NEWS The night before losing 58-0 to the Eels, the Broncos were … at the pub

Now looks like McCullough, Gillett & Oates we’re there for no longer than 20 mins and home before 9 and Milford, Haas & Fifita stayed, “a little longer”. Massive beat-up.

Not sure if this story was ‘broken’ by the Courier Mail (they sure ran with it) but I’d take what they produce with a grain of salt given What is happening at the joint.

Welcome to Harpoon Harry’s, where the Broncos’ season spun out of control — $10 at a time

This is the Sydney pub where the Broncos’ season spun out of control — $10 at a time.

In there, they were loading up the machines with $10 spins as they interacted with revellers.The players continued to play, often gambling their winnings spins on the red versus black feature.

Fifita was seen playing on his own later on that evening and was last to leave. The establishment is often thriving on a Saturday night, and it’s poker room is open until 3am, and has had a number of different guises over the year.

View attachment 6230

Darren Lockyer told WWOS: “Obviously the coach and the coaching staff is a big driver of that but the senior players in any team are the ones who have a massive influence over the culture.

“So they’re yet to release the eight names but it’s disappointing and if some of those guys involved are senior players well that’s even more disappointing. “That last game doesn’t define the season but it probably will because that’s the lasting memory people will have of the season.

“I think (Seibold) questioning their commitment was a valid point, as I said before watching those first couple of tries I was frustrated because it just highlighted a lack of desire to be in cover defence, etc. to get there and make the play, it just wasn’t there which was disappointing.

Looks like a fucking dump.

Yep. Sydney is!

Now looks like McCullough, Gillett & Oates we’re there for no longer than 20 mins and home before 9 and Milford, Haas & Fifita stayed, “a little longer”. Massive beat-up.

Not sure if this story was ‘broken’ by the Courier Mail (they sure ran with it) but I’d take what they produce with a grain of salt given What is happening at the joint.

If that's the case, just shows how much of a nothing story it is.

So in reality, all those journos who intended to kick us when we’re down by manufacturing a mad Monday with the almighty Broncs have fallen into a bucket of tits and came up sucking their own ****.

This is an intriguing concept and I'd very much like to know more.

Yeah bit strange. Why would you get players up before 7 for a game at 4 pm. Seems dumb.

Routine perhaps, and also to stop them getting on the turps until the wee hours. Anyone who's out until 2am getting around it will be pretty obvious at 7am, especially if you see them at that time at least once every trip.

It is actually starting to sound like Milf has a disease level vulnerability to the pokies and if anyone gives a shit about him they should get him some help. Yeah he's a grown man and whatnot but doesn't matter how much you are making right now, these machines will gladly eat up every cent you got and then some if this addiction kicks in.
Yeah, could be a win/win there. Those things can hoover up enormous amounts of money and destroy lives. If we peel Milf away from them, he can hopefully improve his on field performances but also we can pay him half what he's on now and he won't feel it in the hip pocket.

$10 spins
True, and Seibold was gambling every time he selected Darius Boyd.

You're right. No wonder there's a punting culture in the organisation.

Last edited:
$10 spins

You're right. No wonder there's a punting culture in the organisation.

Yep, they sure punted Bennett ...

Now it's time to punt the rest of the dead weight and we all know who they are

The most amazing thing about this tale is the how they didn't overdo it.

They weren't drinking. What? Do they know what sport they're playing?

Not even just a little sip?

Storm in a teacup, lads.

Y'know what was eye opening about reading Thurston's biography was learning just how much of a pisshead he is.

Now we're getting somewhere...

He tells a great story about going out and getting sloshed the night before an Origin game.
I think it was Game III 2009 from memory. Locky and Smith were filthy with him. They could've won the series in a clean sweep that year.

Some coaches have been known to encourage players to have a few quiet ones the night before a big game. Don't overdo it.

A couple of beers. Just enough to fall asleep.

My all-time favourite story involves John Raper and Bill Mordey.

Mordey put a huge bet on St George to win a big match, then he saw Raper staggering out of a bar on the eve of the game.

'Chook, Chook, how could you do this to me? I've put the house on you tomorrow.'

'Don't worry, Bill,'
slurred Raper as he headed off in search of more drinks, 'I'll be right in the morning.'

Mordey changed his bet to the opposition.

True to his word though, Raper came out and played a blinder. St George won the match.

Mordey found Raper in the dressing room, sitting in a bath sipping champagne from the bottle.

'Billy! I told you I'd win your bet for you.'

I hope you enjoyed that story as much as I did.

Anyway, carry on!

Storm in a teacup, lads.

Y'know what was eye opening about reading Thurston's biography was learning just how much of a pisshead he is.

He tells a great story about going out and getting sloshed the night before an Origin game.
I think it was Game III 2009 from memory. Locky and Smith were filthy with him. They could've won the series in a clean sweep that year.

Some coaches have been known to encourage players to have a few quiet ones the night before a big game. Don't overdo it.

Mordey put a huge bet on St George to win a big match, then he saw Raper staggering out of a bar on the eve of the game.

'Chook, Chook, how could you do this to me? I've put the house on you tomorrow.'

'Don't worry, Bill,'
slurred Raper as he headed off in search of more drinks, 'I'll be right in the morning.'

True to his word though, Raper came out and played a blinder. St George won the match.

Mordey found Raper in the dressing room, sitting in a bath sipping champagne from the bottle.

Anyway, carry on!
And yet Thurston had the gall to have a go at the young qld players more recently suspended.

Storm in a teacup, lads.

'Don't worry, Bill,'

Anyway, carry on!
But everyone was hungover in yesteryear - so it was more a case of who could perform better when hungover!

It's not the crime of the century, but they still displayed a less than stellar attitude

I played sport at state level through my 20's and 30's and can tell you without exception, I was in my room the night before a tournament, going through my mental routines, entirely focused on the task at hand. And yep, I was in the cot by 9PM. And I was only an amateur playing the game for the enjoyment, not making a living off it.

I honestly think those people that think this behaviour is acceptable are thinking like normal people with normal jobs, and not thinking like highly paid professional athletes.

I wonder if it would have drawn such strident criticism had they spent three hours playing video games in a venue for games? I think it's because the venue sold alcohol and detractors are adding 2+2 and getting 7. I think it was perfectly fine and a little distraction from the stress is no problem for mine. I don't even think it's a bad 'look'. Contrary **** that I am.

My worry about all of this is these players and their managers fight tooth and nail to try and get top dollar but they are quiet willing to waste and piss a lot of it down the pokies.

If your doing $10 spins and are doing 2-3 hour sessions and this is a semi regular occurrence, it’s only reasonable to suggest they are probably throwing $10,000’s down them during a season and over $100,000’s over a career. Absolute waste of fighting for that big pay day in the first place if you ask me. No wonder players want to try and get overs... it’s to cover how much off it they are going to blow.

Get rid of Milford and all players that were at the hotel before the finals.
If they are going to disrespect the jersey like that get young blokes that would give their all to play for the Broncos.

Unread

Active Now

• Dash
  • Old Mate
  • Jazza
  • kiwibronco
  • sooticus
  • Xzei
  • levikaden
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.