State Of Origin - General Discussion

Disagree. Give him a shot, I'm not willing to write him off after his performance a few years back. Munster and Morgan as the halves is concerning as ****

Morgan/Munster is a proper shit halves combo.
I'd rather Hunt in the 7 than that combo.

Hunt/Milford anyone? :)

I wouldn't rule it out.

Kevvie is a big fan of both them. If Hunt doesn't earn the halfback spot, he is very likely to be on the bench.

DCE playing himself out of Origin contention with this game.

I've got a big fear of them picking Hunt. He's not an origin standard half. I can just imagine him kicking it out on the full with 5 minutes to go and scores locked up. I think it'll be Morgan/Munster for now. Taylor might displace Morgan if he develops his game in the future, and Milford should displace Munster when he is allowed to play his natural game.

You can rule out Andrew Fifita for the Blues.

He’s making a big song and dance about whether he’ll choose Tonga or Nsw/Australia.... in all likelihood he’s probably not going to get picked anyway

I feel like we need to start thinking seriously about Kalyn Ponga for this years series.. The kid has potential to win games by himself, he's like a safer, more skilful version of James Roberts.

Based on form, I haven't been overly impressed by any of Slater, Boyd, Chambers or Inglis. I don't think any of those 4 are guaranteed spots. Holmes & Gagai haven't been great either, but after their performances in the Maroons jumper, they're locked in.

At the moment, based on form / recent performances in Origin, this would be my back line. (I'm aware it's almost no chance of happening as Slater will get his farewell tour from Walters.)

1. Ponga
2. Holmes
3. Inglis
4. Chambers
5. Gagai

I feel like we need to start thinking seriously about Kalyn Ponga for this years series.. The kid has potential to win games by himself, he's like a safer, more skilful version of James Roberts.

Wont be picked.

Don't think he's ready to have that pressure thrown on him so early in his career.

Don't think he's ready to have that pressure thrown on him so early in his career.

He's been solid but there is a fair dose of hype and exaggeration in commentators describing his performance. His kick returns have only been a pass mark. He's also a fairly weak defender. He's doing well for someone so young and he'll very likely play one day but he isn't there yet.

DCE is by far QLDs best half outside of Cronk and Thurston. He absolutely drags that manly team around every week, and they completely ride on whether he plays well or not. His impact at manly is in the same vain as JT and the cowboys a few years back.

There’s no question he is QLD most complete half, and is better than anything NSW has.

All that being said, I don’t have a lot of confidence in his ability at origin. Though Mal has said he miss used him.

It wouldn't matter even if Ponga was considered, he isn't going to be replacing Slater.

Slater's form hasn't been great, but when was the last time he had a bad game in Origin? He lifts for the occasion.

There isn't any chance Ponga will take the utility spot either. It looks like Hunt has taken that spot unless he has a massive drop in form. Kevvie is a big fan of Hunt, and if he is fit and still in form, he takes the utility spot.

Ponga might be a chance on the wing. But very doubtful.

He will have to wait a year or two until Slater retires before he gets a go.

I actually think the hype about him has been blown out of proportion a bit. Apart from a short ball to Fitzgibbon, he was contained by the Broncos.

Dragons and Roosters also did a good job containing him.

It wouldn't matter even if Ponga was considered, he isn't going to be replacing Slater.

Slater's form hasn't been great, but when was the last time he had a bad game in Origin? He lifts for the occasion.

There isn't any chance Ponga will take the utility spot either. It looks like Hunt has taken that spot unless he has a massive drop in form. Kevvie is a big fan of Hunt, and if he is fit and still in form, he takes the utility spot.

He will have to wait a year or two until Slater retires before he gets a go.

I actually think the hype about him has been blown out of proportion a bit. Apart from a short ball to Fitzgibbon, he was contained by the Broncos.

Dragons and Roosters also did a good job containing him.

I agree that it's very doubtful he gets a run, but I think if Slater picks up an injury he has to be at the top of the list to replace him, there's no chance Inglis could handle 3 games of Origin at Fullback, and I think the Boyd ship has sailed. Mbye would have to be the other option discussed.

Ponga has been contained, and he still has put up extremely good numbers for what feels like essentially his first 5 proper games of NRL, imagine him when he breaks out.

Ponga - 5 games - 1 try, 3 line-breaks, 5 line-break assists, 4 try assists, 26 tackle breaks.

Mbye - 5 games - 2 tries, 6 line-breaks, 0 line-break assists, 0 try assists, 24 tackle breaks.

The Cowboys played him on the wing in a few games and he wasn't that good. He doesn't get the space he needs on the wing and you also need guys who can make metres trucking the ball up in Origin.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • mrslong
  • Dash
  • Jedhead
  • Allo
  • Manofoneway
  • broncs30
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BruiserMk1
  • Skyblues87
  • Big Del
  • Santa
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Redux
  • Brocko
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.