Q-CUP The tragic tale of Corey Oates

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
For the first time in 153 games, it looks like the mighty are about to fall. Corey Oates was not named in the top 21 for the Round 1 game on Friday with no murmurs of injury to mention. A clean no apologies given chop straight to reggies.

Guillotine-Seen-From-Below-91987.gif

I could almost weep for how much of a nosedive Corey's career has taken in recent years. Sure he has never had the greatest hands since the first day he legged his 110+ kilo frame 90 metres up field to score, but that was always his problem. For the longest time he was a coin flip of a player, the next Gene Miles one day then up and in dropsycunt the next. We all (myself included) predicted huge things for him, and in certain respects he has gone places, taking no small role in QLD's dynasty for a time. Where oh where has that Corey gone?

Nowadays, he is one badly out of form liability. If we're being honest, being chopped straight out of the top 21 days out from Round 1 despite being such an experienced player is a damning place to be as a player. His 153 games aren't even valuable enough to drag him into injury coverage, in a side that is drastically missing experience.

This has all the hallmarks of a chasm of a gap between player and club existing at the moment. I said it in another thread earlier today, but I am 90% certain 2021 will be Oates last year as a Bronco. We're just going to have to write him off as being the same sort of sour egg that Roberts was (is). Being exposed to the piss poor example set by the likes of Boyd in the final years of his career can't have helped much either. I mean fair dinkem, if you can't even show the sort of fire in your belly winning the spoon would ignite to make the Round 1 side, the clock is ticking its last.

Last edited:
If he keeps his focus as a winger for longer, it can pay off for him. Not sure what the inside story his RE being a back rower v winger, but his talents are far better focused for now out wide.

In a time when we need some experienced heads in the group, to cut one of the most experienced guys left in the side is very telling.
Adios Corey.

I’m not a footy player, so I can’t speak to thought behind players being picky over what position they play.

If you’re good at wing, have been selected for rep sides there, and have become a somewhat focal point of attack ... just stay there? You’re a lock-in selection, and you get to do what I imagine is the most enjoyable part of playing, scoring tries.

I understand the pay difference, but hell if Corey stayed the same level he was at his peak, I’d have no problems giving him 500-600k a year to do that.

the grass isn’t always greener, even on the same field

I’m not a footy player, so I can’t speak to thought behind players being picky over what position they play.

If you’re good at wing, have been selected for rep sides there, and have become a somewhat focal point of attack ... just stay there? You’re a lock-in selection, and you get to do what I imagine is the most enjoyable part of playing, scoring tries.

I understand the pay difference, but hell if Corey stayed the same level he was at his peak, I’d have no problems giving him 500-600k a year to do that.

the grass isn’t always greener, even on the same field
Perhaps his 'father n law' / 'former manager' offered some advice. Move to the forwards son and earn more money. He ran the length of the field (?) for a try in our last premiership appearance. Then cost us by coming in and allowing the infamous try that fucked it all. So be it.

He ran the length of the field (?) for a try in our last premiership appearance. Then cost us by coming in and allowing the infamous try that fucked it all. So be it.
Oates in a nutshell. Rocks and diamonds. Too many rocks in the last few years. Suspect part of that is his own doing, thinking hes a 2nd rower instead of realizing hes a rep winger.

Last edited:
Love it from kevie, I can’t wait for him to be gone! he “was” the very definition of a one dimensional player that got so full of himself and listened to all the hype he forgot how to do the one thing he was good at.

could do wonders with that extra cash.

Didn’t he have a biggish offer tabled and opted for a shorter contract to try and get more later on?
That was a few years back. We signed him on a big 3-year deal in 2019 with a player option that takes him through to the end of 2022 if he wants to stay.

That was a few years back. We signed him on a big 3-year deal in 2019 with a player option that takes him through to the end of 2022 if he wants to stay.
Cheers.

I hope someone is working with Corey. I know he is middle aged in terms of his career but as a second rower, he is still a rookie.
If he worked on getting his defence right he could still end up playing there this year. His running is as good as it ever was, but you cant carry a poor defender in the second row. It should priority for whatever q cup side he plays with.
I'm pretty sure he'd be handy passing before the line in set plays to mix things up too. So there is definitely a future....if he works for it. I'd hate to see him fade away into lower grades, even if it means playing for someone else.

I‘ll go against the grain here. I think he’s actuallly showed some focus (noting that he’s shut his mouth and put in a decent pre Season moving away from the jack the lad / I don’t give a shit attitude ) and may well be realistic at having to start at the bottom in terms of back row pecking order. I still think he’s an even money chance of making a decent fist of it. Injuries will come and I don’t think discipline issues of certain forwards will ever leave so there will be opportunities for him - nothing like a stint in reggies to sharpen the focus.
missing the 21 isnt a huge deal - I cant recall a player beyond 19 ever getting a call up.

It's sad. Oates was one of the best wingers in the comp. What happened.
Injuries to almost every part of his body and a serious staph infection two years ago have finally caught up to him. He was never going to be around forever. His career is all but over.

Active Now

• Battler
  • Johnny92
  • Sproj
  • Mustafur
  • Stix
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • jd87
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Morkel
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.