The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Milford has shown lots of creativity. Some of his short balls to forwards are sublime.

Yeah, and Pearce and even Norman (in 2012) were delivering sublime short passes to forwards too. They haven't shown more than that, and neither has Milford yet though.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Like I've said every time you guys try this, all I am doing is pointing out the facts BEFORE a ball has been kicked with Bennett as the coach.

- Finished top 8 with potential for top 4, only missed out through stupidity in about 20 minutes total across the season.
- Form half of the year, almost won the dally M, coming in to his second year of starting half.
- bought the best young player, also most exciting player, in the competition.

So we had all the makings of improving on what should have been a top 4 finish, and what was still a top 8 finish. Without bennett, anything less than a top 4 finish this year would've been a disappointment. With him, anything less than a top 4 finish is definitely a disappointment, especially since he got rid of some players controversially so he is shouldering more blame if the purchases dont work out.

I assume some praise as well if the changes he has made work.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Like I've said every time you guys try this, all I am doing is pointing out the facts BEFORE a ball has been kicked with Bennett as the coach.

- Finished top 8 with potential for top 4, only missed out through stupidity in about 20 minutes total across the season.
- Form half of the year, almost won the dally M, coming in to his second year of starting half.
- bought the best young player, also most exciting player, in the competition.

So we had all the makings of improving on what should have been a top 4 finish, and what was still a top 8 finish. Without bennett, anything less than a top 4 finish this year would've been a disappointment. With him, anything less than a top 4 finish is definitely a disappointment, especially since he got rid of some players controversially so he is shouldering more blame if the purchases dont work out.

I disagree with these points. Chalking up the derailing of our season to 20 minutes of stupidity would account for the Cronulla game but what about the rest? That mentality is far too simplistic and glosses over quite a few flaws that a change of coach is trying to rectify. Firstly, we were far too inconsistent to really be a chance at a top 4 finish. Any way you cut it, we scraped into the eight. We lost our last game of the year and had to rely on the results of two other matches to decide our fate. Hardly the sign of a team that's on the up and up.

We were beaten pretty comprehensively by all 4 of the top 4 teams, imo. I admit the scoreline was close on a number of occasions but a closer examination of those games will reveal we were never in the hunt. We conceded 20-30 points on a pretty regular basis and make far too many unforced errors to be considered a top tier team, imo. Even sides in the lower half of the 8 like Melbourne, who looked very out of sorts for much of the year performed like world beaters against us.

For mine, it characterises a lot of problems that the club has. Tight scorelines in entertaining games against quality opposition only to fall short on a consistent basis creates the impression that we are there or thereabouts when in reality we are anything but. We needed a clean out because we needed a change.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
The titans game was a minute from a win (well it was also an incorrect ref call that lost it but thats another story), and I believe both the souths and roosters games iirc were both literally last minute losses that only happened cause we put our guard down when we thought we had it won. Add those 3 minutes to the souths game and we have about 20 minutes that cost us a top 4 spot.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
The titans game was a minute from a win (well it was also an incorrect ref call that lost it but thats another story), and I believe both the souths and roosters games iirc were both literally last minute losses that only happened cause we put our guard down when we thought we had it won. Add those 3 minutes to the souths game and we have about 20 minutes that cost us a top 4 spot.

Sure, but let's not worry about the other 80 minute games we lost because it suits your agenda. Again.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Huh? The other games are irrelevant to what we are discussing. Had we won those games that we were talking about we would have finished in the top 4. So like I said, had it not been for about 20 mins of brain farts, we would've finished in the top 4, so finishing in the top 4 next year with milford is what we should already be expecting before Bennett even signed.

Playing the agenda card when there's nothing even remotely agenda like being discussed. I get that its your go-to word for when someone says something you disagree with, but maybe try refraining from just shouting it out for no reason at all.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Huh? The other games are irrelevant to what we are discussing. Had we won those games that we were talking about we would have finished in the top 4. So like I said, had it not been for about 20 mins of brain farts, we would've finished in the top 4, so finishing in the top 4 next year with milford is what we should already be expecting before Bennett even signed.

