The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
No arguments here, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with his recruitment.

And obviously in this instance I don't.

Blair and Boyd in particular.

Gavet, I'm reserving judgement on as I don't know much about him.
You don't have to agree with anything you don't agree with, and it does not diminish you in anyway.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Boyd was almost dropped from the QLD team in 2012 and was a breath away from it from memory and was also the public enemy of Newcastle fans that year. I remember reading comments on other forums from Newcastle fans that criticised Boyd and the Knights about their failure to live up to expectations. I might've been hard saying he has been terrible but he has been a shadow of what he once was. He was one of the best players in the competition in 2010.

Yet yet yet he was Newcastle Player of the Year in 2013 ! Amazingly Broncoman you seemed to have missed that ! That was the year they beat us in the last round ending our finals chances and ensuring theirs .... Truthfully, Newcastle and our team have been pretty rubbish over that same three years and by rubbish I mean, midfield ! We are asking a lot aren't we if we consider being roughly midfield as 'rubbish' ?

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Boyd was almost dropped from the QLD team in 2012 and was a breath away from it from memory and was also the public enemy of Newcastle fans that year. I remember reading comments on other forums from Newcastle fans that criticised Boyd and the Knights about their failure to live up to expectations. I might've been hard saying he has been terrible but he has been a shadow of what he once was. He was one of the best players in the competition in 2010.

What expectations? I doubt Boyd and Bennett went down there promising some silverware. Fans only have themselves to blame for having unrealistic expectations. I think that also applies to our team. Just because Bennett's back doesn't mean we should start making some room in our trophy cabinet. I do expect us to be more competitive though and to start winning some tight games.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
What expectations? I doubt Boyd and Bennett went down there promising some silverware. Fans only have themselves to blame for having unrealistic expectations. I think that also applies to our team. Just because Bennett's back doesn't mean we should start making some room in our trophy cabinet. I do expect us to be more competitive though and to start winning some tight games.

Expectations of winning the premiership thinking that Bennett is just going to show up click his fingers and weave magic on the spot from the fans and by some sections of the media. I personally feel that the expectations placed on him were ott and that some were expecting to much. Guys closer to the club knew that they needed some work and they weren't expecting miracles.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Yet yet yet he was Newcastle Player of the Year in 2013 ! Amazingly Broncoman you seemed to have missed that ! That was the year they beat us in the last round ending our finals chances and ensuring theirs .... Truthfully, Newcastle and our team have been pretty rubbish over that same three years and by rubbish I mean, midfield ! We are asking a lot aren't we if we consider being roughly midfield as 'rubbish' ?

Thanks Huge you always learn something new everyday. That game was actually round 25 from memory but it was basically a shot out for a finals spot which we lost annoyingly and disappointingly.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008

Knights began 2012 as one of the favourites for the comp. Were paying about $10 when the season kicked off.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Expectations of winning the premiership thinking that Bennett is just going to show up click his fingers and weave magic on the spot from the fans and by some sections of the media. I personally feel that the expectations placed on him were ott and that some were expecting to much. Guys closer to the club knew that they needed some work and they weren't expecting miracles.

Funny thing is almost exactly the same thing is happening now too.

S

sus

QCup Player
Aug 20, 2013

cheers for the spot DD

not sure if theres anywhere safe left to post pro-WB propaganda, im not drinking the blokes kool-aid, but its hard to argue the logic presented herewith.. (or not... i guess... if youre the sort with a vendetta against a founding father-cenile-daddy issue enabling rat that some might have you believe has taken reign...)

umm, anyway, yeah, hate being held hostage to subscribe to generally biased, far-too-often-shit reporting for the privilrge for the occasional interesting read... but seriously, thanks

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
“We will get to play Sam out on an edge now, which is where he plays his best football. Certainly I think Corey is better at lock then playing in the front row.“

I like that.

+1

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
cheers for the spot DD

not sure if theres anywhere safe left to post pro-WB propaganda, im not drinking the blokes kool-aid, but its hard to argue the logic presented herewith.. (or not... i guess... if youre the sort with a vendetta against a founding father-cenile-daddy issue enabling rat that some might have you believe has taken reign...)

umm, anyway, yeah, hate being held hostage to subscribe to generally biased, far-too-often-shit reporting for the privilrge for the occasional interesting read... but seriously, thanks
Unfortunately the link doesn't work for me...apparently I've reached my free article limit despite never going there ! Are you allowed to cut and paste the article ?

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
[h=2]BRONCOS SPINE TO THRIVE IN 2015[/h]BroncosNovember 23, 2014

BRONCOS legend Steve Renouf insists the early clarity over positions in ‘the spine’ that coach Wayne Bennett has provided will reap rewards in 2015.

New signings Anthony Milford and Darius Boyd will play in the five-eighth and fullback positions respectively while Ben Hunt and Andrew McCullough have entrenched themselves as the starting seven and nine.

