.
17. Papalii 6 - Identical to Te'o looked dangerous and hurt a few guys just didn't get the time to make a real name for himself at this level.

So proud to be a Queenslander tonight.

What a tough game. The Maroons proved that at the end of the day, the champion teams decide footy matches and despite receiving the pointy end of the pineapple they came out on top. I don't know how any Queensland fan can't be proud of that.

Even enjoyed Wally's commentary for once. Obviously compensated for the fact that the call was so NSW oriented...Gus was in fine form...

Tatey is a legend. Wasn't my pick for MotM but in what could very well be his last game for the Maroons...he did everything he could for us tonight. He isn't a winger and this was proven a few times...but he dug deep and came up with some great runs.

Agree on Scott. Was our only natural front row and lead by example. Was my pick for the Wally Lewis medal - two great games back to back and absolutely devastated that the POS streaker robbed him of a well deserved try.

The best parts of this match were Matt Scott running. Simply unbelievable how he gets through defenders and carries them.

What I also liked was the effective tackling by the Maroons, made harder by slacking off in line speed. I was getting worries for 5 seconds.

I think Matt Scott once again proves that bigger props still have a place in Origin. I don't think Mal's mobility plan worked out as well as he hoped. And us lacking the go forward completely swung the momentum once Scott and Myles went off. It took about 10 or 15 minutes into the 2nd half to finally recover.

I really hope we go with a prop off the bench next year, whether it's Shillo, Hannant or even McGuire.

Yep McGuire will be well and truly ready by this time next year. Swap Gillett out for McGuire we look great for next year.

Yep McGuire will be well and truly ready by this time next year. Swap Gillett out for McGuire we look great for next year.

I think Hannant still has it in him to play big games in Origin. I'd have him in place of Gillett next year.

Other than that, the team remains the same. Hodges and Tate should be replaced with Chambers and Gagai when the time is right, but I'm hoping that's another series away yet.

Did the streaker have one more line break than Pearce.

Will have to watch the game to see.

I think Hannant still has it in him to play big games in Origin. I'd have him in place of Gillett next year.

Other than that, the team remains the same. Hodges and Tate should be replaced with Chambers and Gagai when the time is right, but I'm hoping that's another series away yet.

Not sure about Chambers tbh. I think Edrick Lee is the man for the future, but there's of course still hope that we can get Izzy back.

I don't rate Chambers as an Origin player. Lee and Gagai should be the replacements for mine.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Financeguy
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bongo
  • The True King
  • MrTickyMcG
  • GCBRONCO
  • MrMoore
  • Wolfie
  • bert_lifts
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncsgoat
  • kiwibronco
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • Lurker
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morepudding
  • Johnny92
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.