The Mysterious Contract of Boyd (Continue the discussion here please, not the Kevvie Thread)

Let's say it is true though (which it of course isn't), imagine losing Lodge, Bird and Joffa to sign...Asiata. Deadset, what a shambles. He isn't even good, let alone worth breaking the bank on.
But he’s a forward that does things forwards don’t normally do. He gets Vossy excited!

Let's say it is true though (which it of course isn't), imagine losing Lodge, Bird and Joffa to sign...Asiata. Deadset, what a shambles. He isn't even good, let alone worth breaking the bank on.

He’s worth a Joffa and that’s it.

Losing Lodge at this point is silly. There’s also no guarantee that the 6 again rule will even be back next season so everyone saying he’s too slow may be worrying for no reason.

Plus many players have come back from knee injuries and been fine

Apologies, I may have poorly explained what I meant by Cullen, not that he was taking on more recruitment work, simply that under Cullen things started to shift for Bennett to an environment where he had an actual contract with the club and as you pointed out, was subject to a more formal review etc.

As for his influence on signings, I absolutely agree that no one on the committee likely has a bigger say than the Coach, be that Bennett or Seibold, and that's not to say anything of the first stint under Bennett where he was almost solely responsible for who the club did and did not sign. Perhaps no Coach since has ever wielded the level influence that Bennett did at the Broncos particularly in his first stint but to a lesser, though still significant extent, in his second stint too.

I guess what I'm trying to say as far as the committee goes though is that whilst Bennett is the one who determines that they need Boyd and how badly they should move things around to make that happen, I would presume the actual negotiation and the financials of the deal are handled by other members of that committee. Wayne Bennett is surely not in charge of balancing our salary cap or determining our method of negotiation or what terms need to be put on the table to get a player and his agent to sign and I would expect the nuts and bolts of getting that deal done to be handled by either Nolan or White or both.

Whether Boyd should have been bought back to the club and then offered another extension after that were very much subjective at the time, but I think we can all agree it didn't realistically work out for the Broncos. Bennett deserves the blame for making a bad call here, however I'm only holding him as culpable as the guys who put together the actual contract and then signed off on it as I think once they had instructions from Bennett to secure Boyd, they failed to leverage the relationship between Boyd and Bennett and their will to work together that should probably have seen us secure Boyd for less than he was objectively worth on the marketplace. If Boyd wanted to work with Bennett I'm absolutely sure they could have convinced him to take unders or a shorter deal or perhaps even both if it was important enough to him.

If Bennett's call to sign and then re-sign Boyd was poor (which it absolutely was) then surely it was only as poor as the club management's inability to negotiate that deal with terms and conditions that were far less favourable to Boyd and far more protective of the Broncos than they ended up being.
It's splitting hairs. You'll find that most major signings like Boyd come down to the CEO dealing with the player-manager to get the deal sorted. However, before and during negotiations, the CEO is working with the coach to understand what their value should be. The coach isn't going to get too caught up in the nuts and bolts of the deal like third party arrangements, clauses etc. but they're aware of the ballpark figures and they have a say on whether they should proceed with negotiations.

I have no doubt that Paul White worked with Boyd and his manager. However, I've seen nothing to support Mimi's hearsay regarding Bennett's involvement.

I think its storm in a teacup to be honest. The club commited for too long, boyd got fair value for his potential and previous form at the time. His form declined, be it lazy or injuries and the club didnt get value and refused or couldn't drop him. Pretty clear cut to me.

Last edited:
D59-E-Z2-Wk-AEd-SLR.jpg

It's splitting hairs. You'll find that most major signings like Boyd come down to the CEO dealing with the player-manager to get the deal sorted. However, before and during negotiations, the CEO is working with the coach to understand what their value should be. The coach isn't going to get too caught up in the nuts and bolts of the deal like third party arrangements, clauses etc. but they're aware of the ballpark figures and they have a say on whether they should proceed with negotiations.

I have no doubt that Paul White worked with Boyd and his manager. However, I've seen nothing to support Mimi's hearsay regarding Bennett's involvement.
Ok I can accept that explanation. Fair enough.

I would say though, if the Coach is being relied upon to determine what a player should be getting paid or how that should fit in to our Salary Cap, amongst the myriad other tasks they need to be all over in the day to day running of the team then I think it really does lend some weight to clubs appointing larger Coaching teams to take care of this workload, or a Coaching Director/Director of Football like what is being proposed with Bellamy in order to share some of this load around as frankly it seems a lot for one Head Coach to be responsible for, even if that Coach is Wayne Bennett.

Just Paul White things.

When it comes to negotiating contracts he's about as effective and shrewd as Gil from the Simpsons.
Just Paul White things.

