State Of Origin - General Discussion

Buying a ticket doesn't suddenly mean you're a deep thinking well written scribe that should be listened too. I'd say the loudest people have no clue.

Read the comments on QRL stories and tell me again how these people are eloquent.

To be perfectly fair though, some of the people writing on that website are absolute assholes to other people on the internet.

Last edited:
Hunt didn't take his chance at halfback and made some big errors. Not sure he left Walters with much of a choice.
Walters has been more reactionary and more lead by the media than any coach in QLD's history ...

first with Ponga's selection. people are kidding themselves if the don't believe this selection wasn't driven by the media. Milford was never even given the time to do anything wrong in the first game.

and now with Hunt's axing, never in QLD's history would Hunt have been axed after his performance in game 2, with the exception of a Thurston or Cronk returning from injury. he would always have been given a chance to redeem himself

A few reasons why I hate the selections made for this game, and the whole series:

1. Rewarding mediocrity
I dont care if we have to select one of the womens origin players, how can wallace get the HONOUR of pulling on the queensland jersey again? What message does this send to players?! “Play shit, go into your shell and show nothing for the jersey and we will still select you because theres nothing better!”

2. This game in particular was a chance to trial young players out. Cooper and Chambers (not as much) have not done enough in their origins to justify loyalty at their age. If boyd, scott and thaiday dont deserve loyalty when they have ACTUALLY proved themselves time and time again at that level then why do they? “But we dont have the depth”-sua, offa, welch, guerra, scott, even thaiday are in better form then cooper. Chambers I can understand in a way because he has shown SOMETHING in past years and the injury to inglis opened the door for him, however i get the feeling walters would have picked him over oates if inglis wasnt injured which would have been almost embarrassing for walters.

3. Hess.... wow, he is over rated....

4. Taylor not in the team... not for the reasons most people are saying but for the opposite. Its obvious he is being “protected” from this series “hes too young/not ready” is another way of saying “hes not good enough to win it for us and if he loses it will scar him”... ehy the fcuk wasnt milford awarded this luxury?! Just like munster debuting with his entire spine and ponga getting 50 minutes to show what he has got milford has been absolutely thrown under the bus by walters both times yet every other young (milford is still young people forget) spine player has been absolutely cushioned into their roles compared to milford who has been thrown to the wolves and told to produce gold...

I hope we dont win this because it will be used to justify the selection of these players while we lose next years series again, setting up a dynasty for nsw as they get the mental edge.

Hard to argue with this, so I won't - it's just too right

Wallace was rightfully selected.

1. His defence was very solid and he didn't make silly errors or give away penalties.
2. When he was on, QLD were well on top and shifting the ball frequently to the edges which limited his chances to take hitups through the middle. He was part of some of the backline plays, which indicates he was doing what he was told. The last thing the team needed during that time period was for a forward to be hogging the ball to pad his numbers.
3. He had limited game time because Ponga and McGuire played big minutes. However, most of our forwards averaged the same amount of game time as Wallace.

Might as well select Ponga or Milford in the front row then, they can shift the ball too. He's barely made any runs in all 4 of his games. Seems like a pretty shitty role.

Last edited:

1. His defence was very solid and he didn't make silly errors or give away penalties.
2. When he was on, QLD were well on top and shifting the ball frequently to the edges which limited his chances to take hitups through the middle. He was part of some of the backline plays, which indicates he was doing what he was told. The last thing the team needed during that time period was for a forward to be hogging the ball to pad his numbers.
3. He had limited game time because Ponga and McGuire played big minutes. However, most of our forwards averaged the same amount of game time as Wallace.
1. His job is not to "shift the ball to the edges" it is to make meters up the middle ... he failed in both games at that

Ponga is not a prop ... he shouldn't be taking any props playing time

Why did he have limited game time? Now i dont pretend to know walters pitiful game plan ideas but dont you think if he was doing his role so well and he was responsible/helping us stay on top of the nsw blues pack as you say they wouldnt have put him back on? Even walters isnt that bad a coach.

He is the worst starting prop we have had in our history. I thought he was close too it before origin and he has more then confirmed it with his performances. He is possibly the most over rated forward in the nrl. Jarrod “im a starting origin prop worth >$500,000 a season” wallace does not deserve to wear the same jersey webcke and ciovoniceva wore with such pride and passion.

Im sick of these titans players getting such raving reviews from people on here just because they used to play for us, LOOK AT THE NRL TABLE. They dont play for us anymore because hey are not worth the money they are getting paid, if they were titans would be ahead of us on the nrl tavle every year, they arent and have never been since they started paying overs for our players...

Rant over...

Last edited:
Moving Gagai to centre and bringing Corey Oates in on the wing is about the only thing Walters has done right all series. It was a forced change and there weren't many alternatives so I am reluctant to give Walters much credit for it.

I was an advocate for DCE for Game 1 but I think the ship has sailed and bringing him in now is just setting us up for failure. I dont mind Hunt off the bench.

