OFFICIAL The Kevolution - (Walters new coach of the Broncos)

Forget about positions next year, would be happy if we can get a run going, if we manage to do what Titans did at the end of the season it would prove alot more about Kevvies vision then flopping into 8th.

Anyone who doesn't win the premiership is a passenger anyway.

I honestly don't mind the idea of anointing Carrigan as long-term captain. He accounted for himself well this year when he had the C next to his name, he was one of the few who turned up every week and put in a good effort, and it's not like there are other options screaming out to be picked. At this stage Glenn is too injury prone to provide any kind of consistency, and behind him there's... yeah, not much. Lodge potentially, but I still don't think they'll go that route. He'd make a good VC though.

Last edited:
Even 2019 was a disaster though. Yeah we made the 8, but we had something like the lowest cut off to the top 8 in NRL history (someone can fact check this).

I can't hold Walters to the same standards I held Seibold. Seibold came in as the big dog, made a huge song and dance about all this BS he's going to do and having really strong contracts, and signed for 5 years.

Walters is coming in as the second choice guy, on exactly the contract Seibold should have signed (2 years/500k-ish), so even if it doesn't work, it's not going to cripple the club the way Seibold did.

Just so it's on the record though, anything other than a finals finish is a failure, and that goes for Walters too. Now if we miss out by 2 points it's not the end of the world as long as the trajectory looks good but a bottom 4 finish and I'd be wanting Walters gone too. That's not unrealistic, I think if we sacked Seibold at the halfway mark and went with Gentle, we'd have finished like 10-12 instead. We went from turnstyles to semi-not-shit once Gentle took over in a space of two weeks. All Gentle had to work with was himself and... Wong? I imagine Walters with his assistants are much more formidable.
Very fair points and can't really disagree with any of it overall.

I'm always cautious to nominate a minimum standard for where the team must finish though as sometimes a huge portion of that is out of our control. Seibold may well have driven the club into the toilet but even he would likely have struggled to actually run last had our injury toll not been quite so horrific, particularly during that middle portion of the season where we had a run of games against sides that would probably have been beatable had they faced us with a few more of our gun players back.

I expect us to be competing for a Finals spot, probably around the bottom of the 8 assuming we have a more even spread of injuries and our Origin workload isn't too brutal. It wouldn't take much though to have us back in the bottom four though, particularly with more long term injuries to our spine players or guys like Haas, Carrigan, TPJ etc and if we had an injury toll like last year I think I'd be definitely downgrading my projection for our finishing position because frankly no club can really overcome that.

Very fair points and can't really disagree with any of it overall.

I'm always cautious to nominate a minimum standard for where the team must finish though as sometimes a huge portion of that is out of our control. Seibold may well have driven the club into the toilet but even he would likely have struggled to actually run last had our injury toll not been quite so horrific, particularly during that middle portion of the season where we had a run of games against sides that would probably have been beatable had they faced us with a few more of our gun players back.

I expect us to be competing for a Finals spot, probably around the bottom of the 8 assuming we have a more even spread of injuries and our Origin workload isn't too brutal. It wouldn't take much though to have us back in the bottom four though, particularly with more long term injuries to our spine players or guys like Haas, Carrigan, TPJ etc and if we had an injury toll like last year I think I'd be definitely downgrading my projection for our finishing position because frankly no club can really overcome that.

forget finals.....a move 4-5 places from where we are would be a achievement...

On every metric this club has got it wrong...badly wrong......this will literally take years....thats what I'm telling myself, helps put nexts season into some context...

forget finals.....a move 4-5 places from where we are would be a achievement...

On every metric this club has got it wrong...badly wrong......this will literally take years....thats what I'm telling myself, helps put nexts season into some context...
There are plenty of examples of clubs getting nearly everything wrong and still managing to turn it all around in 1-2 seasons. Most of those clubs don't have the significant resources the Broncos do too. The sooner some competent people are put in charge of those resources I expect us to turn things around before too long.

There are plenty of examples of clubs getting nearly everything wrong and still managing to turn it all around in 1-2 seasons. Most of those clubs don't have the significant resources the Broncos do too. The sooner some competent people are put in charge of those resources I expect us to turn things around before too long.
Yep. And look at the worst seasons had by the knights, Eels, or titans. None of those teams had the players we do. This is mostly a coaching issue imo. We have plenty of star power. Compare us to even the bulldogs, they have nobody this season and will have to build from scratch. Even on paper I’d have to say we have a far better team than someone like the tigers.

