State Of Origin - General Discussion

So Walters is not a genius for winning 2 series while renewing the legendary team that won 11 out of 12 series, but is a flog for losing one where players kept dropping like flies? Gotcha.

Difference between 2016 and this year: No Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith, Johnathan Thurston, Nate Myles, Matt Scott, Darius Boyd, Matt Gillett, Corey Parker and Sam Thaiday. Peanuts, right?
Besides, based on this year's form, we'd have almost no players to select from, and the player who appeared to be in best form, was the one who shat the bed the worst...
This is not a "we were so close", it's a "considering the circumstances, we definitely did very well to get so close".

BTW, while Gavin Cooper isn't the future, he certainly was good enough to be there this year, and it definitely wasn't for him that we lost the series.

As to the future... I think we definitely do have a core group.

Ponga, Holmes, Gagai, Morgan, Munster, are close to certainties in the backs when fit, with Oates as a luxury backup. Inglis will probably not last much longer, despite wanting to go a few more years.

Let's see what that creep of a DCE does, but we still have Milford and Taylor on the sidelines, who I still regard as our future halves, and Hunt can well become a fantastic utility to give us the spark we lack from Macca, who may be our Achilles heel in terms of attack.

Despite his miserable form this season, Coen Hess definitely belongs in the forwards mix, as do Arrow, Kaufusi, Napa and Wallace, alongside established players like McGuire, Gillett and Papalii. The fact we're turning to someone like Glasby as a backup and pinning our hopes on guys like Ofahegaue and Su'a, who have just arrived on the scene, is telling of how bare the cupboard is.

Of course, injuries and other issues are no excuse for a Walters, but sure work for Bennett... right?
Loved all this post except for the very last shot about WB, nothing to do with the subject. 98/100

Like putting spaces between words and punctuation?
No ! Not like that ! Leaving words out that allow sentences to flow. Spaces are sometimes used because it appears to me, cleaner. For me, it's aesthetically pleasing.

I don't get this Walters bashing. Outside of the shocking amount of missed tackles in the first game, the team performed quite well, especially in game 2, despite the mounting successive adversities with injuries, legends quitting, and lacking a capable game controlling half.
We could have easily been 1 all with a home game in hand despite all of the above!

In general, both sides' packs have annulled each other, resulting in very low meters gained from either of them, while the large differential came from the backs and clearly favoured Qld, which is also probably a reason why our forwards didn't need to cart the ball as much.

I do agree some selections have certainly been questionable. I did understand Oates missing out originally given the presence of Gagai, Holmes, Chambers and Inglis, but why Ofahengaue isn't an option, or how Milford became a victim of his misuse in game 1, but I understand and agree with Hunt being the bench utility (of course I do hate the sight of DCE in the maroon jersey), but selections are not Kevvie's exclusive responsibility, and it's not like there is a wealth of choices out there either...
Would it make it easier to understand it if you changed the name from Walters to Bennett every time you saw Walters getting bashed? It's weird what you can find a way to justify and what you choose to shit on.

No ! Not like that ! Leaving words out that allow sentences to flow. Spaces are sometimes used because it appears to me, cleaner. For me, it's aesthetically pleasing.
That's all well and good but it's wrong and you have no right to question anyone's spelling or grammar when you continue to do it.

From an outside perspective, it's not aesthetically pleasing, it's annoying !

Corey Oates wasnt there the other day when i met Maroons, I was so pissed off but at least I got to meet Macca and Moose

Would it make it easier to understand it if you changed the name from Walters to Bennett every time you saw Walters getting bashed? It's weird what you can find a way to justify and what you choose to shit on.
Would it make it easier if you understood what I criticise Bennett about?

I could name 4 or 5 players that are in better form then cooper like I have on multiple occaissons on here. Difference between them and him is he is 31. So poor form and age isnt the criteria so he must have more runs on the board at origin level then scott, boyd and thaiday because they were the reasons they got sacked. Cooper deserves our leeway but those players who have and would get the job done to a higher level dont? Whats he trying to achieve with those choices, its a half ass attempt at trying to look like he is looking to the future. Hunt was our future at the start of the series I believe and whilst I agree with his demotion im also not the coach who picked him in the first place and publicly backed him as our future.

The difference in coaches this year is fittler has had a way he wants to play and a style of player he wants and he has stuck to it. Just like meninga did. Meninga valued experience over everything else. Fittler has valued attitude and offensive based players. What does our team stand for?could you honestly tell me it has any sort of pattern whatsoever?

Those players we lost, do you not realise WALTERS DROPPED some of them. If he wants to use a loss of experience as an excuse he has no one to blame but himself.

And what positions will those players play in the backline? Do they know? Munster wants to be a fullback and probably will once slater retires. Ponga had a great debut... from the bench. Holmes wants to be our fullback too. Gagai cant defend at centre everyone rightfully points out, morgan has had 10 games in origin and hasnt exactly dominated at any stange whatsoever. Milford should be our future but wont be whilst walters is coach because of the way walters has thrown him under the bus.

Hess has been terrible, he may turn out great but just becasue someone is young you dont just keep them in the team despite their form. It may mean 10 years of shitness rather then just cutting your losses, and again, if thats walters plan why werent more youngsters chosen? Its so half asses the way he has approached this series its ridiculous. Its a shambles.

