The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
How about some perspective ,huh ? Let's get something straight, there is nobody on this planet who is flawless, no person without failings. I have respect for WB and what he stands for. I know that WB has some spiritual beliefs whereas I am an atheist so that makes me think WB is delusional about some things. I didn't and don't agree with letting Hannant go, I thought he had a place in the team.

If I spent more time with WB I am sure I would have some disagreements with him and find things I didn't like or agree with. He like all of us is flawed. I do respect him because he has earned it with the club he built for us, for me. The incredible respect he has earned in the wider community reinforces that view and what really rams it home is the respect and like that so so many of his players have expressed. His Australian Story episode did nothing to lessen that respect. He cannot please everyone nor does he try and there are always going to be those few who will not like him no matter his efforts.

So, if you guys are clear on the events and can relate them on Porthozs behalf then please do so. I haven't read them or seen them and all I'm asking is a simple timeline of events which shows how WB did wrong by Griffin. The underhanded way WB shafted him that Porthoz has claimed. If Porthoz has said it and outlined what happened then please simply cut and paste it and then I'll know the 'truth'.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Boy, hasn't this thread had some rocket fuel injected into it the last few days, huh?

I may as well weigh in with my two cents worth...

I tend to agree with broncos4life regarding the "my source says" posts from some people. I go a bit further though. Whenever I read a post about "intel" or "sources" I think to myself "just shuck the **** up" and skip to the next post. . . not necessarily in that order. I'm a bit of a cynic and the way I see it anyone with connections that close to the club would be impressing people with it in real life and not wasting time on a fan discussion forum.

Regarding Griffin, Bennett etc as others have said it's impossible to know the order of events and we may never know how it all went down. I will say though that people in high paying jobs don't normally leave them unless they've got another gig lined up.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Boy, hasn't this thread had some rocket fuel injected into it the last few days, huh?

I may as well weigh in with my two cents worth...

I tend to agree with broncos4life regarding the "my source says" posts from some people. I go a bit further though. Whenever I read a post about "intel" or "sources" I think to myself "just shuck the **** up" and skip to the next post. . . not necessarily in that order. I'm a bit of a cynic and the way I see it anyone with connections that close to the club would be impressing people with it in real life and not wasting time on a fan discussion forum.

Regarding Griffin, Bennett etc as others have said it's impossible to know the order of events and we may never know how it all went down. I will say though that people in high paying jobs don't normally leave them unless they've got another gig lined up.
I normally don't post stuff from "sources", mainly because... when I get the juicy bits, it's not to share them further, especially not on such a public place as BHQ, otherwise my source will dry up pretty quick. Not that I get a lot of info, or know the ins and outs of the club, but when I get something, it's generally spot on, hence the reason I trust it.
And I really am way past trying to impress anyone on the interwebs! :laugh:

Normally, you weed out pretty quick who the posers are and who actually has some inside info. On this forum for example, 1910 and nopatience101 are the ones mostly on the money with their stuff, and none of them has ever needed to name their source(s). But you can also clearly see that they generally only reveal what they "are allowed to".

On this occasion however, the "juicy bit" didn't come with the usual "confidential information" label. On the contrary, as I said at the time, I think some pretty pissed off people in the know, didn't like what happened, and leaked it on purpose.
I wasn't the only one with pretty much the same version of facts at the time, and the way Anthony Griffin was shafted didn't sit well with me, much less WB's involvement, so I vented my dislike, my loss of respect and the reason why I felt that way.

It wasn't to show I'm in the know (as I said I'm not, but I get the occasional good bit), nor did I expect to convince anyone with it, but it is good enough to convince me for all the above reasons!

@Huge, I'm not going to repeat myself for the umpteenth time. Your answers are in this and other threads, as well as in web links to various articles on the matter.
As to the definition of factual evidence, I recommend you brush up on it.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I normally don't post stuff from "sources", mainly because... when I get the juicy bits, it's not to share them further, especially not on such a public place as BHQ, otherwise my source will dry up pretty quick. Not that I get a lot of info, or know the ins and outs of the club, but when I get something, it's generally spot on, hence the reason I trust it.
And I really am way past trying to impress anyone on the interwebs! :laugh:

Normally, you weed out pretty quick who the posers are and who actually has some inside info. On this forum for example, 1910 and nopatience101 are the ones mostly on the money with their stuff, and none of them has ever needed to name their source(s). But you can also clearly see that they generally only reveal what they "are allowed to".

On this occasion however, the "juicy bit" didn't come with the usual "confidential information" label. On the contrary, as I said at the time, I think some pretty pissed off people in the know, didn't like what happened, and leaked it on purpose.
I wasn't the only one with pretty much the same version of facts at the time, and the way Anthony Griffin was shafted didn't sit well with me, much less WB's involvement, so I vented my dislike, my loss of respect and the reason why I felt that way.

