Tamou Done For DUI - Suspended for Origin 2

Re: Tamou Done For DUI

The only punishment these guys understand would be a football ban.

Monetary fines are useless when you earn the dollars these guys do,

You have to hit them where it hurts most.

Completely agree. There was an article in the CM this morning saying something similar. When you are on disposable income like Tamou a fine means shit. The only thing that will hurt him is sitting on the sidelines while his mates struggle on the field without him

The only punishment these guys understand would be a football ban.

Monetary fines are useless when you earn the dollars these guys do,

You have to hit them where it hurts most.

100% correct, and it will send a message out to other potential d!ckheads playing League that it's not tolerated.

And to those who think that players aren't role models, shouldn't be role models, and their private lives should be seperate from their profession, I'm sorry, but that is in no way correct. They're basically part of Australia's biggest reality TV show. RL itself prides itself on appealing to the blue-collar type, the knockabout, the exact type of person who's likely to have a beer or two after a big day. Or three. Or five. It's these people that need to have a stern reminder that ignorance is not an excuse, and that no matter who you are it should impact on your livelihood as a reminder, whether it means your missus has to grudgingly drive you to work every day, or you have to catch the bus, whatever. Remember, these guys are getting paid to be on show. They want the big dollars, well sorry to say it, the big dollars come from advertising and sponsorship. If they don't want to be a role model, let them give up their 3rd party sponsorships. Give up the portion of salary that comes from club sponsorship or from the NRL via advertising. If they don't want to be a role model, let them play for match payments of $1000 a game. Let's see how long it is before they want their dollars, and they'll see that doing the right thing isn't necessarily so hard.

Kids want to be like them in relation to how they play the game. This is where the distinction should be made on how they are on it and how they are off it. Kids should use certain players and "copy" them I.e. Thurstons dummy or Marshall's step but they shouldn't be copying there embarrassing antics off the field. Each to their own though.

LOL at the fact you used the NYC as an example of players being educated. Just because they are forced to do some sort of study does not mean they put any effort / excel in it. Bar the really small percentage of players who have a degree/qualification which is worthwhile/took effort to achieve the rest of them are retarded that can't string a sentence together.

As a league fan I am embarrassed at the **** poor quality of interviews compared to other sports. It seems as if a high percentage of league players are drop outs with the bare minimum education. That is why Cooper Cronks interview last week was such a surprise/breath of fresh air.

Role models. I fucking hate this argument.

So, if your kid turns out to be a little shit, is it James Tamou's (or the NRL generally for allowing player's indiscretions) fault?

100% correct, and it will send a message out to other potential d!ckheads playing League that it's not tolerated.

And to those who think that players aren't role models, shouldn't be role models, and their private lives should be seperate from their profession, I'm sorry, but that is in no way correct. They're basically part of Australia's biggest reality TV show. RL itself prides itself on appealing to the blue-collar type, the knockabout, the exact type of person who's likely to have a beer or two after a big day. Or three. Or five. It's these people that need to have a stern reminder that ignorance is not an excuse, and that no matter who you are it should impact on your livelihood as a reminder, whether it means your missus has to grudgingly drive you to work every day, or you have to catch the bus, whatever. Remember, these guys are getting paid to be on show. They want the big dollars, well sorry to say it, the big dollars come from advertising and sponsorship. If they don't want to be a role model, let them give up their 3rd party sponsorships. Give up the portion of salary that comes from club sponsorship or from the NRL via advertising. If they don't want to be a role model, let them play for match payments of $1000 a game. Let's see how long it is before they want their dollars, and they'll see that doing the right thing isn't necessarily so hard.

Football players are like movie stars to kids. And yes, it is like a great big reality show.

But it's not the NRL or James Tamou's job to teach kids their values.

If you naive enough to not understand that your kids are hard wired to mimic, copy and follow THEIR PARENTS' behaviours, morals and values then you are down right stupid.

Look at yourself before you look at NRL players.

Role models. I ****ing hate this argument.

So, if your kid turns out to be a little ****, is it James Tamou's (or the NRL generally for allowing player's indiscretions) fault?

No, nobody's ever saying that. What people are saying is that such examples are just another thing parents have to warn their kids about. In reality, drink driving is probably not as much an issue as someone fighting on the field or arguing with the referee - because the kids who will be impressionable to the misdoings of their idols aren't old enough to drive, but they will be more than capable of emulating their behaviour towards other players and officials in whatever sport they play.

