The Ashes 2009

Scotty said:
Jeba said:
Scotty said:
Would you put it past him though? It amazes me when Australians whinge about other teams not following "the spirit of the game" as if Australia has a completely clean slate

Yeh but you always whinge about the Australians.

And you reckon Ricky would've done the same, well he had the opportunity to do it, in the exact same situation in 2005, but he didn't. So what more proof do you need?
Yeah you're completely right jeb. You've given me one instance where he hasn't done it and therefore he's above such behaviour. In 2005 Australia had a chance to win the 2nd test and went for it. England in this test saw the draw as a best possible outcome and went for it. It's pretty lame of them but i would expect most teams to do the same under the circumstances.

You must be thinking of a different match. In 2005 Ponting and Brett Lee batted for ages playing for a draw because they were no hope of winning. Eventually the Poms couldn't bowl us out and we got the draw. You seemed certain that Ricky would've done the same thing under the same circumstances, and I have given you an example of the same situation and the same circumstances, and Ricky didn't use the tactics.

Jeba said:
Scotty said:
Jeba said:
Scotty said:
Would you put it past him though? It amazes me when Australians whinge about other teams not following "the spirit of the game" as if Australia has a completely clean slate

Yeh but you always whinge about the Australians.

And you reckon Ricky would've done the same, well he had the opportunity to do it, in the exact same situation in 2005, but he didn't. So what more proof do you need?
Yeah you're completely right jeb. You've given me one instance where he hasn't done it and therefore he's above such behaviour. In 2005 Australia had a chance to win the 2nd test and went for it. England in this test saw the draw as a best possible outcome and went for it. It's pretty lame of them but i would expect most teams to do the same under the circumstances.

You must be thinking of a different match. In 2005 Ponting and Brett Lee batted for ages playing for a draw because they were no hope of winning. Eventually the Poms couldn't bowl us out and we got the draw. You seemed certain that Ricky would've done the same thing under the same circumstances, and I have given you an example of the same situation and the same circumstances, and Ricky didn't use the tactics.
What match are you thinking of? In any case, prove to me that Ponting has never been guilty of time wasting or even so much as condoned it and I'll change my opinion that he's a hypocrite. Most sports teams do it, so I'd suspect that Ricky Ponting wouldn't have a problem with it.. but only if it's his team using the tactics obviously.

It was the third test.

I think I have given enough proof that when Ricky Ponting had the opportunity to use time-wasting tactics, he didn't resort to that. Can you give me any examples of when he did use such tactics??

I think it's a great tactic IMO. If you're no hope of winning, why not employ it? Draw the test and get a fresh start in the next one. A draw is much better than a loss.

Probably not - but what is the spirit of the game nowadays?

Jeba said:
It was the third test.

I think I have given enough proof that when Ricky Ponting had the opportunity to use time-wasting tactics, he didn't resort to that. Can you give me any examples of when he did use such tactics??
I can't, but what I'm saying is he isn't above these "tactics" and he isn't stupid either. Under certain circumstances of course he would try and waste time. If this series is say 1-1 by the 5th test and Australia are batting last, losing wickets fast with no hope of winning, of course you're gonna try and slow things down to get the draw. In this case the English couldn't win but could get a draw which could have a bearing on the outcome of the series. Ricky is just angry cause his bowlers couldn't clean up the english tail enders.

Scotty said:
Jeba said:
It was the third test.

I can't, but what I'm saying is he isn't above these "tactics" and he isn't stupid either. Under certain circumstances of course he would try and waste time. If this series is say 1-1 by the 5th test and Australia are batting last, losing wickets fast with no hope of winning, of course you're gonna try and slow things down to get the draw. In this case the English couldn't win but could get a draw which could have a bearing on the outcome of the series. Ricky is just angry cause his bowlers couldn't clean up the english tail enders.

Well it was pretty much the same situation in 2005. It was 1-1, Australia had no chance of a win, and they toughed it out for the draw. Didn't call for the gloves after changing them only 1 over ago, and didn't call for the physio to just stand out there showing off his tits.

Ponting should be quite happy really. Apart from the failure to get that last wicket we comfortably shat all over the Poms in the match. If they keep those levels of performance up and don't allow Brett Lee in the team I've got no doubt we'll win the series.

I had a 5 hour stop over in Heathrow and the only good thing about it was reading all the British Papers after day 3 of the test, they were ripping shreds off the bowling attack. Brilliant.

I would have Katich bowling not North but oh well the Aussies are clearly the better side.. I also look forward to Harmison coming in and getting spanked by hughesy... Johnson wasn't at his best this test I am sure he will find some form for the next test.

I think that the draw and subsequent debate and bad blood over delaying tactics is great for the series, hopefully this will spice things up a bit and england come out all guns blazing at Lords and make a contest out of it. Otherwise, I may just end up falling asleep every night again after just a few overs - the 1st test was painfully boring at times.

Hip zee zing dang!

Here we go!

Hilfenkraut to take the ball for the first over.

England won the toss.

Sheissen! Last ball of the over squares Strauss up and through to Haddin.

0-0 after the first over.

46-0...England have been caning Johnson who's been as wild as Rock in a State of Origin thread.

Going for more than 6 runs an over in a test match is unacceptable. Johnson is chucking pies.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • winslow_wong
  • Brocko
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Skyblues87
  • Scdeac
  • Sproj
  • Robboi_321
  • Waynesaurus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncos4life
  • Wild Horse
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Allo
  • barker
  • Fozz
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.