The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Then the real fun begins.

Every live and post-match thread will be a back and forth of 'I've Told You Sos'

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
One of the lines repeatedly trotted out here is that WB plays favourites and keeps playing people who apparently don't deserve a spot in the team. Can anyone cite these examples? It seems to be common knowledge and is often repeated so it must be easy to present many examples. I'm not saying it is or isn't true, I just would like to see the evidence for this ubiquitous claim.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Only 4 more months of it.

Will you make it?

Dunno mate, got a gun to my head right now, all things considered the first 4 months will be nothing compared to what's coming afterwards going at this rate.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
That first "Team List Tuesday" will be epic.

I get flashbacks of the first team list tuesday for last season.

When people saw Hoffman at 6 and Parker at 10..all hell broke loose.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I think it was more the Hoffman at 5/8th more then anything lol Always fell it was done to keep Hoffman happy by having him in the spine for a season till Milford arrived and then they would most likely release him.

Last edited:
QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Milford's career will be ruined by playing 6. I stand by this statement.

By ruined, i dont mean he will be dropped to qld cup etc, but i dont think we will see him in rep teams anytime soon. He is the most exciting player to watch when hes playing fullback, but at number 6 hes just run of the mill. The kid cant tackle forwards to save his life.

This has nothing to do with bennett either. No matter who is coaching him, if hes not fullback, his career is going downhill imo

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013

By ruined, i dont mean he will be dropped to qld cup etc, but i dont think we will see him in rep teams anytime soon. He is the most exciting player to watch when hes playing fullback, but at number 6 hes just run of the mill. The kid cant tackle forwards to save his life.

This has nothing to do with bennett either. No matter who is coaching him, if hes not fullback, his career is going downhill imo

I think he will excel at 6 and as I am an optimistic person, I also see him as a Origin and Australian half in the future.

He tackles better in the frontline than at fullback.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I'm confident he'll be just as explosive and dangerous as he was at fullback with the Raiders. You've gotta remember when he was playing Five-Eighth at the Raiders he was playing in a spine of something along the lines of Rapana, McCrone, Buttriss.. you can't really expect him to flourish with that sort of talent running around him.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I'm confident he'll be just as explosive and dangerous as he was at fullback with the Raiders. You've gotta remember when he was playing Five-Eighth at the Raiders he was playing in a spine of something along the lines of Rapana, McCrone, Buttriss.. you can't really expect him to flourish with that sort of talent running around him.

I expect him to be even more dangerous at five-eight because we have more attacking players to worry about here, compared to when at the Raiders he was their only attacking option.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

I don't agree with any of that whatsoever but the bold bit I really don't get. Did you watch him at 6? Defensively he is much better in the frontline than at fullback

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

I disagree with you here. I think he will be eventually be a great 6 ... but at this stage i think he is better off playing at 1, do his apprenticeship at the back like the great one, then move into the 6 jumper and take control of the team, when the time is right.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
He'll go fine at 5/8.

The more times he has his hands on the ball the better it will be for him, and us.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Let's hope in the halves that Milford is used just as much as Hunt and included in attacking plans as much as Hunt.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
I'm fairly certain Milford will feature heavily in all of our attacking plays.

Be nice to see Hunt and Milford interact like Alf and Kevvie used too :nod:

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Milford is too good not to go well at either position, but like with almost everything else, I agree with Foordy that it might have been better to let him grow his game from the back, where he is lethal and eventually move him to 5/8 at a later stage.

Moot point though, as Wayne has already announced he will persevere with him there, and he has the runs on the board to give me enough confidence that he knows what he's doing.

Putting my tinfoil hat on, I just really, really hope that this choice is not a way to ensure Boyd's FB position is safe...

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Even if milford performs well for the broncos at 6, it doesn't mean his career and development havent taken a hit. He has the potential to be one of, if not the best fullbacks in the game and be in the top 5 - 10 players. Yeh, at 6 he might go well, but it might come at the cost of rep honours, development and being even better (or the best) in another position. I have a feeling it may very well work out ok for the broncos, but for milford it will just limit him. Hes good enough to still go well, but it might only be at a % of how good he could be at fullback.

I'm not trying to cover my ass by saying this, but he may very well play fantastic next year at 6, but unless he has a ridiculously good stand out year, I will consider him being moved to 6 a mistake in regards to getting the best of him

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I'm not trying to cover my ass by saying this, but he may very well play fantastic next year at 6, but unless he has a ridiculously good stand out year, I will consider him being moved to 6 a mistake in regards to getting the best of him
Will it still be a mistake if he's even better the year after or if in 2 years when Thurston is winding down he becomes the best 5/8 in the comp. A position with far less competition than fullback these days?

It's possible Thurston will be done at rep level in 2 years, while GI will hold the rep fb position for half a decade once Billy moves on. Which do you think will hinder his rep career longest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.