The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
WB doesn't deserve any credit for top 4 because it's a meaningless achievement.

He's bought a lot of players for now, so he gets judged on premierships won and that alone IMO.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Well, what's not impossible to understand, is that the only reason you are trying to make this point is so that you have a way to not give WB any credit should he get the Broncos into the top 4

We ALL see it now - "Oh no, Bennett didn't improve us at all, we were that good last year too except for 20 minutes"

Because it's absolutely impossible to suggest that Bennett may be responsible for fixing up the 20 minutes of brain farts and actually improving the team
well no. If you actually looked i said that we shouldve made the top 4 this year, and even without bennett i wouldve been expecting a top 4 finish because we came so close this year and should have made it, and we've gained milford. i think its fair to say that when you gain one of the most exciting prospects in the game that you should expect to do better the next year, and we came within a bees dick of the top 4 last year, so put 2 and 2 together.

but sure, just say its because i dislike bennett. what were you expecting, 15th or so, so when we make the 8 youll hail bennett as the messiah for single handedly getting them there?

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
3POyupA.gif

M

mieko

QCup Player
Aug 25, 2011
WB brings a lot more than just his on field coaching. The off field is massive in the mentoring, quite words in the ear, man management etc. if we make the 8, fantastic, WB gets some credit as we should be there anyway. We make the 4, brilliant, he gets a fair bit of credit and by chance we win it then he gets a ton of credit and rightly so.

now, I'm of the belief that it's largely up to the players as they are on the field but the coaches deserve more credit than what they get in implementing plays, set structures in d and attack etc etc players need to pull it off.

and yes we do have the roster to win it though so do half the other clubs. IMO, it's how the coach pulls it all together and that's what WB does in the biggest way.

top 8 next year, maybe top 4 but second year in its game on.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
well no. If you actually looked i said that we shouldve made the top 4 this year, and even without bennett i wouldve been expecting a top 4 finish because we came so close this year and should have made it, and we've gained milford. i think its fair to say that when you gain one of the most exciting prospects in the game that you should expect to do better the next year, and we came within a bees dick of the top 4 last year, so put 2 and 2 together.

Finishing in eighth spot (along with two other teams on the same number of competition points) isn't what I'd call missing out on a top 4 berth by a bee's dick. Milford's inclusion isn't a guarantee of a high spot up the ladder either.

Personally, if Bennett gets us to 7th position or higher then we will be improving. I think if we can hover around 4 - 6 on the ladder we'll be going alright.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
EDIT: Baiting

Last edited by a moderator:
QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008

While i agree that the same argument is being used over and over, this is actually a thread for discussing all things wayne.

I find it ironic that you whinge about the same old stuff being posted, and even post a pic about changing the channel. Guess what buddy. The "change channel" button is right there for you, in fact, why do you keep choosing to watch the same channel if it bores you so much. If you hated ABC, would you turn your tv on and go to channel 2? No, you wouldnt. How about not coming into the thread. Maybe instead of posting a pic like that, you could just, i dunno, click your back button and save yourself so much boredom (and save us from your pointless whinging)

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I'll ask others this question.

Does Bennett have to deliver Broncos a premiership in the next three years to be considered anything less than a failure.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Does Bennett have to deliver Broncos a premiership in the next three years to be considered anything less than a failure.

In my opinion, no. The Broncos as a whole have to deliver the premiership. Can't have any more half assed efforts from anyone. The usual suspects need to do everything way better than they have been. A lot of them are very lucky only some were on the chopping block. It's not just Bennett and the Broncos. It's the Brisbane Broncos.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
In my opinion, no. The Broncos as a whole have to deliver the premiership. Can't have any more half assed efforts from anyone. The usual suspects need to do everything way better than they have been. A lot of them are very lucky only some were on the chopping block. It's not just Bennett and the Broncos. It's the Brisbane Broncos.

That just sounds like a "if we lose its coz the players didn't put in" excuse though, right? Shifting the blame perhaps

Mosyzlak

Mosyzlak

QCup Player
Dec 14, 2013

With the heavy handed manner in which he came in and made changes I think he needs to either:

A. Come very close to giving us a premiership, like top four 2/3 years and being a whisker off making the GF probably both times
B. Still make a fist of it while trying to manage some serious setbacks (Boyd's Achilles taken into account, that's not enough)

He is going to live or die by the sword is what I take from his actions. If we scrape into the eight the next 3 years that won't be enough. I doubt he'd be fired even if we finished 12th the next 2 years but we would definitely call that a failure and I reckon he'd call time on his career as a coach.

*Opinion piece

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
That just sounds like a "if we lose its coz the players didn't put in" excuse though, right? Shifting the blame perhaps

Haha really? Can we change that fullback poll and add Wayne Bennett please? Maybe he can run out on the field and do the hard stuff all year.

Mosyzlak

Mosyzlak

QCup Player
Dec 14, 2013

Alternatively:

C. Win the fucker and let us drench Caxton St in the amber liquid of the gods

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Whether any of us are wishing success or defeat for Bennett or not, there is one fact that cannot be disputed at the end of the day: In this NRL, there is zero reason why this squad cannot win a premiership in the next 3 years

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Haha really? Can we change that fullback poll and add Wayne Bennett please? Maybe he can run out on the field and do the hard stuff all year.

Not what I mean mate. All I'm saying is if we can heap accolades on a coach for winning a title, we have to do the opposite and put a fair share on them for not winning. Alternatively, if we accept that maybe it's the players that are more responsible for losses, then when it comes to winning, they should take most of the credit. That's all.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Not what I mean mate. All I'm saying is if we can heap accolades on a coach for winning a title, we have to do the opposite and put a fair share on them for not winning. Alternatively, if we accept that maybe it's the players that are more responsible for losses, then when it comes to winning, they should take most of the credit. That's all.

But if we don't win it then who is going to cop the blame from you? The accolades have never just gone to the coach. He doesn't get to take the trophy home, along with 17 premiership rings. He doesn't win the Clive Churchill medal and get selected in the Australian team afterwards. He is always the last person on the team list. A fair share of the blame will go on Bennett if we don't win a premiership. The key word is fair though. You can't just chastise him on his inability to win a premiership for us yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.