Yes he deserves credit for the last 2 years, i never said he didnt completly but blind freddy could see smith made hin look good. The same criticisms will be directed at bellamy if it proves to be true for him. And injuries are terrible, they happen, every coach at some point had to deal with them. But the players he had available still dont justify HIS selections. Wallace shouldnt wear a quernsland jersey again, no matter his form. People are forgettih that before we were blessed with the golden run our teams in the 90’s and early 2000’s were massively inferior to nsw in personel and won due to effort aline sometimes. You cant tell me wallace deserves to be wearjng the same jersey as them
They are not HIS selections, they are the selections of the Qld selectors panel, which includes besides Walters, Darren Lockyer and Gene Miles, who chairs the panel.

Just for clarity, can you please name the players who he wrongly selected and who should have been there instead?

They are not HIS selections, they are the selections of the Qld selectors panel, which includes besides Walters, Darren Lockyer and Gene Miles, who chairs the panel.

Just for clarity, can you please name the players who he wrongly selected and who should have been there instead?
They are obviously HIS selections. He won the last 2 series and the side hasnt really changed (outside of injuries and retirements) since game 2 last year, when it was stated by many people in the media walters bended to the selection panel in game 1 and got his way in game 2. Additionally, if the selection panel got their way in the first 2 games dont you think after losing the series they would have given him the freedom to make changes? Much like he did last year, instead he has made only forced changes.

oates needed to be in the team, with such a weak pack walters should have either made the tough choice (just like he did in game 2 last year AGAINST oates, who was one of our better performing players in the game-for everything holmes and gagai do (or 30 year old chambers, wasnt boyd dropped for being around that age? Or was he out of form? Not like any other players of course)) or be the bench utility. He wont win us a game but our pack needed more help then what holmes, chambers or gagai could provide. Why was milford there if he wasnt going to use him till the game was over anyway? Why can he only make a tough call against oates. Hes exactly what we needed..

I would never let wallace wear a queensland jersey again after the 2 performances he has put in this series. The fact he didnt get much game time and never got back on says even walters wasnt happy with it. Why was he selected agin? What message does that send to other players?! In his place i would have put ANY forward we had. Offa, welch, anyone! Even bloody sims would have more of a go at least.

Cooper could be replaced by sua this last game or papalii to the edge in the first 2 games. Whys he nervous about trying that when the series over? and anyway Cooper is 31, and has played 5 origins, and is among the worst second rowers in the nrl this year. He dropped thaiday, boyd and scott for being out of form and over 30, yet they have 70 origins between them and have proven themselves time and time again. Why not cooper who hasnt shown anymore at origin level then what oates has, in fact, he has shown less, and has only 1 more game “experience” in origin.

And hunt dropped i understand, but again, hes doing it half/half. Publicly backed him pre-series and said its his team, then backs him multiple times after both poor performances, then drops him... but only to the bench. Stand by your choices EITHER WAY walters.

Also, i would have selected boyd, scott and i wouldnt have dropped thaiday last year. In their place he has brought in wallace and glasby-if these 2 are our future we are in trouble, and if they arent our future (i bloody hope so) why are we dropping players WE KNOW can do the job. State of origin is not nrl, its totally different football. Unless players have extrodinary form or talent you never pick them over players who have done the job nearly 30 times before, its that simple. Meninga and bennett understood this.

Either pull the trigger on all of them like fittler has or go with the tried and true. Its half assed what he has done and we are paying the price for it. The blues not only have a better squad this series (due to dropping experienced players), but they are also in a much better position moving forward (due to not dropping all the ageing players like they did). Our team sits somewhere in the middle, either do a bennett (2001) or do a meninga. It reeks of trying to please everyone and not having the strength to back himself, which is even worse if you are saying the selection panel over-powered him after he has the 2-0 series win record prior to this series. In fact i think thats evem worse if he truly let that happen tbh, especially after losing the first 2 games, keep him away from our club if thats the case because theres alot more political lobbying and constant pressure in your job at the broncos then queensland. No way he could have dealt with the matt lodge situation or from rumblings he has lost the dressing room.

My team game 3 if he didnt dump the veterans alreay (he cant go back on his word now so the next team will be a youth team)

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Gagai
4. Chambers (only due to inglis injury, has some runs on the board + only for an injury replacement only)
5. Holmes
6. Munster
7. Hunt (only because he came out and backed him time and time again)
8. Napa
9. Macca
10. Mcguire
11. Guerra (much better form then cooper, and actually more experienced then cooper in origin, and younger lol)
12. Kafusi
13. Arrow

14. Papalii
15. Thaiday
16. Oates
17. Offa

Scott would get on the bench if not injured.

Much more experienced unit

Or, if he wanted to go “the future”

1. Slater (farewell)
2. Holmes
3. Munster
4. Gagai
5. Oates
6. Milford
7. Hunt (unless he didnt back him publicly-then taylor)
8. Napa
9. Macca
10. Mcguire
11. Papalii
12. Kafusi
13. Arrow

14. Offa
15. Welch
16. Sua
17. Glasby

Top team has 3 players from teams outside the 8, bottom team has 2 players from outside the top 8. Walters team has 7... 7! Nsw have 3. During our golden run weve been lucky to have 2 or 3.

The top team has 50+ more origin games experience then walters team. The bottom team has only 1 player who will retire in the next 3 years, walters team has 3...

For me, dont make rules for some selections/dropping players- but only apply them when it suits you. Stick to your convictions.

Active Now

• Bongo
  • Harry Sack
  • Aldo
  • Manofoneway
  • NSW stables
  • Socnorb
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Jazza
  • Justwin
  • Alec
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Lurker
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  • kman
  • barker
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.