The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
is he going all out? bringing his adopted child and recruiting a nuffy second rower. for all this talk about him doing a cleanout, he hasnt really initiated too much of it himself.

- Hannant was on his way out under Griffin. He wasn't wanted and was already looking for another club.
- Kennedy had fallen out, playing reserve grade a lot, and there were numerous articles about his Broncos career being over or on life support.
- Milford was already coming.
- Parcell was knocking on the NRL door trying to get in to the Broncos while other clubs were chasing him.

Bennett brought Waddell (terrible signing), dropped our star recruit so he could bring Boyd (terrible signing in many peoples views, unless it was to play wing), and just signed the longest running joke of a buy in the NRL. The Bennett initiated stuff has been mostly terrible.

and anyway - he "put his reputation on the line" at Newcastle, yet has come away smelling like roses somehow. Why do people suddenly think this time would be any different? there will always be people to make excuses for him when something doesnt work out, and to pat him on the back and say its all him when it does work out. If Milford plays the house down at 6, it'll be a "wayne bennett masterstroke", but if he stinks it'll be all on Milford.

I'll give Bennett this.

He is going fucking balls out, all on black hard with this appointment. This is no golden parachute. He is not going to die wondering.

He's putting his glorious reputation on the line. He could have sailed into St George or the Titans or god where ever else on squillions, and left his legendary status at the Broncos untouched.

He pulls off a 7th premiership - the man will be absolutely lauded as the greatest NRL (if not the sporting world) coach in history. Fairytale ending, music hasn't died inside all that stuff.

He doesn't win a premiership (and I think it is that grave) - the knives will be out, wrecked the club all that jazz.

That's a bloody ballsy thing to do and reflecting on it, I think his heart and mind have to be in the right place for him to do that.

As a Broncos support perhaps we've been missing that kind of courage and passion.

Now I'm typing one-handed...

is he going all out? bringing his adopted child and recruiting a nuffy second rower. for all this talk about him doing a cleanout, he hasnt really initiated too much of it himself.

- Hannant was on his way out under Griffin. He wasn't wanted and was already looking for another club.
- Kennedy had fallen out, playing reserve grade a lot, and there were numerous articles about his Broncos career being over or on life support.
- Parcell was knocking on the NRL door trying to get in to the Broncos while other clubs were chasing him.

Bennett brought Waddell (terrible signing), dropped our star recruit so he could bring Boyd (terrible signing in many peoples views, unless it was to play wing), and just signed the longest running joke of a buy in the NRL. The Bennett initiated stuff has been mostly terrible.

and anyway - he "put his reputation on the line" at Newcastle, yet has come away smelling like roses somehow. Why do people suddenly think this time would be any different? there will always be people to make excuses for him when something doesnt work out, and to pat him on the back and say its all him when it does work out. If Milford plays the house down at 6, it'll be a "wayne bennett masterstroke", but if he stinks it'll be all on Milford.

In terms of risk to reputation, coaching Newcastle on squillions in a "rebuilding phase" is not in the same stratosphere as returning home to the Broncos.

And I said anything less than a premiership will be a complete and utter failure and basically wreck his reputation to Broncos fans.

That's balls out.

I've accepted there's no turning this into a positive for you AP, so all good.

Last edited:

That is fine because some people will make excuses if he succeeds and they will say it had nothing to do with him. I am looking at you AP, in fact you have already started

How amusing would it be if Wayne accidentally paid too much for Blair and Gavet and now we don't have any money left for Darius, and he has to sign with Canberra.

That is fine because some people will make excuses if he succeeds and they will say it had nothing to do with him. I am looking at you AP, in fact you have already started
I'm not making excuses, I'm stating before any success or failures have happened that there was already a team in place for success.

We finished 8th, with a bit more discipline we could've finished 4th, we just signed without doubt the most exciting prospect the NRL has had for the better part of a decade, who has killed it for 2 years in a rubbish team, our halfback just went close to winning the Dally M in his first year of starting halfback, we have a young prop who is knocking down the door for Origin selection (and should have been chosen this year), and we have Parker playing his best footy of his career. The foundations are already there to go very far into the finals.

Do you disagree with any of that?

I'm not making excuses, I'm stating before any success or failures have happened that there was already a team in place for success.

We finished 8th, with a bit more discipline we could've finished 4th, we just signed without doubt the most exciting prospect the NRL has had for the better part of a decade, who has killed it for 2 years in a rubbish team, our halfback just went close to winning the Dally M in his first year of starting halfback, we have a young prop who is knocking down the door for Origin selection (and should have been chosen this year), and we have Parker playing his best footy of his career. The foundations are already there to go very far into the finals.

So if the Broncos do well next year, you're opinion will be either no or a negligible amount of credit will go to Bennett? And conversely if they disappoint it will lie solely on Bennett?

I agree that there's a lot of good stock in the paddock (or on the way) before Bennett arrived but I don't think that denies Wayne from having any necessary input, there's a lot more to a team that individual players ability.

I don't believe we would have progressed much at all without changes to the forward pack even with Milford coming. So i am hoping now it will be better balanced
I also said earlier that i did not believe Barba and Milford together would work. I think we would have got about 3 brilliant games for the season and the rest hohum
Milford was still playing behind a big pack at Canberra

How amusing would it be if Wayne accidentally paid too much for Blair and Gavet and now we don't have any money left for Darius, and he has to sign with Canberra.

Lol! That would be hilarious.

This shits me. We fucking limped into 8th because several teams below us managed to **** up games that they really should have won. Yeah, we finished 8th but that sure as shit wasn't something to be proud of.

BTW, if Wayne brings the discipline you describe and we do finish in the top 4, does he get any credit?

The silence is deafening on the Boyd putting pen to paper front, btw.

So if the Broncos do well next year, you're opinion will be either no or a negligible amount of credit will go to Bennett? And conversely if they disappoint it will lie solely on Bennett?

I agree that there's a lot of good stock in the paddock (or on the way) before Bennett arrived but I don't think that denies Wayne from having any necessary input, there's a lot more to a team that individual players ability.
I won't give him much credit unless there is a noticeable change in gameplan, player fitness, player performances and the like. Milford killing it doesnt mean bennett gets credit. McGuire pumping out 40 tackles and 20 hit ups doesnt mean bennett gets credit.

This ****s me. We ****ing limped into 8th because several teams below us managed to **** up games that they really should have won. Yeah, we finished 8th but that sure as **** wasn't something to be proud of.

BTW, if Wayne brings the discipline you describe and we do finish in the top 4, does he get any credit?
Limping into the top 8 was all we did for many years under Bennett. How we finished wasn't great, but like i said - we were in the position to finish top 4, but a few minutes here and there of lapses meant we finished 8th.

As to your question - see above.

In that case we only have 1 "proven" half too.

Arguably that's still the case. I would find it hard to say Milford has proven himself as a half at Nrl level.

And note I said proven. Not that he doesn't have the ability or junior history.

CM has Balym listed as the author, maybe they both wrote it with a hand on each others
Peter Badel was listed as the author when I read on the CM probably about half a day before you, seriously!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• The Don
  • MrMoore
  • Big Del
  • Morkel
  • Mr Fourex
  • kiwibronco
  • Stix
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Kev_Guz
  • winslow_wong
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Porthoz
  • Santa
  • Johnny92
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manofoneway
  • MrRobot
  • Wolfie
  • Jazza
  • thenry
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.