The Ashes 2010-2011

m1c said:
I think the Aus top 6 is in shambles, I've got no clue on their correct order. But IMO I'd have the following..

Katich 35
Watson 29
Khawaja 24
Clarke 29
M. Hussey 35
D. Hussey 33
B. Haddin 33

Dads Army and we would still suck. I just can't see the value in it TBH. Time to take a leaf out of past Australian team and gamble on youth.

I'm a cricket noob (is this the word kids use these days), I mean I can bowl alright but I've never played any sort apart from High School (inter-school) comps in Cricket. Can someone please explain the order of batting?? For example, what makes a good opener, what are the traits and why? I just see batsmen...

Ghibli said:
I'm a cricket noob (is the word kids use these days), I mean I can bowl alright but I've never played any sort apart from High School (inter-school) comps in Cricket. Can someone please explain the order of batting?? For example, what makes a good opener, what are the traits and why? I just see batsmen...

Did you ever see Matthew Hayden bat???? That is an opener..

Hot spot is a shambles.
The most obvious and clearly defined 'mark' is not on any bat, it is on the top of Doug 'The Rug' Bollinger's head - you can clearly see the outline of his bald patch and the outline of the shagpile that covers it during hotspot replays.

Therefore, maybe batsmen should consider glueing snippets of hair to the edge of their bats to confuse the technology and Greigy's interpretation.

For more accuracy, I would like to see batsmen glue curly pubic hair on the edges of their willow when they face spinners / swing merchants to counter the movement of the ball.

Personally, I think it will catch on.
Thoughts?

I think you need to cut down on the peyote.

Bucking Beads said:
Ghibli said:
I'm a cricket noob (is this the word kids use these days), I mean I can bowl alright but I've never played any sort apart from High School (inter-school) comps in Cricket. Can someone please explain the order of batting?? For example, what makes a good opener, what are the traits and why? I just see batsmen...

Did you ever see Matthew Hayden bat???? That is an opener..

Yes, but I don't know enough about cricket to know why he was a good opener. Can anyone go through like positions 1-7/tail and explain what is the characteristic that each should display?

Take Langer and Hayden as openers.

Hayden would take the fight to the bowlers with an aggressive batting style and not letting them dictate the opening.

Langer was the more patient of the pair and would accumulate rather then outright dominate.

I think the traits needed by the opening pair are pretty much summed up by one of the best opening partnerships ever.

Guys feel free to add to the "traits" list

Browny said:

Hayden would take the fight to the bowlers with an aggressive batting style and not letting them dictate the opening.

Langer was the more patient of the pair and would accumulate rather then outright dominate.

I think the traits needed by the opening pair are pretty much summed up by one of the best opening partnerships ever.

Yeah but Langer would often dominate instead of Hayden. Truly unreal opening pair IMO. They changed role as the game dictated.

Thanks for the summation on the openers Browny. So we have this:

Opener 1: Take the fight to the bowlers with an aggressive batting style and not letting them dictate the opening.

Opener 2: (as above) or the more patient of the pair, accumulates rather then outright dominate.

Numer 3:????

Bucking Beads said:
Browny said:

Yeah but Langer would often dominate instead of Hayden. Truly unreal opening pair IMO. They changed role as the game dictated.

I just seem to remember Hayden smashing em more then Alfie.

Ghibli said:
Thanks for the summation on the openers Browny. So we have this:

Opener 1: Take the fight to the bowlers with an aggressive batting style and not letting them dictate the opening.

Opener 2: (as above) or the more patient of the pair, accumulates rather then outright dominate.

Numer 3:????

No 3 is usually your best batsman who should be able to either survive and then counter attack if the bowling dictates early or comes in after a good opening stand and keeps the momentum going.

No 4 is kinda the same

Thanks Browny, quick question, why wouldn't you have your best batsmen from the word go?

So we have

Numer 3: The team's best batsman, who should be able to either, survive and then counter attack if the bowling dictates early, or comes in after a good opening stand and keeps the momentum going.

Number 4: As per 'Number 3'

Keep it goin' peeps!

Sometimes the fattest guy in the team can be made to open as some sort of sacrifice.

I said this earlier in the series, why don't they use Snicko instead of or as well as Hotspot when a caught behind is referred? Snicko clearly showed an edge!!!

Oh and don't you love the media - Hughes and Bell are cheats apparently :roll:

Jeba said:
I said this earlier in the series, why don't they use Snicko instead of or as well as Hotspot when a caught behind is referred? Snicko clearly showed an edge!!!

Oh and don't you love the media - Hughes and Bell are cheats apparently :roll:

Only to Boofhead botham

Browny said:
Bucking Beads said:
Browny said:

I just seem to remember Hayden smashing em more then Alfie.

Oh he did but they certainly changed roles from time to time..

Openers: Have to have excellent defence, ability to handle the ball moving around a lot, and to score runs whenever a loose ball is given. Once they see through the opening bowling barrage, they need to be able to go on with it and put on a big partnership. As Browny said, Hayden and Langer were consummate professionals in this area.

No 3: Effectively the same skillset as an opener. Need to be able to cope with the moving ball and defend and see it through, as well as putting the loose balls away and then going on with it.

No 4: Similar to No 3, but probably needs to be able to score more freely. Generally you'd hope to come in at around 2/100 in Test cricket, and you want to continue and lift momentum. But if you do come in at 2/10, you need the ability to put your head down, hang around, and see your team through. Clarke is one of the worst number 4s I've ever seen.

No 5: typically a real strokemaker IMO. Someone who can come in and keep the scoreboard ticking over.

No 6: Even more of a strokemaker, but also capable of playing a support role if a 1-4 batsman is on a roll, as well as being prepared to work with the tail if wickets fall.

No 7: traditionally the keeper, who could bat a little bit, but since Gilchrist people seem to think your wicketkeeper needs to be able to score 100 every innings. Defence isn't usually a big deal for them, they're all about scoring runs.

No 8-11....well, you just hope you have some bowlers that have some ability to bat! [icon_lol1.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Jazza
  • The Don
  • Broncorob
  • bazza
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Broncosgirl
  • Midean
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncoscope
  • broncs30
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • peter09
  • Allo
  • LittleDavey
  • ezpz
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.