Last year the Broncos struggled to find a settled fullback and five-eighth with Josh Hoffman, Ben Barba and Justin Hodges all spending time in the number one jersey and Hoffman and Barba sharing the six position.
Renouf says that uncertainty did the players no favours but adds that the firm hand of Bennett has provided the needed direction.
“This is exactly what the place needed,” Renouf says.
“They needed direction early and they have got it.
“Everyone knows where they stand.
“The constant guessing through a whole season doesn’t work.
“Wayne has said it straight that, ‘This is where you are playing and this is how we are going to start the year’.
“As a player and a team, that is the security you need.
“From the coach’s point of view, he now has a lot of time to work on that combination before the first game next year.”
Renouf says Boyd’s return to Brisbane gives the Broncos a ball playing fullback who always delivers.
“Darius is solid. He’s creative, and you know he is going to do his job and not let you down.
“He’s solid and he is a competitor. He is a current Queensland and Test player.
“You just can’t go past his experience.”
Renouf says Boyd will feel at home playing under Bennett again in Broncos colours.
“Darius has stuck with him. A lot of us were similar.
“You play for your coach. That is very important.”
Former Broncos Ben Hannant, Hoffman, Martin Kennedy, Dave Hala and Barba have all found new homes.
Bennett said this week that no more players would be moving on so the squad has a settled look about it early in the pre-season.
The club also welcomed former Tiger forward Adam Blair this week to give the pack real grunt.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/broncos-spine-thrive-2015/

S

sus

QCup Player
Aug 20, 2013
Unfortunately the link doesn't work for me...apparently I've reached my free article limit despite never going there ! Are you allowed to cut and paste the article ?

sorry pal just quoting Danoz's bu'ness.. the article was inserted in there

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
BRONCOS SPINE TO THRIVE IN 2015

BroncosNovember 23, 2014

BRONCOS legend Steve Renouf insists the early clarity over positions in ‘the spine’ that coach Wayne Bennett has provided will reap rewards in 2015.

New signings Anthony Milford and Darius Boyd will play in the five-eighth and fullback positions respectively while Ben Hunt and Andrew McCullough have entrenched themselves as the starting seven and nine.

Last year the Broncos struggled to find a settled fullback and five-eighth with Josh Hoffman, Ben Barba and Justin Hodges all spending time in the number one jersey and Hoffman and Barba sharing the six position.
Renouf says that uncertainty did the players no favours but adds that the firm hand of Bennett has provided the needed direction.
“This is exactly what the place needed,” Renouf says.
“They needed direction early and they have got it.
“Everyone knows where they stand.
“The constant guessing through a whole season doesn’t work.
“Wayne has said it straight that, ‘This is where you are playing and this is how we are going to start the year’.
“As a player and a team, that is the security you need.
“From the coach’s point of view, he now has a lot of time to work on that combination before the first game next year.”
Renouf says Boyd’s return to Brisbane gives the Broncos a ball playing fullback who always delivers.
“Darius is solid. He’s creative, and you know he is going to do his job and not let you down.
“He’s solid and he is a competitor. He is a current Queensland and Test player.
“You just can’t go past his experience.”
Renouf says Boyd will feel at home playing under Bennett again in Broncos colours.
“Darius has stuck with him. A lot of us were similar.
“You play for your coach. That is very important.”
Former Broncos Ben Hannant, Hoffman, Martin Kennedy, Dave Hala and Barba have all found new homes.
Bennett said this week that no more players would be moving on so the squad has a settled look about it early in the pre-season.
The club also welcomed former Tiger forward Adam Blair this week to give the pack real grunt.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/broncos-spine-thrive-2015/

I have one question: Was Boyd the "ball playing fullback who always delivers" doing that when Steve says: " “He’s solid and he is a competitor. He is a current Queensland and Test player."

I thought he played most of that higher level footie on the wing?

Can't wait to see his ball playing skills.

His experience at SoO and Interneational however is a real asset.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I have one question: Was Boyd the "ball playing fullback who always delivers" doing that when Steve says: " “He’s solid and he is a competitor. He is a current Queensland and Test player."

I thought he played most of that higher level footie on the wing?

Can't wait to see his ball playing skills.

His experience at SoO and Interneational however is a real asset.

Boyd definitely has the ball playing skills we need at fullback.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Boyd definitely has the ball playing skills we need at fullback.

Honestly can't wait to to see them (no sarcasm intended) however my comments about Boyd are always coloured by my belief that Milford woud have been the FB we needed, with Barba at 5/8.

However, Bennett preferred Boyd and as a FB, I know he will do a good job. I just can't wait to see his ball playing skills.

Also, if anyone refers me to Boyd's 2013 season, I will refer them to Barba's 2012.

I'm interested in 2015

Last edited:
Mosyzlak

Mosyzlak

QCup Player
Dec 14, 2013
Hot tip for everyone out there, if you use Chrome you can open an article in an "Incognito Window" by right clicking the link and selecting "Open in an incognito window" and you'll never b have to worry about that "limit". All based on web cookies.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Hot tip for everyone out there, if you use Chrome you can open an article in an "Incognito Window" by right clicking the link and selecting "Open in an incognito window" and you'll never b have to worry about that "limit". All based on web cookies.

Good tip thanks mate.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Good tip thanks mate.
It's a good tip for general browsing, as it avoids sites tracking you and your habits.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for many sites, which like the case in point, will simply display a message telling you that the content isn't available if you're not a subscriber, or don't have cookies enabled, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Big Del
  • Allo
  • Mustafur
  • Fozz
  • Mr Fourex
  • dirtyharry
  • thenry
  • TimWhatley
  • bb_gun
  • Aldo
  • Nerd
  • Mister Wright
  • winslow_wong
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.