CEO of wooden spoon team 2020.

Wayne Bennett was involved with Darius Boyd's contract. He was consulted during the whole process and specifically on length and price. You can blame multiple staff including the coach for that contract. The Broncos need to do more than replace the coach and hire a new CEO. I am really disappointed with the club and have been for a while. Things were supposed to start happening/changing by now. Also I am worried that the new coach will not be supported enough by those higher up at The Broncos. Early signs are starting to confirm my suspicions.

The culture and attitude of the players has been on a decline since Lockyer was still playing. I know a lot of people on this board do not like Gordon Tallis now but he has been spot on with a lot of his criticism. The whole sipping lattes walking around like they have already made it comment was so close to the truth. Gordon may have not said it right but he was right in what he was trying to convey. The players have not taken on board the Broncos spirit fully for a long time and it's been slowly diluting through every generation. Kevin Walters has a very enormous task ahead of him and will need the help of all previous Broncos greats including Gordon Tallis and Wally Lewis. I could go on for hours but will finish up by saying without a doubt Kevin Walters understands what it means to be a Broncos player and what it takes as an individual to live up to the expectations that come with being a Broncos player. I wish him all the best.

Wayne Bennett was involved with Darius Boyd's contract. He was consulted during the whole process and specifically on length and price. You can blame multiple staff including the coach for that contract. The Broncos need to do more than replace the coach and hire a new CEO. I am really disappointed with the club and have been for a while. Things were supposed to start happening/changing by now. Also I am worried that the new coach will not be supported enough by those higher up at The Broncos. Early signs are starting to confirm my suspicions.

The culture and attitude of the players has been on a decline since Lockyer was still playing. I know a lot of people on this board do not like Gordon Tallis now but he has been spot on with a lot of his criticism. The whole sipping lattes walking around like they have already made it comment was so close to the truth. Gordon may have not said it right but he was right in what he was trying to convey. The players have not taken on board the Broncos spirit fully for a long time and it's been slowly diluting through every generation. Kevin Walters has a very enormous task ahead of him and will need the help of all previous Broncos greats including Gordon Tallis and Wally Lewis. I could go on for hours but will finish up by saying without a doubt Kevin Walters understands what it means to be a Broncos player and what it takes as an individual to live up to the expectations that come with being a Broncos player. I wish him all the best.
I agree with your second paragraph entirely except needing Tallis back. He can get fucked. He's not a Bronco, he's a Titans shill.

Well that settles it then. Some guy on the internet said it happened so it must have. I’m sold. Sorry for disagreeing guys, I was wrong

Well that settles it then. Some guy on the internet said it happened so it must have. I’m sold. Sorry for disagreeing guys, I was wrong

For reference @rogerwilco is one of the only people on here who actually has a track record of having good inside information. Doesn't post as often as some of the other 'scoopers', but is certainly in the know to some degree. (I think roger said Fifita would re-sign back in 2019, but I don't think anyone saw that fiasco coming)

There's no winning. All I'd like is for the people in the know to state precisely how much DBs contract cost us. Exactly how much per season, if it went up or down each season etc. Should be easy enough for the knowledgeable on here.

I don't know why I think DBs contract was 2.5m for four years but I do.

Despite my disdain for Boyd, looking at his 4 year contract objectively and with the benefit of hindsight isn’t as big as a disaster as I thought initially.

Reason being is because before he tore his hamstring on the cusp of the 2017 finals leading to Boyd playing within himself for the remainder of his career, at absolute worst I think most people would have thought a 2 year deal with a 3rd in his favour at that stage would have been a very fair and reasonable deal. Had it planned out that way he would have taken the player option for 2020 and still retired this year anyway and would have been zero difference to the future of the club.

The only thing you could say in that hypothetical scenario is that the club should have given him a 2 year deal with a 3rd in the clubs favour if you wanted to absolve the club fully of blame. But looking at our roster, it seems the club has an infamous tendency to handing out contracts with options in players favour like they are tic tacs so the onus sits on them.

I think overall the downfall of our clubs retention and recruitment is primarily down to Issac Moses bending over our clubs representatives and our board not having a spine to stand up to him and getting value for money.

This is why our entire roster is completely out of whack and balance and is why clubs like the Raiders and Warriors have taken the initiative to prevent a similar scenario unfolding at their club.

Last edited:

Active Now

• IceWorks
  • Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  • The Don
  • KateBroncos1812
  • mitch222
  • Midean
  • Broncorob
  • Scorchie
  • pennywisealfie
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
  • Spike
  • Rookie Alan
  • Organix
  • Adammacca
  • bb_gun
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.