I saw it as a referee at oztag. Kids come through with no respect for officials, and they use the same tone, the same mannerisms as the so-called professional captains.

Absolutely it's up to the parents and coaches to snap them out of that behaviour, but it just makes it hard when you tell them it's wrong to do it, and then you see Jamie Lyon, Paul Gallen, Sam Thaiday et al in the face of officials, swearing, waving their arms around at every penalty.

I certainly wouldn't expect a kid to go out tomorrow and get drunk and drive and then say "but James Tamou did it".

Football players are like movie stars to kids. And yes, it is like a great big reality show.

But it's not the NRL or James Tamou's job to teach kids their values.

If you naive enough to not understand that your kids are hard wired to mimic, copy and follow THEIR PARENTS' behaviours, morals and values then you are down right stupid.

Look at yourself before you look at NRL players.

Yes it is the parents job to teach them behaviours, values and morals. As I will be teaching my son, as you would teach your kids and everyone else on here im sure would do.

They unfortunate part and the reality of the situation is that not all parents do this and it is a fact that they are role models, even though they shouldnt be

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think the same argument eventually comes up every time one of these threads is started.

The problem here is that the NRL's response is not going to act as a deterrent to anyone; other players, the lads at the pub who are on their fifth beer or your children.

There is already a sufficient deterrent (a large fine, criminal offence, you can't enter a number of countries eg. Canada). With drink driving and other player "indiscretions" the players know the risk.

They choose to accept it and run the gauntlet. Dumb, yes. Risky, yes. But then again so is running full pelt 15 times every week into a 110kg brick wall.

As an aside, there is plenty of research that extreme punishment like mandatory sentencing and criminalising marginal behaviours (like drink driving, possession of marijuana) doesn't reduce the rate of offending but simply fills jails and takes up administrative resources that could be used for more serious crimes.

Drawing a long bow, the Tamou incident. The police are dealing with it. Dave Smith will no doubt release some puppet media statement looking like a European banker that should be lunching and not the public face of a working man's game saying that it won't be tolerated while still having VB, XXXX and bundy rum and the like as his principal backers.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think the same argument eventually comes up every time one of these threads is started.

The problem here is that the NRL's response is not going to act as a deterrent to anyone; other players, the lads at the pub who are on their fifth beer or your children.

There is already a sufficient deterrent (a large fine, criminal offence, you can't enter a number of countries eg. Canada). With drink driving and other player "indiscretions" the players know the risk.

They choose to accept it and run the gauntlet. Dumb, yes. Risky, yes. But then again so is running full pelt 15 times every week into a 110kg brick wall.

As an aside, there is plenty of research that extreme punishment like mandatory sentencing and criminalising marginal behaviours (like drink driving, possession of marijuana) doesn't reduce the rate of offending but simply fills jails and takes up administrative resources that could be used for more serious crimes.

Drawing a long bow, the Tamou incident. The police are dealing with it. Dave Smith will no doubt release some puppet media statement looking like a European banker that should be lunching and not the public face of a working man's game saying that it won't be tolerated while still having VB, XXXX and bundy rum and the like as his principal backers.

Yes obviously playing league is risky too, but all involved know the risks and willingly go into it prepared for the consequences. The innocent people walking or driving to work, or home to their families shouldn't be at risk of dying because some arse hole who thinks he's above the law has had a skinful and wants to drive.

Tamou Done For DUI

Well then the parents that don't do it and are naive enough to think that by using sport stars as role models for their children will lead to their children being better people definitely need a reality check.

Tamou Done For DUI

Yes obviously playing league is risky too, but all involved know the risks and willingly go into it prepared for the consequences. The innocent people walking or driving to work, or home to their families shouldn't be at risk of dying because some arse hole who thinks he's above the law has had a skinful and wants to drive.

Exactly right. Which just proves to you how retarded a large percentage of league players are as well as how they should definitely not be viewed as role models.

Sorry mate, but when you put those 2 things on the same level of ernst, you don't appear to take it seriously. I don't know if anyone has ever died for possession of marijuana, except if he/she was shot for it, but I sure as hell can't say the same for drink driving.

