The Dolphins discussion

To find out what kind of figure to look at for an extension. Likely, his manager wants a large slice of the pie, the kid doesn't really care at this point of his life and the Broncs want to make sure he is remunerated well, its sensible business practice and shows good faith from the club.

I love Cobbo as much as you ... but you have to remember, that it's 2022, not 1992. it would be extremely rare for a player to stay if they receive a significantly bigger offer from a rival, not matter how much the player loves their club.

we've all seen it far too often ... a player say things like "I want to be a x for life" "i've always wanted to play for x" then next minute the sign with a rival for a lot more $$$$

Yep, thats pretty much what they are saying. Its pretty common knowledge his manager has already spoken to the Dolphins. From my way of thinking, thats him saying to Brisbane extend him now or we are going to the market. Its clearly a ploy to put pressure on us to pay him big money now before he has done anything consistently. Could well be the advice he is getting through his management is there are some big signings going to end up at Redcliffe in the next couple of years, and his advisiors are using it to get him tied up to Brisbane early.

I do think he has an offer from the Dolphins and Its obviously going to be an informal, nothing official contract but i'm pretty sure the Dolphins have a figure in mind that Selwynn and his management are happy with. Interesting thing as well is, i believe there is also an offer on the table for a 7 who shares the same management as Cobbo ( and Bellamy will be crying again if it comes off! )
Oh, right. Yeah then we are on the same page. I think that’s just good management. It’s still my (purely speculative) feeling that the preference is to stay - and their comments reflect that. If we don’t extend him we are pretty stupid tbh, if the plan is for him to be our long term fullback he probably deserves $500k plus per year and a pay rise for his current contract.

if the plan is for him to be our long term fullback he probably deserves $500k plus per year and a pay rise for his current contract.

I think that's just fan talk ... and IMO, much of this talk is due to how shit out fullbacks have been for the last 5 years, rather than anything Cobbo has actually done

reading between the lines and I think the clubs long term plan is to turn him into a strike centre

I think that's just fan talk ... and IMO, much of this talk is due to how shit out fullbacks have been for the last 5 years, rather than anything Cobbo has actually done

reading between the lines and I think the clubs long term plan is to turn him into a strike centre
From comments Cobbo does seem to prefer to be a centre which is unfortunate because I think in a year or 2 he would be a perfect fullback. If he is set on being a centre for his whole career then I won’t care as much if he leaves. We already have Staggs - can’t have 2 800k centres and Niu as a fullback.

Oh, right. Yeah then we are on the same page. I think that’s just good management. It’s still my (purely speculative) feeling that the preference is to stay - and their comments reflect that. If we don’t extend him we are pretty stupid tbh, if the plan is for him to be our long term fullback he probably deserves $500k plus per year and a pay rise for his current contract.

Its all about the balance really. He's a potential gun, but he has only played 7 games so far. We need to find that sweet spot where we pay him enough to keep him, but not pay him overs until he actually performs on a regular basis. A staggered contract increasing year after year would be ideal, but i reckon with the Dolphins around ( and probably the Rorters! ) we are probably going to have to bite the bullet and pay up.

Its all about the balance really. He's a potential gun, but he has only played 7 games so far. We need to find that sweet spot where we pay him enough to keep him, but not pay him overs until he actually performs on a regular basis. A staggered contract increasing year after year would be ideal, but i reckon with the Dolphins around ( and probably the Rorters! ) we are probably going to have to bite the bullet and pay up.

I for the first time in about 7 years, trust the club to do the right thing.

From comments Cobbo does seem to prefer to be a centre which is unfortunate because I think in a year or 2 he would be a perfect fullback. If he is set on being a centre for his whole career then I won’t care as much if he leaves. We already have Staggs - can’t have 2 800k centres and Niu as a fullback.

The comment from Kevvie that got me thinking fullback may not be their plans for Cobbo was: "he can also play fullback" seems like it was a bit of an after thought. although who knows what happens in 2 years time.

Mariner could develop into a strike center option and Cobbo could develop the play making ability to have a red hot crack at fullback.

