Tamou Done For DUI - Suspended for Origin 2

Re: Tamou Done For DUI

The only punishment these guys understand would be a football ban.

Monetary fines are useless when you earn the dollars these guys do,

You have to hit them where it hurts most.

I don't know about "jailable" for a first offence but definitely a second offence. I also think DUI drivers should have their car impounded just like "hoons".
Doesn't have to be long the first time. A month will do, as long as no damage or injuries happened obviously.

Doesn't have to be long the first time. A month will do, as long as no damage or injuries happened obviously.
I'd hate to go jail even for a week! Maybe a week in jail for a first time offence, just so they get a taste of what 6 months or a year is like if they repeat offend. I'm sure almost no one will DUI again after spending a week in jail.

Why and how are they role models? They play sport for a living and most of them are uneducated. Most of the comments they say are scripted and provided to them by the club. If you sit there and encourage your children for example to have rugby league players in particular to be "role models" you should definitely change your parenting mentality. A child's role model should always be their parents.
They are role models as they are in the public eye and kids do look up to players and want to be just like them when they grow up. To say just because they play a sport professionally makes them any less of a role model is stupid. Sport is still a business and brand at the end of the day and with the money you can earn (if you are good enough) is just another avenue that kids look as a future for them.

You generalise players being uneducated. Most players now days come through the NYC programme that has a lot of development and involvement in secondary studies, before they reach first grade and players who missed the NYC programme would be involved in studies to be prepared for life after football.

We will never be like the NFL in regards to the pathway that players will make to the top level of having to go through a college league. In the last 10 years I would assume we would have almost an 100% raise in the amount of players who have some sort of secondary study playing first grade. Don't forget the players that also have trades.

Players have media training to prepare for the spotlight and the shark like nature that questions can come their way by journos. Media managers can only protect the players so much, some players are generally shy and only enjoy playing footy and hate the media spotlight.

I don't have kids but even when I was a kid, I had my role models outside of my parents and some played professional sports. I don't see it as problem.

With regards to your comment about losing your job that's primarily due to the fact that without a licence you would not be able to commute to work; not because your work has specifically sacked you due to drink driving. It's completely different. Find another way to get to work if so (car pool, bus, ride a bike) it might be inconvenient but its no excuse for quitting on your own accord as a result of losing your privilege to drive.

No, I drive for a living (at the moment). If I lost my licence, I lose my job. It doesn't matter if it was because of drink driving or speeding offences. I would be told by my boss "sorry, there is no work available for you because you have no licence. Call me back when you get your licence back and we will see what is available". This isn't quitting, this is getting fired.

To stay on topic. I think the NRL need to look at previous off field alcohol issues (Myles and Carney) and give Tamou a similar punishment. If he misses game 2 because of it then so be it.

Last edited:

I'd hate to go jail even for a week! Maybe a week in jail for a first time offence, just so they get a taste of what 6 months or a year is like if they repeat offend. I'm sure almost no one will DUI again after spending a week in jail.

I think if people knew they'd spend a month in jail if they blow 0.1 they'd not drink drive. Isn't that the point? Clearly people are too stupid to think "I might kill someone's mum/dad/son/daughter so I better no drive" but the thought of them going to jail might just get through their selfish retardation.

I think if people knew they'd spend a month in jail if they blow 0.1 they'd not drink drive. Isn't that the point? Clearly people are too stupid to think "I might kill someone's mum/dad/son/daughter so I better no drive" but the thought of them going to jail might just get through their selfish retardation.
Well yes but there's a fine line between punishment and over punishment. For me a week in jail would be well and truly enough deterrent.

I think a month is fair. Better than ruining someone's life by killing a loved one.

Well yes but there's a fine line between punishment and over punishment. For me a week in jail would be well and truly enough deterrent.
Not enough in my opinion, at least not when compared to the potential consequences...

Yep. And first offence or not, there's no excuse. We all know the danger. Zero tolerance is the only approach.

It's hard to say what a fair punishment is really. 1 week in jail, a criminal record + a massive fine and having your car impounded would be plenty enough punishment for me but if it's just a no hoper who's happy to live off Centrelink then the criminal record and week in jail don't mean much.

Unless you're a rugby league player of course, criminal records don't have any effect on employment.

Well yes but there's a fine line between punishment and over punishment.

He must have done something wrong to lose his licence & he was punished for that.

Yet he breaks the law again, not once but twice by being 4 times over the limit & driving unlicenced.

So he didn't take the punishment that a court gave him. He is basically giving the bird to the judicial system.

He must have done something wrong to lose his licence & he was punished for that.