It’s just about having the right game plan for the team and rebuilding confidence that Seibold destroyed. Wayne Bennett would make this team competitive next season. How good is Kev at having players buy in? I guess we’ll see.

Last edited:
Yep. And look at the worst seasons had by the knights, Eels, or titans. None of those teams had the players we do. This is mostly a coaching issue imo. We have plenty of star power. Compare us to even the bulldogs, they have nobody this season and will have to build from scratch. Even on paper I’d have to say we have a far better team than someone like the tigers.

It’s just about having the right game plan for the team and rebuilding confidence that Seibold destroyed. Wayne Bennett would make this team competitive next season. How good is Kev at having players buy in? I guess we’ll see.
I think even with Seibold in charge we'd possibly be able to climb our way out of the bottom four just by cutting our injury toll down to a more normal level than what we had in 2020.

I think even with Seibold in charge we'd possibly be able to climb our way out of the bottom four just by cutting our injury toll down to a more normal level than what we had in 2020.
Wasn't the injury toll at least partly due to Seibold's training methods and insistence on things like playing Milford at fullback while he was nursing a hamstring injury?

I'd say key factors into our demise this year were
- Injuries - I think we used like 31 players this year and we were at 29 before the halfway point
- Poor discipline during the covid break (coaching/ leadership/ cultural issue)
- covid scheduling - not so much the draw (which was hard as ****), but the requirement to fly in fly out on game day. It would be a massive change to the player's game day routines, making it even harder for the young inexperienced guys
- lack of leadership (poor coaching / cultural issues)
- poor coaching - inconsistencies with team selections (constant chopping and changing, yes injuries didn't help but some changes weren't forced), stubbornous to drop players out of form, stubbornous to modify game plans. Horrendous defence (poor structures, attitude / leadership issues)

Looking at the above the cultural and coaching issues can hopefully be resolved by Kevvie... injuries are largely luck, but hopefully we aren't as unlucky as this year.

Unfortunately we still have a lack of leadership and it would seem the bubble will be back in place next year, but hopefully with some time up their sleeves the NRL is actually looking to work with the governments to come up with a better scheme.

Last edited:
Thaiday is of the opinion that Kevvie should look to the future and name Carrigan as permanent captain next year
I think I would too. He spends most of his time on the field, he's a great trainer, his attitude is without question, his off-field persona strikes me as exactly what we want, he has been reported as doing unnecessary extras to improve himself, he is a year older and wiser, he's the type you know will be willing to bleed for the jersey and will be around for a good while yet so he offers great stability, and finally he is @Wolfie 's favourite to boot so it's a no brainer.

I think I would too. He spends most of his time on the field, he's a great trainer, his attitude is without question, his off-field persona strikes me as exactly what we want, he has been reported as doing unnecessary extras to improve himself, he is a year older and wiser, he's the type you know will be willing to bleed for the jersey and will be around for a good while yet so he offers great stability, and finally he is @Wolfie 's favourite to boot so it's a no brainer.
Despite the undying love for his hair that @Wolfie has, we will need to check Pat’s scalp / family for male pattern baldness to know for sure if he’ll be a great Broncos captain.

Last edited:
Any word on players his looking at yet??

After the finals have concluded there will be a few players changing clubs. Now that they have the salary cap and squads confirmed for this year, we should start to see some player movements.

One place Carrigan severely let us down this year we’re the captains challenges. We rarely used them and when we did they were stupid choices. He’s a smart dude apparently, but he needs to come in and back himself if he has the c next to his name. It’s his team

One place Carrigan severely let us down this year we’re the captains challenges. We rarely used them and when we did they were stupid choices. He’s a smart dude apparently, but he needs to come in and back himself if he has the c next to his name. It’s his team
But even when we get the calls right the bunker mis communicates the outcome with the ref and we still end up losing. You have to admit that the Canberra one when we had momentum was also a total balls up.

Active Now

• Emanon
  • lynx000
  • Wolfie
  • Justwin
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Big Del
  • FACTHUNT
  • winslow_wong
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bucking Beads
  • BruiserMk1
  • theshed
  • Maroon4life
  • Mustafur
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.