Q-CUP The tragic tale of Corey Oates

He's been playing on the wing for the last couple of weeks. I wonder if he asked, or if the Broncos just told him he isn't a very good back rower so if he wants a career it's wing or nothing?

Kevvie said it in an interview recently, i just can't find that interview.
It’s the usual Oates cycle. Plays good at wing, gets cocky and says he wants to be a 2nd row and starts playing shit as a winger, gets a chance at 2nd row but realises that means he has to spend time developing in the position and drops to the bottom of the pecking order, decides he should be a winger again.

He's been playing on the wing for the last couple of weeks. I wonder if he asked, or if the Broncos just told him he isn't a very good back rower so if he wants a career it's wing or nothing?
Is he currently in our "bubble"? I can't see him named in QCup this week and think he only played in the round 1 game.

Amazing he is still only 26 yrs old, seems to have been around a long time - is his body/injuries etc just not up to NRL these days?

Is he currently in our "bubble"? I can't see him named in QCup this week and think he only played in the round 1 game.

Amazing he is still only 26 yrs old, seems to have been around a long time - is his body/injuries etc just not up to NRL these days?

Oates played for South Logan Magpies and scored a try there because Souths Logan Magpies haven't had a stroke and left paralised down the left side like the 2020 Broncos (Fifi excepted). He didn't need to go looking for it like he has had to playing for the Broncos. I think his confidence still needs a bit of work and get a few wins under the belt before returning to NRL.

I'm not sure if Walters had identified the breakdown on the left wing but we've already used the left wing a lot more already this season. Last season it was Fifi who was effective with the ball now it's Herbie. Eventually other teams would have realised we don't use the wing and put more bodies in front of Fifi. Fifi was bloody good but he was a ball hog.

Can understand why wingers would want to move to fullback, but I don’t really get the fixation with moving to the backrow.

Can understand why wingers would want to move to fullback, but I don’t really get the fixation with moving to the backrow.
Corey is probably just impressed he knows how to spell backrow, so likes saying it.

I wish his father-in-law would have a beer and a few stern words with him. He needs to pull his head in and start blitzing it in training and in the ISC. He needs to get that hunger to run the ball back and show Kevvie he's willing to do the hard yards again.

Money. Backrowers tend to be paid more than wingers, though I'm not sure anyone has actually explained to Corey that he is already on a very high salary for either position.

Kevin Walters:

“Corey came to me and said he’d like to move back to the wing and I’m not going to stand in any player’s way. They need to play where they feel most comfortable and will play their best football. Corey feels that is on the wing so ‘away you go son, you’re back on the wing’. He’s not well out-of-favour. I’m not a big fan of shuffling players around. We lost a centre (Herbie Farnworth) so we thought the best thing to do was replace him with a centre.”

Kevin Walters:

“Corey came to me and said he’d like to move back to the wing and I’m not going to stand in any player’s way. They need to play where they feel most comfortable and will play their best football. Corey feels that is on the wing so ‘away you go son, you’re back on the wing’. He’s not well out-of-favour. I’m not a big fan of shuffling players around. We lost a centre (Herbie Farnworth) so we thought the best thing to do was replace him with a centre.”
But surely Arthurs is the centre? Kennar is an out and out winger!

Kevin Walters:

This is good. Corey back at the wing is a good thing if he can get back to where he used to be. We have enough depth to give him a good month or two in Q-Cup to really get his mojo back, I'm hoping he is in Walter's plans TBH. We desperately miss his runs on tackle 1 or 2 that almost always gained us 10-15 metres and a fast play-the-ball.

I don’t think it matters how good Corey plays, he isn’t worth 500k and should not be given any reason to take up his player option next season.

Isaako will be a good enough wing option next season and Corey’s 500k can go toward a decent fullback.

I don’t think it matters how good Corey plays, he isn’t worth 500k and should not be given any reason to take up his player option next season.

Isaako will be a good enough wing option next season and Corey’s 500k can go toward a decent fullback.
On the other hand who's going to take him if he's not in first grade? In which case why wouldn't be take up his 500k PO if he doesn't have an option somewhere else.

To me it seems like trying to get him back into first form, then telling him he won't have a spot here next year might work best.

I wonder if he might take Teo's spot on the bench given Ben looks like he is done for the season. In theory, Oates if the perfect bench player as a hybrid back/second-rower.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.