State of Origin III - Queensland vs NSW - Pre-Match Discussion

Cos he was awesome there in game 2 lol

Slater to the right wing, Inglis to FB and Chambers/Tonga left centre

Copley is more ready than Chambers. He is also far better every single week. Also Chambers has been horrible this year. I could deal with Tonga as he has played well this season.

I'd pick Copley because he plays on the wing.

I still rate Gagai as a future QLD Centre. His form is down, but like with Papalii, class is permanent. He just needs to work on his defence.

I actually rate Gagai as a better winger than Copley.

The only aspect of Copley's game that is better than Gagai's on the wing is his ability to run from dummy half.

Copley's work under the high ball is still very suspect - I reckon Gagai is more reliable in that aspect and offers more in attack.

They're both much better than McQueen.

One good game against a woeful cowboys side and all of a sudden Gagai has rocketed back into origin discussions. Amazing.

I actually rate Gagai as a better winger than Copley.

The only aspect of Copley's game that is better than Gagai's on the wing is his ability to run from dummy half.

Copley's work under the high ball is still very suspect - I reckon Gagai is more reliable in that aspect and offers more in attack.

They're both much better than McQueen.

When was the last time Gagai actually played on the wing?

Been a few years but he wouldn't be the only Maroons player played out of position.

I've seen what Copley can do on the wing and know it isn't up to Origin standard.

Give me a player with more ability and upside.

Been a few years but he wouldn't be the only Maroons player played out of position.

I've seen what Copley can do on the wing and know it isn't up to Origin standard.

Give me a player with more ability and upside.

Yes. tackle busts, dummy half runs, speed, finishing, quality step and the ability to force his way over the tryline... definitely not up to origin standard :rolleyes:

The problem with Copley is that he just doesn't seem to have that competitive edge to him at this stage.

I also think that knee reco has robbed him of a bit of pace, been a few times he's just been left in the dust by his opposite.

The biggest problem I have with Copley is his hands. Been a few times where a kick has gone his way and he's never looked like taking it.

Gagai was always better in this department and I'd be more confident with him there. Contrary to popular belief, he didn't get a jersey based on one game...

The problem with Copley is that he just doesn't seem to have that competitive edge to him at this stage.

I also think that knee reco has robbed him of a bit of pace, been a few times he's just been left in the dust by his opposite.

The biggest problem I have with Copley is his hands. Been a few times where a kick has gone his way and he's never looked like taking it.

Gagai was always better in this department and I'd be more confident with him there. Contrary to popular belief, he didn't get a jersey based on one game...

What origin jersey did he get. Cos I got one from 2011, signed by locky and everything. Can he beat that?

I thought I was talking to broncos4life, not my editor.

Getting an Origin jersey, rocketing into Origin discussion...the message was essentially the same.

I thought I was talking to broncos4life, not my editor.

Getting an Origin jersey, rocketing into Origin discussion...the message was essentially the same.

but I am your editor....

Haha I'm just having a laugh. I honestly feel like copley is the better player right now and I think his combo with hodgo shouldn't be under-rated.

To me, Gagai goes missing when the points arent flowing which is exactly what origin is like. The defense would monster him IMHO

Sa'll good.

I'll say this much, neither option is ideal so I can certainly see both sides.

I'd just prefer Dane because I rate him as a better talent at this stage and have more confidence in him. I don't think Dane goes missing at all, his involvement is very high but it's difficult to do a whole lot when Mullen is in the type of form he's in and isn't get much good ball.

My concern with Gagai is that he can be the type of player to panic and has the odd brain explosion in him but on the flip-side he's also the type of player who can come up with the big clutch play most others can't. I'd be willing to risk that in a dead rubber.

Last edited:
BHQ can give up on Gagai being selected. Wayne Bennett said that he is exempt from selection for 2014 due to being released early from the Emerging Origin camp earlier in the year.

My team:

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Dale Copley
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Josh McGuire
9. Cameron Smith
10. Nate Myles
11. Aidan Guerra
12. Matt Gillett
13. Sam Thaiday

14. Jacob Lillyman
15. Ben Te’o
16. Chris McQueen
17. Anthony Milford

I'm torn about choosing Anthony Milford or Ben Hunt as the bench utility. I definitely think one of them needs to be there. We've been presented with an opportunity to look to the future. Let's do it.

I am assuming Gillett will be fit to play - been busy so haven't seen the news so he might not be. I wasn't sold on Josh McGuire playing Origin but with Scott's injury and considering it's a dead rubber it might be the perfect time to give him a go.

If Papalii is fit he comes in for McQueen. Same with Parker for Lillyman. Parker could even start and push Gillett or Guerra back to the bench.

Whatever the make-up of the side, I want at least one debutant. At least. I know we haven't lost by much in these games but the problem is a lot of players in our side are going to retire within a short space of each other. We need to start preparing for that.

Regardless of the emerging camp issue, I'd have Copley over Gagai any time of the week and twice on Wednesday night. Gagai is an enormous defensive liability as it is in the NRL, imagine the Origin arena!

Gagai struggles with the centre role defensively but it's a tough role.

On the wing it wouldn't be anywhere near as big an issue.

Not giving up on Vidot. IIRC you can change allegiance once in between world cups. So he can still choose to play for Qld. Copley is more skilful but Vidot's metres on kick returns would be invaluable. They both have butterfingers.

Active Now

• marw
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.