The Broncos Salary Cap: 2023 to 2025

Mam would be more valuable simply because he is playing in a top four side and featuring prominently for the biggest team in the NRL.

With Hass locked in it basically really simplifies our recruitment strategy moving forward and that is we need maximum value for money.

It might mean we have a bit of high turn over in the near future if we can get guys in cheap and they perform well in a quality side and earn themselves upgrades with other clubs after a few years with us.

I think it will be important to try and lock up young forwards on semi long deals in the hope we can get a couple of good output years from them for unders. Also always be on the ready to pick up any Tapau type players who are just chasing one more deal to finish their career but can still manage a quality 30 mins a game for a cheap price.

I've always had the opinion that if you can get your low-mid range players to play above their value you'll go along way to winning a premiership. Its something Melbourne were able to do when they had so much tied up in the big three. It's a big failure of ours over recent history our mid range guys like Alex Glenn, Joe O, Macca, jake turpin and the likes never performed above that mid range status and pay grade.

Fast forward to today and you have guys like Kobe, Jensen, Riki, Walters, Palaisa and probably even Mam who are in that mid range of players but they have regular games where they play like top level kind of players. The key to having super stars like Hass, Walsh and Reynolds is been able to fill the spots around them with the right players.

The thing that makes me most nervous is our Reynolds replacement... whoever that might be. We aren't likely to have a huge sum of cash for a replacement halfback. Our only saving grace might be there are genuinly only 2 or 3 class halfbacks in the comp so not having one might not be as detrimental as it could be. If there's cleary, moses and Hughes then a big gap to the rest maybe we can survive with a mid level run of the mill halfback?

Why would people think Ezra needs anything more than 450?

He's not the man calling the shots, he's a role player. He's not producing the goods merely taking a part in it.

Not every spine member has the same influence and not ever spine member deserves the big dollars.

We have to find serviceable centres and a couple of Jensen style middle players to make it work.
We can't carry 2 world class centres on 700k.
Brad Parker style on 400 ish who is a
solid defensive player who can feed his winger.
Jesse Arthers style wingers as well
We're on the right track to keep everyone we want to keep.
Replacing Reyno is the looming problem more than the other positions imo.

Well if he gets offered a million then I don't think we should try to match it.

Then it will be up to him to decide if he takes the mill and has to be the man now or if he takes unders to stick with broncos and develop whilst he has world class players around him.

Both scenarios are kind of like Luai and Burton... Luai took unders to stay with panthers and be a role player around Cleary, Yeo, etc, but now he's testing the market and is looking for his big pay day.

Whereas Burton took the coin at dogs and looks to be floundering... dogs have continued to pay him overs based on potential... but does he develop into a world class player under their system or does he become lost potential like Milf
How in the world is man worth a million ? 🤣

What's he done?? He hasn't showed playmaking ability or vision to control a team.. he's a role player - and a very good defensive player.

He's not a top line halfback and won't be anytime soon..

People are over hyping him delux. He doesn't need to do anything but be there and play his role. Zero pressure

He's not the man calling the shots, he's a role player. He's not producing the goods merely taking a part in it.

Not every spine member has the same influence and not ever spine member deserves the big dollars.

Have you read the thread? It has been very well articulated.

We have to find serviceable centres and a couple of Jensen style middle players to make it work.
We can't carry 2 world class centres on 700k.
Brad Parker style on 400 ish who is a
solid defensive player who can feed his winger.
Jesse Arthers style wingers as well
We're on the right track to keep everyone we want to keep.
Replacing Reyno is the looming problem more than the other positions imo.
We are going to need more decent middles with losing Palasia and Flegler. They're huge holes to fill.

I think in regards to centres, Herbie is also a massive loss... But Cobbo or Mariner could take that left centre position.

While I agree with this atm , he hasn't played 40 games yet.
He is doing what he needs to do for now.
If we squeeze another season or 2 from Reyno he should be ready to take over by then.

While I agree with this atm , he hasn't played 40 games yet.
He is doing what he needs to do for now.
If we squeeze another season or 2 from Reyno he should be ready to take over by then.
I see no evidence that Ezra could take over as the main playmaker.... Madden has shown more in his limited time than Ezra when he's been asked to step up and control the side

We are going to need more decent middles with losing Palasia and Flegler. They're huge holes to fill.

I think in regards to centres, Herbie is also a massive loss... But Cobbo or Mariner could take that left centre position.
Agree but unfortunately the squeeze is on, we'll be forced to make some decisions.

To be frank, it doesn't matter what you think, it matters what desperate clubs offer.
And it doesn't matter what they offer because I know Mam is smarter than to leave a great club and a good winning culture to seek out money. He's having too much fun for that

Agree but unfortunately the squeeze is on, we'll be forced to make some decisions.
I just don't see this.. the squeeze has already happened. Now we can just keep them because we have the leverage of winning in negotiations

I see no evidence that Ezra could take over as the main playmaker.... Madden has shown more in his limited time than Ezra when he's been asked to step up and control the side

Me either but some of our champions didn't boss it until their mid 20s. Thurston for 1.

Let's assume for a moment in a worst case scenario we did have salary cap pressure to retain Mam and Walsh now that we've retained Haas. Being EXTREMELY conservative, we could let Cobbo, Tapau, Capewell and Staggs go (in that order) in order to free up salary cap room and still field a team that looks like this in coming years:

1) Walsh
2) Hoeter
3) Mariner
4) Arthars
5) Oates
6) Mam
7) Reynolds
8) Haas
9) Walters
10) Jensen
11) Riki
12) Piakura
13) Carrigan

14) Mozer
15) Willison
16) Hetherington
17) Te Kura

That's still extremely competitive as far as a worst case scenario. Especially given that this year and next is when our premiership window is now firmly wide open.

For the first time in a long time we have a competent CEO, coach and front office all working together making sound decisions and thinking ahead planning for the long term success of the club.

None of us should be worried and the talking heads questioning how we can retain all our talent are just sore losers scrambling for some negative angle now that their 'Haas leaves Broncos' pipedream is dead in the water.

Good times ahead.

Clubs that rest on the bottom of the table will overpay on the belief that he either has those traits but plays his role beside Arey or that he can develop them after playing with Arey.

You would be surprised how many 6s are getting a Million.

It's only 1 and thats Munster, considering his involvement, experience and still a bit away from rep footy, I think his next contract can be around the 550k mark for several years.

Mam is very young and should be using this time in a good team to build his reputation and skills that he can cash in later, I think he will only ever be a million dollar player here if he becomes a 7 which I don't see in his game atm, but it's very much early days.

You are talking about the contracts handed out in the past. All totally irrelevant now. New salary cap plus a shortage of good halves equals big money for any good half. Mam is going to get offers of $900k-1 million no problems.

Active Now

• Stix
  • lynx000
  • Fozz
  • Waynesaurus
  • Behind enemy lines
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Maddy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Sproj
  • Inknition
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Galah
  • Bucking Beads
  • Swordfish
  • KateBroncos1812
  • HarryAllan7
  • Lozza
  • Manifesto
  • broncos4life
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.