The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Lol, just like the excuses you chaps keep spouting in case we do win the comp.

'Oh, but it'll be in spite of Bennett'.

You seem genuinely worried we might win the comp and you'll look a bit silly after leading such a strong vendetta.

I don't even care though, man. I'm just going to sit back and watch the footy, and try not to get caught up in all the politics on here... although it might be too late! :)

Cheers.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Like I've said every time you guys try this, all I am doing is pointing out the facts BEFORE a ball has been kicked with Bennett as the coach.

- Finished top 8 with potential for top 4, only missed out through stupidity in about 20 minutes total across the season.
- Form half of the year, almost won the dally M, coming in to his second year of starting half.
- bought the best young player, also most exciting player, in the competition.

So we had all the makings of improving on what should have been a top 4 finish, and what was still a top 8 finish. Without bennett, anything less than a top 4 finish this year would've been a disappointment. With him, anything less than a top 4 finish is definitely a disappointment, especially since he got rid of some players controversially so he is shouldering more blame if the purchases dont work out.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Like I've said every time you guys try this, all I am doing is pointing out the facts BEFORE a ball has been kicked with Bennett as the coach.

- Finished top 8 with potential for top 4, only missed out through stupidity in about 20 minutes total across the season.
- Form half of the year, almost won the dally M, coming in to his second year of starting half.
- bought the best young player, also most exciting player, in the competition.

So we had all the makings of improving on what should have been a top 4 finish, and what was still a top 8 finish. Without bennett, anything less than a top 4 finish this year would've been a disappointment. With him, anything less than a top 4 finish is definitely a disappointment, especially since he got rid of some players controversially so he is shouldering more blame if the purchases dont work out.
Best young player whos preferred playing position is known by you. Tell me . Is that one of your facts?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Best young player whos preferred playing position is known by you. Tell me . Is that one of your facts?

I think AP has said has always been referring to his opinion that Milford's best position is fullback, not necessarily his fullback being preferred position.

we don't always let players dictate which position they play in the team, IMO, if they aren't prepared to play in the position that best suits the team, then they have no place in the team, i.e. Hoffman

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
I think AP has said has always been referring to his opinion that Milford's best position is fullback, not necessarily his fullback being preferred position.

we don't always let players dictate which position they play in the team, IMO, if they aren't prepared to play in the position that best suits the team, then they have no place in the team, i.e. Hoffman
No. He continually presents speculation or opinion as "fact"

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Can we please discuss the topic, not the posters?

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
As someone who watched Milford like a hawk in pretty much every Canberra game due to him being one of my big fantasy league guns, it's hard to argue that fullback isn't his best position. He played there for 2 years, was fantastic in those 2 years, and played a handful of games in the halves and was noticeably less effective.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Watched like a hawk with blinkers on .......

From fullback he can be wonderful as an individual.

In the halves he could do the same for himself and others around him.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

That's not how modern halves play. Compare guys like Inglis, Slater, Hayne etc. to most halves. Deadly runners who can put on finishing touches belong at fullback.

Milford hasn't shown any organisational or creative ball playing skills yet. Just because he's an incredibly gifted runner, doesn't mean he'll also end up being great at those skills either.

I still don't understand why people want to limit his best talents by having him create for others, play with less room and play on just one side of the field.

Last edited:
Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Does Thurston only play one one side of the field?

Cronk ...DCE?

They can show up anywhere they want.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Milford has shown lots of creativity. Some of his short balls to forwards are sublime. But, I think [MENTION=1795]Alec[/MENTION] is 100% right in saying Milford has shown no organisational ability. He looks burdened by organising duties and it often forces him to go into first receiver only to lamely hand off to a forward. He doesn't do it to direct the way he wants a set to unfold the way Thurston does -- he does it because he feels like he should, and it removes his ability to float around do what he does best.

He's also a very ordinary kicker in general play. Absolutely everything positive you can mention about Milford as a five-eight applies to Milford at fullback. With the added advantage that he has more license to do what he wants.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
He has a better kicking game than Ben Hunt

and judging his organisational skills on a "handful of games" with a shunt of a team like the Raiders, is not only disingenuous, but outright foolish.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
LOL. No way does he have a better kicking game than Hunt. No way Jose.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008

He made like 21 line break assists and 17 try assists FROM FULLBACK lol

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I've checked a couple stat sites and it seems that it's actually 13 line break assists and 12 try assists

.....I guess that's "like" 21 & 17 respectively.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
and judging his organisational skills on a "handful of games" with a shunt of a team like the Raiders, is not only disingenuous, but outright foolish.

You're doing the same thing, just in the positive instead of the negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Wolfie
  • Dash
  • KickHaas
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.