SPOILER The dynasty begins: The Brisbane Broncos are winning the 2024 NRL Premiership

A premiership requires a lot of things but some key things are:
- a good team environment
- team playing well
- good depth
- good mix of youth and experienced
- a well balanced team of organisers, talent/x factor, and hard workers
- several players in career best form.
- a healthy squad with minimal injuries (particularly to key players)

We had all this last year, and I thought it was our best shot, so was gutted when they lost.

Unfortunately this year we have lost some of these key aspects. Injuries alone to 3/4 best players by round 3? Shit me dead.

You can't write them off, but **** me dead, give us a break with injuries.
as long as we make top 4 and have a healthy team when it matters I would be as confident as last year.

I think This year our breakouts will be Cobbo and Piakura.

There aren’t many holes in the side but the ones that are there at the moment are gaping. We’ve also got Riki and Walters who have just fallen off a cliff. The bench is a problem and of course injuries. The injured players coming back address the bench but not Riki and Walters - these two right now are my biggest concerns.

There aren’t many holes in the side but the ones that are there at the moment are gaping. We’ve also got Riki and Walters who have just fallen off a cliff. The bench is a problem and of course injuries. The injured players coming back address the bench but not Riki and Walters - these two right now are my biggest concerns.
Riki's not playing too bad. I think he relies on Reynolds a lot to set him up well, but what's happened to his kick chase? (Staggs seems to have taken over that role).

Walters has been off. Maybe worth switching him and smoothy for a while.

The second half showed there was some fight and character in them. Its not all doom and gloom.

Just cant decide where to put Cobbo if Walsh is out for an extended period.

Its either Oates to wing and Arthars in the centres - Cobbo at fullback, or Cobbo centres and Sailor fullback.

The second half showered there was some fight and character in them. Its not all doom and gloom.

Its either Oates to wing and Arthars in the centres - Cobbo at fullback, or Cobbo centres and Sailor fullback.
Sailor at fullback.

Sailor at fullback.

Agreed, Cobbo's defence at fullback worries me. On the wide tries last night, he was often not even in the picture. I think Sailor offers more in that regard.

Surprise surprise when you combine kicking from your own half with the downtown rule Riki isn’t going to be in there faces when that’s what’s at play. He still consistently chases harder than everyone else but when it’s that far of course the likes of Mariner and Staggs will get there first and of course they won’t be right in there face.

Surprise surprise when you combine kicking from your own half with the downtown rule Riki isn’t going to be in there faces when that’s what’s at play. He still consistently chases harder than everyone else but when it’s that far of course the likes of Mariner and Staggs will get there first and of course they won’t be right in there face.
Downturn rule shouldn't affect Riki's kick chase? Has to be onside either way. He was tackling catchers just as they received the ball. Haven't seen it once this year.

Downturn rule shouldn't affect Riki's kick chase? Has to be onside either way. He was tackling catchers just as they received the ball. Haven't seen it once this year.

He doesn't look as fit as last year but he did have a really disrupted preseason.

Our team will be right. It is a tough first 6 weeks but better to happen now than going into finals.

Jock doesn’t have a bomb long enough to do what you want to happen. He punts it and with less air time comes less distance covered from Riki. In the first 2 games Reynolds didn’t put in a single good kick. Riki is chasing harder than ever he just doesn’t have the same circumstances, field position or kicking quality to execute it at the same standard as previously.

Jock doesn’t have a bomb long enough to do what you want to happen. He punts it and with less air time comes less distance covered from Riki. In the first 2 games Reynolds didn’t put in a single good kick. Riki is chasing harder than ever he just doesn’t have the same circumstances, field position or kicking quality to execute it at the same standard as previously.

I thought Reynolds kicked a lot better against Souths, I wouldn't say he didn't have a single good kick.

The second half showed there was some fight and character in them. Its not all doom and gloom.

I'd keep Cobbo at centre. I'd rather not hamper his development in his new position.

We can cover fullback with Sailor

Agreed, Cobbo's defence at fullback worries me. On the wide tries last night, he was often not even in the picture. I think Sailor offers more in that regard.
Wasn't that the one where they went left and then spread it back right. Probably has a number of excuses there as to why he wasn't in the frame.

1. Sailor
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Mariner
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Walters
10. Baker (strictly prop only)
11. Riki
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan
14. Smoothy
15. Hetherington
16. Willison
17. Oates/Hoeter (don’t see how we can run without them for now)

Edit: Hoeter might be a better shout considering he does have the greater backline versatility, has that nuggety build that could prove useful in the pack if needed as well. Think he has played some time at second row. I have no confidence whatsoever with Oates at second row this decision has nothing to do with covering second row and everything to do with not changing an entire fucking team for 7/13 positions possibly injured.

Wasn't that the one where they went left and then spread it back right. Probably has a number of excuses there as to why he wasn't in the frame.

That was the second try. The first, fourth and fifth he basically came trotting across after there was any chance of making a difference. Not saying he should have or could have stopped them, mind you, just thought he could have shown more awareness and hustle.

If we hold on for 6 weeks, we might have a shot provided we Win 3 and Lose 3. if we lose 5-6, we're done for.

Madden wont get us anywhere so we'll have to play with 12, probably.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • I bleed Maroon
  • davidp
  • Strop
  • Organix
  • Xzei
  • Financeguy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fitzy
  • broncsgoat
  • ivanhungryjak
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Astro
  • BroncosAlways
  • Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Waynesaurus
  • Foordy
  • Wolfie
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.