Yet he breaks the law again, not once but twice by being 4 times over the limit & driving unlicenced.

So he didn't take the punishment that a court gave him. He is basically giving the bird to the judicial system.
Oh I'd be happy for Tamou to get jail time, I was more so referring to first time offenders.

Tamou Done For DUI

They are role models as they are in the public eye and kids do look up to players and want to be just like them when they grow up. To say just because they play a sport professionally makes them any less of a role model is stupid. Sport is still a business and brand at the end of the day and with the money you can earn (if you are good enough) is just another avenue that kids look as a future for them.

You generalise players being uneducated. Most players now days come through the NYC programme that has a lot of development and involvement in secondary studies, before they reach first grade and players who missed the NYC programme would be involved in studies to be prepared for life after football.

We will never be like the NFL in regards to the pathway that players will make to the top level of having to go through a college league. In the last 10 years I would assume we would have almost an 100% raise in the amount of players who have some sort of secondary study playing first grade. Don't forget the players that also have trades.

Players have media training to prepare for the spotlight and the shark like nature that questions can come their way by journos. Media managers can only protect the players so much, some players are generally shy and only enjoy playing footy and hate the media spotlight.

I don't have kids but even when I was a kid, I had my role models outside of my parents and some played professional sports. I don't see it as problem.

No, I drive for a living (at the moment). If I lost my licence, I lose my job. It doesn't matter if it was because of drink driving or speeding offences. I would be told by my boss "sorry, there is no work available for you because you have no licence. Call me back when you get your licence back and we will see what is available". This isn't quitting, this is getting fired.

To stay on topic. I think the NRL need to look at previous off field alcohol issues (Myles and Carney) and give Tamou a similar punishment. If he misses game 2 because of it then so be it.

Kids want to be like them in relation to how they play the game. This is where the distinction should be made on how they are on it and how they are off it. Kids should use certain players and "copy" them I.e. Thurstons dummy or Marshall's step but they shouldn't be copying there embarrassing antics off the field. Each to their own though.

LOL at the fact you used the NYC as an example of players being educated. Just because they are forced to do some sort of study does not mean they put any effort / excel in it. Bar the really small percentage of players who have a degree/qualification which is worthwhile/took effort to achieve the rest of them are retarded that can't string a sentence together.

As a league fan I am embarrassed at the piss poor quality of interviews compared to other sports. It seems as if a high percentage of league players are drop outs with the bare minimum education. That is why Cooper Cronks interview last week was such a surprise/breath of fresh air.

I am not a fan of players being role models. Stay in school kids.

Better to have a role model like that Mozart character from that Amadeus movie. He banged a lot, but still contributed to their society and certainly never drank and drove.

Press release by NSWRL just stated that drink driving is no longer a criminal offence if it involves one of their players.

They are going to petition the NRL to have it implemented, it will be named the Gallen ACT.

I'm certain he'll do community work on the dangers of drink driving. he'll undergo alcohol counseling too

How can you avoid this situation in the future James?

Nuxt tym I won't huv a full sux puck in muh chully bun eh cuz?

Last edited:

Very disappointing news from Tamou. Last week Big League ran a feature on him where he revealed that the Cowboys stuck by him even when he'd arrive to training inebriated.

If NSW had any decency they would stand him down like Queensland stood down Myles after poop-gate.

Why and how are they role models? They play sport for a living and most of them are uneducated. Most of the comments they say are scripted and provided to them by the club. If you sit there and encourage your children for example to have rugby league players in particular to be "role models" you should definitely change your parenting mentality. A child's role model should always be their parents.

With regards to your comment about losing your job that's primarily due to the fact that without a licence you would not be able to commute to work; not because your work has specifically sacked you due to drink driving. It's completely different. Find another way to get to work if so (car pool, bus, ride a bike) it might be inconvenient but its no excuse for quitting on your own accord as a result of losing your privilege to drive.

Mate, plenty of businesses sack their staff for this. It is a bad image for the company and most people dont want to associate with a scumbag that would risk the lives of innocent people by driving when they are 4 times the legal limit. In my case it is a blanket rule in our organisation that if you dont have a licence you dont have a job. We had a case like this about a year ago where someone lost their licence for being excessive over the limit and he made all the promises about public transport etc. but we decided to let him go because its an indication of the kind of person you are that you would get behind the wheel with such little regard for human life.

As for them being role models, it is naive to claim that they are not. They may not want to be but these days they are. It's part of the territory and its part of the pay cheque. They don't choose to be role models,through being in a position of admiration and in the public eye they become role models, and there isnt a sportsmen alive today that doesnt understand that.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
  • Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.