I would have liked to have seen this team given a run for game 3 with a clear eye to the future:
1 Slater
2 Oates
3 Gagai
4 Chambers
5 Holmes
6 Munster
7 Taylor
8 McGuire
9 McCullough
10 Napa
11 Papalii
12 Kaufusi
13 Arrow

14 Hunt
15 Hess
16 Wallace
17 Ofa

Last edited:
Was thinking today (doesn’t happen often), this year’s Aussie Side is going to be really different isn’t it.

Probably something like:

1. Tedesco
2. Addo-Carr
3. Inglis (c)
4. Roberts/Mitchell
5. Gagai
6. Munster
7. Maloney
8. Vaughn
9. Cook
10. Klemmer
11. Cordner
12. Frizell
13. De Belin

14. Hunt/Ponga
15. McGuire
16. Trobolevic
17. Campbell-Gillard

1. His job is not to "shift the ball to the edges" it is to make meters up the middle ... he failed in both games at that

Ponga is not a prop ... he shouldn't be taking any props playing time

Watch the game again. QLD were shifting the ball to the edges frequently EARLY in the tackle count. Wallace was running decoys in these plays wide of the ruck. He was obviously told to do this by the coaching staff and the halves. If he was taking hitups on those plays, QLD would not have been able to use their backline plays to target Roberts and Lattrell.

There was not a time in his stint that I thought Wallace should have been taking a hit up here.

The coaches have obviously looked at the tape and seen he did nothing wrong, which is why he was retained.

Ponga was subbed on for a forward because McCullough didn't go off.

Last edited:
Watch the game again. QLD were shifting the ball to the edges frequently EARLY in the tackle count. Wallace was running decoys in these plays wide of the ruck. He was obviously told to do this by the coaching staff and the halves. If he was taking hitups on those plays, QLD would not have been able to use their backline plays to target Roberts and Lattrell.

There was not a time in his stint that I thought Wallace should have been taking a hit up here.

The coaches have obviously looked at the tape and seen he did nothing wrong, which is why he was retained.

Ponga was subbed on for a forward because McCullough didn't go off.

well that means we can blame the loss entirely on Kevin Walters

if he told Wallace (or any middle forward for that matter) to pass early without doing the hard yards first ... then he is a shithouse coach and should be sacked immediately and not even be permitted to coach origin 3

so what if Macca didn't have a rest ... you don't have one less forward on the field when you are getting dominated in the ruck ... if he wanted Ponga on that badly (and didn't want to take Macca off) it should have been at the expense of one of the halves or outside back...

it that is the tactical decisions he brings, then i hope he NEVER gets the head coaching role at the Broncos ... we will end up free falling down the ladder

well that means we can blame the loss entirely on Kevin Walters

if he told Wallace (or any middle forward for that matter) to pass early without doing the hard yards first ... then he is a shithouse coach and should be sacked immediately and not even be permitted to coach origin 3

so what if Macca didn't have a rest ... you don't have one less forward on the field when you are getting dominated in the ruck ... if he wanted Ponga on that badly (and didn't want to take Macca off) it should have been at the expense of one of the halves or outside back...

it that is the tactical decisions he brings, then i hope he NEVER gets the head coaching role at the Broncos ... we will end up free falling down the ladder

I don't agree. Wallace was throwing those passes because other forwards had already done the hard yards to create the space. Evidenced by the fact that shifting it worked. Not only did the defence fall for it (tightened in on Wallace expecting him to run it), but we also had very good field position early and were able to score points. Wallace did his job well, Kevvie did his job well, the stats are just incomplete (they don't attribute any metres gained or number of runs before a pass if the pass is before the line).

With Ponga playing in the forwards, again, we didn't lose because we lacked field position or attacking opportunities. We lost due to poor execution when we did have our chances.

It's been a strange series for players in the ruck. They're all well down compared to last year.

The top five metres gained this year has one forward in Cordner with 289m. Last year the top forward was Klemmer with 518 and Cordner in fifth with 452.

No forward is getting near those numbers this year.

Queensland are well 'ahead' with running decoy plays too 140 v 101. If you let guys go through and shift it out the back hard to make metres.

Queensland are head in metres made in total 3284 v 3092. The breakdown of backs v forwards of that would show a bit.

It's been a strange series for players in the ruck. They're all well down compared to last year.

The top five metres gained this year has one forward in Cordner with 289m. Last year the top forward was Klemmer with 518 and Cordner in fifth with 452.

No forward is getting near those numbers this year.

Queensland are well 'ahead' with running decoy plays too 140 v 101. If you let guys go through and shift it out the back hard to make metres.

Queensland are head in metres made in total 3284 v 3092. The breakdown of backs v forwards of that would show a bit.

Would love to know the offload stats, feels like nobody is offloading.

Queensland 2044m made by backs of 3284m that's 62%.
NSW 1475m made by backs of 3092m that's 47%.

Queensland 2044m made by backs of 3284m that's 62%.
NSW 1475m made by backs of 3092m that's 47%.

Compared to last year.

Queensland made 5051 and the backs made 2603m or 51%.

Active Now

• Spike
  • BooKhaki
  • Hurrijo
  • theshed
  • Broncorob
  • Alec
  • Thelmus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.