The Ashes 2010-2011

Totally agree, now we can't produce batsmen who can bat out a day. We need to expand the Shield comp IMO. Two teams playing out of NSW would be ideal. That way we can give more youngsters a game. Maybe bring the Comets back. The Poms have a bloody good County competition IMO.

Bucking Beads said:
Totally agree, now we can't produce batsmen who can bat out a day. We need to expand the Shield comp IMO. Two teams playing out of NSW would be ideal. That way we can give more youngsters a game. Maybe bring the Comets back. The Poms have a bloody good County competition IMO.

Haven't paid much attention to it to be honest. Though I remember about 10 years ago there were calls to drastically reduce the size of the county comp because it was so poor [icon_shru

What I find astonishing is it seems there's no "elite development" squad that's being coached from within the Shield ranks. ie, there seems to have been nothing done with Phil Hughes on his technique since his deficiencies were exposed in 2009.

There's been nothing done to develop spinners.

Just seems to be a lack of proactivity in terms of development after the cricket academy stage. And it was the focus on this long term development that made Australia so fucking good in the first place.

Did cook review after bowdens call or did Bowden review it himself?

They got Lazy during the dominant years and now it will be a good 5 years before we will be competitive again in the test match arena.

Browny said:
Did cook review after bowdens call or did Bowden review it himself?

Bowden reviewed it. I don't like it at all TBH.

So if it was not a wicket would he have reviewed it? No way it's bullshit

Browny said:
So if it was not a wicket would he have reviewed it? No way it's bullshit

not likely and that is where the problem is.

I thought Beer did OK today.

He flights the ball quite well and gets good drop and bounce. A refreshing change from some of these young faux-spinners who peg them in flat and may as well be classed as bowling slow-medium off/leg cutters.

He'll get tonked from time to time but I think he has the potential to take a bag of wickets as well. Going by the way he was landing them today, he might impress on the scoreboard in the 4th innings (if the state of the match allows). We'll see, but I'm just glad he hasn't turned out to be an indisputable pie chucker straight up.

I agree J-dub - very impressed with Beer. Seems to have a great attitude as well.

It was nice to see the crowd right behind him as well, he must've been nervous.

I do agree about Beer I was really happy with the way he bowled. Unlucky not to get the wicket but oh well maybe tomorrow. He has a much better action than Doherty or O'Keefe IMO.

So the ball's swinging early, and we have Siddle opening at the other end with half-tracker after half-tracker. Does he think he's Curtly Ambrose or something? I thought he would've learned by now that he gives himself a better chance when he bowls much fuller (he'll probably snare one off his short shit now).

Mitch or Beer should be given a shot at bowling to Jimmy.

Edit - Well there you go - pitches it up for a few balls and bowls Jimmy. Someone obviously had a word to him.

Credit to Alastair Cook for making big scores, but geez he gets some luck.

I agree with what others have said, Beer hasn't looked terrible. My only blight is that he has fairly poor accuracy for an offspinner. He's particularly struggled with his groupings to the right hander. That may be why he never made it in Victoria.

Loving Pup's captaincy too, he has left Ponting for dead with field placements, initiative and other tactical decisions.

m1c said:
I agree with what others have said, Beer hasn't looked terrible. My only blight is that he has fairly poor accuracy for an offspinner. He's particularly struggled with his groupings to the right hander. That may be why he never made it in Victoria.

Loving Pup's captaincy too, he has left Ponting for dead with field placements, initiative and other tactical decisions.

Disagree. He's changing his bowlers far too often. They can't get into any rhythm.

Coxy said:
Disagree. He's changing his bowlers far too often. They can't get into any rhythm.

Haha, it was gonna be either you or Jeb. :P

Coxy said:
m1c said:

If International bowlers can't find rhythm after 4 overs they deserve to be hooked. You'll find if they are bowl well they stay on icon_thumbs_u

Watson has benefited from this. Along with Harris he has been Australia's most consistent bowler all series. Ponting has underbowled him.

Basic tactics such as forcing Cook to score down the ground, Haddin to 6 and the new rock to Mitch were IMO obvious to Joe Public so I'm not sure why they weren't to Punter.

Well his sensational captaincy has still yielded a flogging on the first innings.

The amazing Hotspot strikes again.

Even Bell knows its complete shit for faint nicks, good referral.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • winslow_wong
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  • Bronx48
  • Xzei
  • jd87
  • kman
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncorob
  • Harry Sack
  • Redux
  • Strop
  • Jazza
  • Inknition
  • Lewisuhahix
  • Galah
  • Morkel
  • Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.