You're essentially aiming an uncontrolled deadly weapon at the general public, especially when over 0.1, so yeah, jail time is warranted.

Well then the parents that don't do it and are naive enough to think that by using sport stars as role models for their children will lead to their children being better people definitely need a reality check.

Mate, its not like parents say "you see that tamou guy, I want you to be like him" Kids see these guys, they are living a good life, the are admired etc etc and they want to be that. Kids make decisions based on examples and consequences. So in this example if Tamou happens to be a favourite player for a kid, they see that he gets arrested for being 4 times the limit he would naturally wonder what the consequences would be. When he sees that the NRL do **** all, the cowboys do **** all cos they need him and NSWRL come out and say "sweet bro, nah he'll play hey he'll be sweet" what kind of deterrent is that. However, if he is made an example of, and not hero worshipped by halfwits, it sends a message that drink driving is for fucking idiots

Exactly right. Which just proves to you how retarded a large percentage of league players are as well as how they should definitely not be viewed as role models.

Mate we agree that the shouldnt be role models, unfortunately that doesn't mean that they are not

Mate we agree that the shouldnt be role models, unfortunately that doesn't mean that they are not

Bingo! You have to remember there are a lot of kids out there whose parents are less than great. Kids search for other role models...and sporting heroes are a strong candidate.

Players and others can bitch that they're not role models and it's unfair to be judged differently to your average person, but that's just part of the package of being an elite sportsman in Australia.

I idolised guys like Lockyer, Langer and Tallis growing up but I never, ever tried to emulate their off field behaviour, why the **** would I? I idolised them for what they did on the field, not off it.

When I had my kid dreams about Locky being a role model it was about throwing a pass like Locky, not about tackling a manager in a bar. Maybe I'm different but I certainly never tried to emulate sports stars behaviours off the field no matter how much I adored them.

Bingo! You have to remember there are a lot of kids out there whose parents are less than great. Kids search for other role models...and sporting heroes are a strong candidate.

Players and others can bitch that they're not role models and it's unfair to be judged differently to your average person, but that's just part of the package of being an elite sportsman in Australia.
That's a fair point, didn't think of that. I can imagine kids with bad parents who naturally don't respect them need someone else to look up to.

Tamou Done For DUI

Mate, its not like parents say "you see that tamou guy, I want you to be like him" Kids see these guys, they are living a good life, the are admired etc etc and they want to be that. Kids make decisions based on examples and consequences. So in this example if Tamou happens to be a favourite player for a kid, they see that he gets arrested for being 4 times the limit he would naturally wonder what the consequences would be. When he sees that the NRL do **** all, the cowboys do **** all cos they need him and NSWRL come out and say "sweet bro, nah he'll play hey he'll be sweet" what kind of deterrent is that. However, if he is made an example of, and not hero worshipped by halfwits, it sends a message that drink driving is for ****ing idiots

I completely agree with you. But my main gripe is that just like I made choices when I was growing up as a mad league fan in the backyard running around like I was Lockyer etc; I was always aware enough to know that a footy player is just that. They may no how to put up a spiral bomb but clearly don't know how to conduct their lives off the field without some club representative holding hands with them and guiding them through life.

If other children can't make that distinction then I'm afraid to say that it falls squarely on the parents and the child's education.

Using them as a role model on how to conduct yourself on the field is completely different to using them as life coaches off it.

Sorry mate, but when you put those 2 things on the same level of ernst, you don't appear to take it seriously. I don't know if anyone has ever died for possession of marijuana, except if he/she was shot for it, but I sure as hell can't say the same for drink driving.

You're essentially aiming an uncontrolled deadly weapon at the general public, especially when over 0.1, so yeah, jail time is warranted.

I guess you kinda missed my point.

Tamou's reading of 0.2 is in a different category. There is a certain mandatory intoxication level at which DUI becomes dangerous driving.

On your point, 0.04 is "legal". Something as innocuos as another sip of your beer might put you at 0.06, which is illegal but has no real effect on your ability to drive a car versus the person at 0.04.

0.04, you drive home.

0.06, you have a permanent criminal record.

One sip (a barman's overpour perhaps?) changes your life.

Is that fair? Does criminalising someone in those circumstances benefit, or hinder that person and society as a whole.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.