I don't see Nui as a long term fullback ... we may need to go to the market.

The comment from Kevvie that got me thinking fullback may not be their plans for Cobbo was: "he can also play fullback" seems like it was a bit of an after thought. although who knows what happens in 2 years time.

Mariner could develop into a strike center option and Cobbo could develop the play making ability to have a red hot crack at fullback.

I don't see Nui as a long term fullback ... we may need to go to the market.
Cobbo has been saying it too

Dolphins doing a Cobbo to the Cowboy’s Nanai now too. Circling and forcing the cowboys to try extend early and make a statement.

Nanai would be a massive signing for the Phins.

Dobbo reporting (on Triple M's Rush Hour) that Walsh's management has held talks with the Dolphins...

i'll highlight a few interesting things (if he is correct):

Dobbo says:

“That is very true (he wants out), but where he lands ... Brisbane made a commitment to keep Tesi Niu. They are all-in on Tesi Niu at the present moment and very happy with how he’s going,” he said on Triple M’s The Rush Hour.

“Reece Walsh left when he had the first opportunity, and that hasn’t been any way forgotten by Brisbane. Yes, he’s a great player, but isn’t it funny that there’s a new side next year called the Dolphins? And wouldn’t they love - they’re not gonna get Kalyn Ponga - but wouldn’t he be ready-made to wear the No.1 jersey for the Dolphins?

“I’m hearing they’re having conversations, I’m hearing that Dolphins and Reece Walsh’s management have had conversations, and if there’s to be in any way a parting of the ways - because he’s got family here, he’s got a child here that he has to see, he doesn’t want to go over to New Zealand and not see his child.

“That would be a place for him if he doesn’t re-sign with the Broncos, the Dolphins would be a great landing spot.”

He'd be an excellent Bennett signing. Brings some exciting youth to the Dolphins too.

Dobbo reporting (on Triple M's Rush Hour) that Walsh's management has held talks with the Dolphins...

i'll highlight a few interesting things (if he is correct):

Dobbo says:

“That is very true (he wants out), but where he lands ... Brisbane made a commitment to keep Tesi Niu. They are all-in on Tesi Niu at the present moment and very happy with how he’s going,” he said on Triple M’s The Rush Hour.

“Reece Walsh left when he had the first opportunity, and that hasn’t been any way forgotten by Brisbane. Yes, he’s a great player, but isn’t it funny that there’s a new side next year called the Dolphins? And wouldn’t they love - they’re not gonna get Kalyn Ponga - but wouldn’t he be ready-made to wear the No.1 jersey for the Dolphins?

“I’m hearing they’re having conversations, I’m hearing that Dolphins and Reece Walsh’s management have had conversations, and if there’s to be in any way a parting of the ways - because he’s got family here, he’s got a child here that he has to see, he doesn’t want to go over to New Zealand and not see his child.

“That would be a place for him if he doesn’t re-sign with the Broncos, the Dolphins would be a great landing spot.”
Thought it was quite funny when I read that he didnt want to go overseas... yet he signs with New Zealand Warriors... I mean what did he expect haha

Thought it was quite funny when I read that he didnt want to go overseas... yet he signs with New Zealand Warriors... I mean what did he expect haha
rick james cocaine GIF

Wouldn't be surprised if he signed there with the reality they were stuck here for 2 years anyway and the 3rd year was in his favour

Wouldn't be surprised if he signed there with the reality they were stuck here for 2 years anyway and the 3rd year was in his favour

His PO is for the 2024 season ... i doubt he thought they'd stay in Australia for 3 full seasons (including pre-seasons)

I think last year they were always staying, but I didnt think they'd be staying here this year.

NZ had established a travel bubble with Aust last year and the warriors had pencilled in their first NZ home game for about mid last year.... then NSW did NSW things and covid went berserk down there and NZ shut up shop again

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Broncorob
  • Hurrijo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mr Fourex
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
  • Aldo
  • NSW stables
  • heartly87
  • Painin the Haas
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.