OPINION Tallis is a flog

In fairness, he does have a point. Who is being held accountable in the front office as they have contributed to the current football situation. Our recruitment team do have to take a large amount of responsibility for the current roster issues.

Whether this is Paul White's area or whether he is more the commercial side of the club, I don't know.

In fairness, he does have a point. Who is being held accountable in the front office as they have contributed to the current football situation. Our recruitment team do have to take a large amount of responsibility for the current roster issues.

Whether this is Paul White's area or whether he is more the commercial side of the club, I don't know.

This club has been a major failure at succession planning for the last 13 years or so, basically coinciding with the tenure of one Bruno Cullen.

A brief look at the failings over that time:
1. They had no succession plan in place to replace Bennett when he left originally. They allowed their succession plan to walk out the door and go to Melbourne. They then stuffed up trying to re-sign Bellamy (either twice or three times) which led us to the wonderful predicament of having no option but to appoint Henjak. This then rolled into the appointment of Hook.
2. They allowed Luke Priddis and then Michael Ennis to leave without having a viable and competent hooking alternative. You all know what this has resulted in.
3. Nothing apparently was planned for the inevitable retirement of our last superstar player, one D. Lockyer. No viable alternative had been groomed and any attempt to go to the market to buy a ready made replacement failed. We really needed to buy one of Thurston, Cronk or Smith to replace him.
4. There has been a failure to prepare for the inevitable retirement of our last cohort of experienced leaders, Hodges, Parker and Thaiday which has led to current leadership vacuum.
5. The final example is the cluster **** that resulted in trying to manage the ending of Bennett's involvement with the club.

Hopefully, this area will eventually improve.

Does he even talk about the Titans? He is obsessed with us.

This club has been a major failure at succession planning for the last 13 years or so, basically coinciding with the tenure of one Bruno Cullen.

A brief look at the failings over that time:
1. They had no succession plan in place to replace Bennett when he left originally. They allowed their succession plan to walk out the door and go to Melbourne. They then stuffed up trying to re-sign Bellamy (either twice or three times) which led us to the wonderful predicament of having no option but to appoint Henjak. This then rolled into the appointment of Hook.
2. They allowed Luke Priddis and then Michael Ennis to leave without having a viable and competent hooking alternative. You all know what this has resulted in.
3. Nothing apparently was planned for the inevitable retirement of our last superstar player, one D. Lockyer. No viable alternative had been groomed and any attempt to go to the market to buy a ready made replacement failed. We really needed to buy one of Thurston, Cronk or Smith to replace him.
4. There has been a failure to prepare for the inevitable retirement of our last cohort of experienced leaders, Hodges, Parker and Thaiday which has led to current leadership vacuum.
5. The final example is the cluster **** that resulted in trying to manage the ending of Bennett's involvement with the club.

Hopefully, this area will eventually improve.

The club tried to sign smith and JT (not 100% sure about JT), but they were at clubs who could match our offers and they didn’t want to leave. Smith was coming to Brisbane until his ‘wife’ convinced him to stay.

People in the media talk about how much cash we have, but we’re still bound by the cap. If it didn’t exist then the criticism would be warranted.

they allowed their succession plan to walk out the door and go to Melbourne.

Bellamy wasn't going to stay an assistant with us for 6 years until we needed a successor to Bennett, especially as we weren't expecting to need one in 2008

The first two responses to my post were pretty much what I expected from some posters on here.

Last edited:
Bellamy wasn't going to stay an assistant with us for 6 years until we needed a successor to Bennett, especially as we weren't expecting to need one in 2008
Where did I say in my post that I expected him to, can you show me? My criticism was the failure to get him back which was totally on Cullen.

How were we not expecting to need one in 2008 when the club knew that Bennett was going to sign with the Sydney City in 2006 before that fell through and the club would have known that relations with Bennett (Cullen) were strained. You make all the excuses you want, we have failed dismally at succession planning.

The club tried to sign smith and JT (not 100% sure about JT), but they were at clubs who could match our offers and they didn’t want to leave. Smith was coming to Brisbane until his ‘wife’ convinced him to stay.

People in the media talk about how much cash we have, but we’re still bound by the cap. If it didn’t exist then the criticism would be warranted.

If you have not developed the necessary resources in house, you then do whatever you do to secure what you need in the market. If you do this, you place yourself in the position that the Roosters are currently in. If you don't, look no further than our current position.

@Foordy and @Battler, can you both honestly say that you believe that in terms of recruiting, retention and development that the club has been professionally and competently managed in the last 12 years?

But his point is also invalid saying white has been through 4 or 5 coaches.

Last edited:
@Foordy and @Battler, can you both honestly say that you believe that in terms of recruiting, retention and development that the club has been professionally and competently managed in the last 12 years?

Are there actually fans who can read that still think the club has been run well for a decade? Or that our recruiters and scouts are actually good?

Can't be, surely.

Our recuitment and retention for last decade has been absolute garbage. Honestly I think Lockyer should get a lions share of the blame for some of these retirement contracts we've been handing out.

Are there actually fans who can read that still think the club has been run well for a decade? Or that our recruiters and scouts are actually good?

Can't be, surely.
I think you know my thoughts. Since 2010 who could we call a marquee signing that this club has made? I can only really identify Milford, and that has not really worked out as well as what they had hoped.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • unnerv1ng
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.