Playing the agenda card when there's nothing even remotely agenda like being discussed. I get that its your go-to word for when someone says something you disagree with, but maybe try refraining from just shouting it out for no reason at all.
By this logic Newcastle should have had a better season were not for those few games blarty blarty blah....would have could have should have. We had 6 years of mediocrity and loss of the hard won respect , next year things will be better.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Why are they irrelevant? It didn't just come down to those games. It was because of every game we lost that we didn't make the top 4. Every single one. I don't get how that is irrelevant at all. You seem to overlook them because it just doesn't suit your argument. I'm sorry but that isn't how arguments work. You're supposed to listen to others opinions and formulate a logical response, not just repeat your illogical nonsense constantly.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I honestly fail to see what was controversial about ning's statement.

It's a no-brainer and if any other team had to make do under similar circumstances, fans would be making the exact same statements.

This is a very exciting Broncos roster, I've got plenty of faith they'll go onto have a good 2015 even without Boyd but I'm not going to get too caught up on whether or not they finish Top 4 in 2015. The only placements that will really bother me is if they somehow manage to miss out on the play-offs or (hopefully) win a premiership.

The Broncos could be coached by Fozz for all I care, as long as they're winning and making real waves then that's all I care about.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
So by your logic every other team could have made the top 4 also. You can't just claim we didn't make the top 4 because of those games, you have factored in no other variables ie. tight games other top 8 non top 8 teams lost. your point is utterly redundant.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
how were canberra as a whole playing with milford at the back what was their win percentage?

Compare both of those questions to when he was at 5/8th.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
how were canberra as a whole playing with milford at the back what was their win percentage?

Compare both of those questions to when he was at 5/8th.

That'd be pointless, as all of their games with Milford at 5/8th were against bottom 6 clubs.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
So by your logic every other team could have made the top 4 also. You can't just claim we didn't make the top 4 because of those games, you have factored in no other variables ie. tight games other top 8 non top 8 teams lost. your point is utterly redundant.
I can claim we didn't make the top 4 because of those games because we had those games won, in the bag, and a few minutes of stupidity (and an incorrect referee decision in the titans case) made us lose those 4 games, which had we won we would've finished in the top 4. It doesn't matter about the other games that we lost - had we won those like we should have, we would have finished in the top 4. i dont get how this is a hard thing to comprehend lol.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
I can claim we didn't make the top 4 because of those games because we had those games won, in the bag, and a few minutes of stupidity (and an incorrect referee decision in the titans case) made us lose those 4 games, which had we won we would've finished in the top 4. It doesn't matter about the other games that we lost - had we won those like we should have, we would have finished in the top 4. i dont get how this is a hard thing to comprehend lol.

I didn't mention anything about other games we lost. I said other games every other team in the comp lost, its not hard to comprehend its nonsensical.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
I didn't mention anything about other games we lost. I said other games every other team in the comp lost, its not hard to comprehend its nonsensical.
But that has nothing to do with us losing those games that we had wrapped up and won only to lose them!! lol

thats what you dont seem to be getting. with the way every other team went this season, had we not shit the bed for a few minutes in those 4 games we would have finished top 4. we had those games won and we threw them away.

again - not hard to comprehend, but you're doing a damn good job of making it look hard.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
But that has nothing to do with us losing those games that we had wrapped up and won only to lose them!! lol

thats what you dont seem to be getting. with the way every other team went this season, had we not shit the bed for a few minutes in those 4 games we would have finished top 4. we had those games won and we threw them away.

again - not hard to comprehend, but you're doing a damn good job of making it look hard.

Well we clearly did not have them wrapped up did we champ!!! lol You are completely missing the point. the dogs for example lost 3 games by 6 or under all 3 they were in and could have won, the cows lost 7 games by 6 or less, all of those games they could have easily won. The fact is they didn't and we didn't so the hypothetical is brain numbing.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

But in this ridiculous fantasy land where we win those games, why don't the other clubs get to win games that they lost too? A different scenario could lead to a disastrous situation. How do we know that this is the best timeline?

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
But in this ridiculous fantasy land where we win those games, why don't the other clubs get to win games that they lost too? A different scenario could lead to a disastrous situation. How do we know that this is the best timeline?

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• mrslong
  • mitch222
  • Fozz
  • Organix
  • phoenix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Waynesaurus
  • Culhwch
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  • porouian
  • Midean
  • Dash
  • mystico
  • Mr Fourex
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.