The fight ahead for Corey Oates

Discussion in 'Brisbane Broncos Talk' started by I bleed Maroon, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Caniffe

Caniffe

Plus Blair had a go and came up with nothing. It happens.

Pay Oates what he wants, and put in the contract he can play back row during games where Gillett isn't playing.

2. Sproj

Sproj

The thing that is fantastic about Oates is that although he probably would have liked to have had a shot at Gillett's vacant back-row spot last game, he didn't do a Holmes and sulk but played an absolute blinder.

He is definitely not one we want to lose, he is such a weapon for the team.

Wolfie, rnabokov, JAHHW and 2 others like this.
  3. Oates has been one of my favourite players since his debut. I will be absolutely disgusted if we lose him, particularly to Melbourne. Anyone but those fuckwits because I would still cheer him on for another team when he's not playing against us.

rnabokov, Dee and theshed like this.
  4. roo-ted

roo-ted QCup Player

Seeing him in a Roosters or tits jersey would make me sick... But yes I agree Melbourne would be the worst. Only because they would unlock his complete perennial

5. Kyall

Kyall NRL Player

He would seriously be a beast at second row, we just need to get a good winger in ASAP,

6. Can anyone see Corey making 30+ tackles...week in, week out

and not getting injured?

We'd be doing well to get half a season out of him..........

Lebbo73 likes this.
  7. scobie

scobie BRL Player

I was thinking about the injuries he gets, and maybe it's because he has to keep himself so lean to keep his speed on the wing? If he moved into the 2nd row I reckon he would easily bulk up a few kilos, which might make his body less susceptible to injury.

8. We need to be cautious.

He did well on the wing, but that doesn't necessarily translate into the back row.

If we give him a big deal and he stinks it up, then it hurts us. I would give him the average deal an average backrower will get. Sign him for one year, tell him to prove his worth.

If he does, he gets a much bigger deal when he re-signs.

If he doesn't. He has a choice. Wing or leave.

9. KnToad

KnToad QCup Player

What is is with exceptional wingers wanting to be otherwise?
    Valentine Holmes is a rep winger with an exceptional record on the wing but he doesn't want to be a winger and when he got his way to play fullback he stunk it up.
    Remember good old Josh Hoffman the year he brained it on the wing for us? Delusions of grandeur - he wants to be a 6 and he sucked so bad he stifled our attack. Wasn't happy scoring 20 odd tries on the wing for the Broncos so now his career is pffft.
    Didn't worry Wendell playing on the wing - made him a superstar

Stix, Number6 and Morkel like this.
  10. broncsgoat

broncsgoat NRL Player

Money.

Broncapz likes this.
  11. Sproj

Sproj

Why not actually pay him what’s he is worth. Give him the opportunity in the second row and if it doesn’t work, you know how good he is on the wing. That is exactly what any other team who signs him will do.

They will promise him a long-term shot at second-row and do it in the trials and then as soon as the season starts, they’ll put him back on the wing.

Harry Sack and roo-ted like this.
  12. Why wouldn't you want to be on the wing? You're on the highlights reels constantly.

13. $$$

If he goes I wonder if Seve might be worth a shot on the wing. Making huge meters in ISC.

14. Agree.

The wing position by now should be thought of in much higher terms than the ole cliche of.... "throw the numpty out on the wing".

15. 1910

1910 State of Origin Rep

I said this all last year too. He's backing it up with another good year.

Av 157m a game this year and has 943m from six games. Tackling at 84% too with only seven missed.

16. Maddy1to9

Maddy1to9 BRL Player

I've a suspicion that the Cows are sniffing around to pounce on Oates. They've winger's coming off contract, aging back rowers & JT's off books from next season. They've cash in the cap so might as well sign him up with huge $'s with the assurance that he would play back row.

Financially, I would say Cows are in better shape than us. Hope we work something out with Oates and keep him here for good.

17. Mitch06

Mitch06 NRL Player

If they take him, we should take Gela-Mosby.

18. Foordy

Foordy

and they Just signed Morgan for a million a season

19. Renegade

Renegade NRL Player

They've got 2 players on 1 mill a season each and the likes of cooper, Scott, mclean and lowe on decent money also.

They've got room but they'e not swimming in cash.

20. Sproj

Sproj

These two guys don't have long years left either though.