The Sad Decline of Darren Lockyer as a Player and Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
NZ never looked like winning that game. it was a tight match on the scoreboard, but nowhere else.

I still dont see how you can claim Australia a,b,c,d would have thrashed them. One lucky break in the final 5minutes and the result would say NZ def AUS.

You can not discount the fact that the final score shows NZ held their own.

But we are going off topic here.

Today showed more then friday that yes alot of us should eat our words.

Congrats on stepping up Locky and i look forward to you giving us your all the remainder of the season.

So excellent seeing Lockyer yet again throw egg in the faces of these detractors. Do people never learn? Never knock a champion.

The Rock said:
[quote="Anonymous person":1cxgx41s]i dont think test matches against NZ are really the place to prove that youre not over the hill.

What about a Man Of the Match performance against the Storm in Melbourne, is that a good place to prove that you're not over the hill?[/quote:1cxgx41s]

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

The Rock said:
[quote="Anonymous person":13u1ff5c]i dont think test matches against NZ are really the place to prove that youre not over the hill.

What about a Man Of the Match performance against the Storm in Melbourne, is that a good place to prove that you're not over the hill?[/quote:13u1ff5c]

Hold on - you can't just base one game as the answer to the "Locky criticism". Not fair to point out just one game.

FTR - the way he played today should be the angle we should be taking throughout the season - unless there are other secret plans yet to be revealed.

Really it's not just 1 game. He has been playing well most games but playing with a our young side has made him try too hard and look bad, the first chance he gets to play his own game he kills it which is what his defenders have been saying would happen.

I think we'll look back on the Test as the turning point for Locky this season. Because he was with a team of quality he was able to sit back and be more selective with his involvement and he was immeasurably better.

He applied the same mentality yesterday.

If he can keep that faith in the young team around him, particularly the way he let Norman and Hunt control the ruck and first receiver so much, it'll do him and the team the world of good.

Coxy.....that may actually be close to the mark .The stepping back thing. Young Hunt was good with the 47th minute of yesterdays game standing out. Some may have missed it but his defence was that of a veteran with size on his side. Perhaps Locky has tried to take on too much early on in the season thinking he has to lead all of the time. Like we wrote the other day, if the others do their jobs to at least Nrl standard then Lockyer gets to do his thing.

Huge. said:
Coxy.....that may actually be close to the mark .The stepping back thing. Young Hunt was good with the 47th minute of yesterdays game standing out. Some may have missed it but his defence was that of a veteran with size on his side. Perhaps Locky has tried to take on too much early on in the season thinking he has to lead all of the time. Like we wrote the other day, if the others do their jobs to at least Nrl standard then Lockyer gets to do his thing.

Man i got to agree with you on Hunts defence, he made 38 tackles in the game only Parker made more. I cant belive how well Hunt at 9 and Norman at 7 played. Man Norman looks awsome at 7. Whats going to happen when wallace is fit? I actually wouldnt mind having either Norman or Hunt on the bench (not both of them).

God i hope Norman and Hunt can play that well every week.

On lockyer, well what can i say. A true champion, a true legend and a awsome footy player. Keep the good work up mate.

Professor47 said:
The Rock said:
[quote="Anonymous person":1dkbc82u]i dont think test matches against NZ are really the place to prove that youre not over the hill.

What about a Man Of the Match performance against the Storm in Melbourne, is that a good place to prove that you're not over the hill?

Hold on - you can't just base one game as the answer to the "Locky criticism". Not fair to point out just one game.
[/quote:1dkbc82u]
exactly.

you all go on about him playing ONE good game and say that it proves hes not over the hill, but the 40+ games over the last 3 years where he has been absolutely cod-ordinary at BEST cant just be forgotten. 1 good game does not prove anything.

AP, you asserting that he has been ordinary proves even less. At least we can point to some evidence whereas you're stating your opinion and that's all.

gut, look at the majority of the games over the last few years, thats proof, and thats why certain opinions have been formed

I've watched the same games as you and I never thought Lockyer was the problem. Sure his individual form fluctuates just like anyone else, and he's obviously past his peak, but the idea that he's "finished" and has nothing to offer is what's in dispute.

flogging-dead-horse.jpg

gUt said:
AP, you asserting that he has been ordinary proves even less. At least we can point to some evidence whereas you're stating your opinion and that's all.
lol

the evidence was the fact that over the last few years he has played very ordinary and it has been there for every one to see. he was rubbish for most of 2008, and very bad for most of last year. this year apart from the last 2 games (test and storm) hes been ordinary.

youre essentially saying that a player only has to play one good game every 3-4 years and they CANNOT be called over the hill [icon_lol1. .

Didn't watch the Dragons game I take it AP?

Anonymous person said:
gUt said:
lol

the evidence was the fact that over the last few years he has played very ordinary and it has been there for every one to see. he was rubbish for most of 2008, and very bad for most of last year. this year apart from the last 2 games (test and storm) hes been ordinary.

youre essentially saying that a player only has to play one good game every 3-4 years and they CANNOT be called over the hill [icon_lol1. .

Are you seriously suggesting that in 4 years Lockyer has only played 1 good game???????? Dude you cant be watching the Darren Lockyer i have been watching. If Lockyer doesnt play yesterday i go as far as the Broncos not winning that game. Its the little things that people often miss. After the Broncos scored a try and were infront by 20 Lockyer got Norman and Hunt togeather and had a chat with them. Im sure he would of been telling them that we wern't finsihed yet and the job was only half done. The guys in the team would look up to him and to be playing beside him would be the biggest thrill of their lives. Lockyer through the last pass in three of our four tries against the knights. That makes it three straight good games imo.

PS so much for the Lockyer cant tackle anymore bs. I dont think he has missed a tackle in the past three games.

Darren Lockyer you legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• heartly87
  • Allo
  • simplythebest
  • porouian
  • Confidor
  • jd87
  • BroncsNBundy
  • ostin86
  • Dexter
  • Payneinthehaas
  • Howie
  • jarro65
  • FACTHUNT
  • davidp
  • broncsgoat
  • Hoof Hearted
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.