The Sad Decline of Darren Lockyer as a Player and Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
God i sat and watched Lockyer play last night and just thought to myself i hope the guy who wrote this article feels stupid. Lockyer was far better then Cronk in kicking and running the ball. His passes were great and i dont think he missed a tackle. Keeping in mind that Cronk had three of his team mates in the side to pass to and Locky only had Thaiday i thought lockyer showed cronk up a bit.

Lets hope he brings his A game on Sunday like he did last night.

Love ya Locky keep the good work up

The way he pulled up his tactical kicks - all of them afaik - in the rain, the way his every bomb came down 1-2 meters out from the goal line... just awesome.

I'm probably going to repeat this a fair few times in other threads, but Cronk didn't show anything last night that he should play ahead of Scott Prince in the QLD Origin side. Prince has a better kicking game and Cronk didn't show that his combination with his Melbourne team-mates outweighs what Prince has to offer.

Lockyer outplayed him a big time and showed why it was a good decision to continue playing rep footy. He actually seemed to work better with Slater than Cronk did.

Lockyer is an alltime great!

Cant think of one 5/8 that coulda done a better job than Locky last night with the team and conditions taken in mind. He easily outplayed his opposite in Benji who isnt a slouch either.

Mister Wright said:
Lockyer outplayed him a big time and showed why it was a good decision to continue playing rep footy. He actually seemed to work better with Slater than Cronk did.

Must say I did picture Locky combining with Slater in Broncos colours and it made me drool icon_thumbs_u

simmo77 said:
Mister Wright said:

Must say I did picture Locky combining with Slater in Broncos colours and it made me drool icon_thumbs_u

Personally, I thought Locky and Cronk combined quite well, Cronk was able to provide the direction such that locky could chime in when the time was right (and that he did) - perhaps Cronk is an option to chase, but then Peter is more then capable when the team's going alright, and halves will always look/play better when the team around them is going alright

Huge hit the nail on the head. Locky didn't have to do as much work in defense in the test - therefore his attacking quality was allowed to show through more. This is the main reason that you cannot judge Locky's current form and state his supposed decline based on the Broncos this season - as many have pointed out, Brisbane's defense is shite therefore he has to defend more, therefore his attack is not as potent. He also got better service from # 9 than he has seen in a club game for a while.

The usual suspects haven't posted in this thread after the test. lol.

They credited Lockyer with 20 tackles, what does he average in the domestic comp, any clever people out there ??lol

After 8 rounds, Lockyer averages 13.25 tackles..

Lockyer is simply a legend :) any sane person knows the Broncos would be nothing without him. He made alot of people eat their words....yet again. Well done champ.

The telling part of those 20 tackles was that he missed zero. How good is it watching Locky with a decent team around him, never knock a champion :)

PETERN said:
The telling part of those 20 tackles was that he missed zero. How good is it watching Locky with a decent team around him, never knock a champion :)

exactly icon_thumbs_u

lockyer played well, but far from how good you guys are making out that he did lol.

I don't know AP, it was not a ball playing halve's game, and I thought he clearly stood out among the four halves on the field and lost nothing in comparison to most of the other players on the field. By means no where near his best game, but I do think he effectively answered the claims he is not up to that standard or that he is over the hill.

i dont think test matches against NZ are really the place to prove that youre not over the hill. remember, NZ have won something like 4 of the last 25 matches against australia - theyre not exactly quality opposition in relation to the Australian team. you could pick Australia A, B, C and D and theyd still all probably thrash the kiwis.

I accept the stats, but, I think you would have to agree in the last two years they have become a lot more competitive, and were certainly well in the game on Friday night. Therefore, I believe that it was a valid test that Lockyer came through, but I doubt that I will persuade you to the contrary.

Anonymous person said:
you could pick Australia A, B, C and D and theyd still all probably thrash the kiwis.

Thrash? do you forget the score? It was a tight game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Behind enemy lines
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fatboy
  • BroncoFan94
  • Justwin
  • Aldo
  • winslow_wong
  • marw
  • Tim K
  • Tmac
  • Allo
  • Gaz
  • Kev_Guz
  • theshed
  • Jedhead
  • Battler
  • ChewThePhatt
  • johnny plath
  • Morkel
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.