It wasn't to show I'm in the know (as I said I'm not, but I get the occasional good bit), nor did I expect to convince anyone with it, but it is good enough to convince me for all the above reasons!

@Huge, I'm not going to repeat myself for the umpteenth time. Your answers are in this and other threads, as well as in web links to various articles on the matter.
As to the definition of factual evidence, I recommend you brush up on it.
No problem..just guide me to where you posted the timeline/event sequence ...really, it can't be too hard to tell me what thread/s it is in. Perhaps a link to the article/s you mentioned, you know ,where to look. Not much to ask, I really would like to spare you the effort of writing three or four lines which should be ample to briefly describe the events and the sequence of said events. I do note that you just wrote 16 lines or so, how hard would it be to simply type a few more ? Cmon Porthoz, you've typed a thousand words or more, just the brief timeline, bare bones,no commentary required,perfunctory ,sparse,Spartan....

Mosyzlak

Mosyzlak

QCup Player
Dec 14, 2013
The problem is Huge, you created this 'issue'. You questioned Porthoz on his beliefs about Wayne's return to the Broncos and are trying to call him out on it. He has said he is not interested in telling you where his information came from and is also very happy for you to not believe him, but to act like lawyer and demand he answers every single question you have is not in the spirit of this forum

^In my opinion^

There are many worse things said about the Broncos in this forum than using symbolic characters like 'Boy(d)' to show people your alignment. Why have you jumped on this one? He's not been overly harsh

Wayne Bennett talking to the media about the Broncos is roughly akin to me as any coach/CEO of a team talking to the media. How many times have you heard 'player X is definitely staying with this club' to only hear a report a week or two later that player X is granted a full release? Does that not affect the whole balance of truth of what is said to the media? I can't quote you a particular line from Bennett that fits that scenario because I don't have the brain cells left from 2 christmas parties last weekend or the knowledge that existed prior to said parties but I do know that clubs are run like a business and businesses do distort the truth to keep the status quo.

Wayne's a straight shooter in my mind, but I'm not going to discount that it might be possible he did go against his own words in this instance simply because it may have been on the cards and he called those cards a smidge early.

You cannot call what Wayne has said as proof and neither can Porthoz say the same as the rumours he heard, at least from what he has revealed. I will say that I do give more credence to what a regular Joe, whose word to me is trustworthy, hears from someone like Wayne/Paul White/Darren Lockyer than what those same people would say to the press because it's a thousand times less likely to be used against them and hence the business side doesn't come into it.

You referenced God in an earlier reply to Porthoz, I'm not going to tell you to not treat Wayne as a God but please don't expect everyone to have divine reverence towards him.

This is a way to long post for me, I'm tapping out

Mosyzlak

Mosyzlak

QCup Player
Dec 14, 2013
Terrible move financially to bring Wayne back, club is going backwards.:laugh:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r-by-16-per-cent/story-fniabm4i-1227151678453
Everywhere he goes there's an upswell in interest, more articles get written about that team and memberships come along with that. Short term gain, definiteley. Long term though? Can't say that just yet.

To clarify, I'm happy he is back and very keen for 2015. Hell that's a jingle the Broncos could use in membership advertising "Very keen for 2015!"

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
Everywhere he goes there's an upswell in interest, more articles get written about that team and memberships come along with that. Short term gain, definiteley. Long term though? Can't say that just yet.

To clarify, I'm happy he is back and very keen for 2015. Hell that's a jingle the Broncos could use in membership advertising "Very keen for 2015!"

Yeah time will tell i guess. Fingers crossed.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Last edited:
Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
Whi us to say that Bennett is the reason for the increased memberships (FTR memberships have increased every year for the last 3 seasons or so)

Maybe the reason for the increase is people wanting to watch Milford in Broncos colours

Edit; MY BAD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
EDIT: quotes removed post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
The problem is Huge, you created this 'issue'. You questioned Porthoz on his beliefs about Wayne's return to the Broncos and are trying to call him out on it. He has said he is not interested in telling you where his information came from and is also very happy for you to not believe him, but to act like lawyer and demand he answers every single question you have is not in the spirit of this forum

^In my opinion^

There are many worse things said about the Broncos in this forum than using symbolic characters like 'Boy(d)' to show people your alignment. Why have you jumped on this one? He's not been overly harsh

Wayne Bennett talking to the media about the Broncos is roughly akin to me as any coach/CEO of a team talking to the media. How many times have you heard 'player X is definitely staying with this club' to only hear a report a week or two later that player X is granted a full release? Does that not affect the whole balance of truth of what is said to the media? I can't quote you a particular line from Bennett that fits that scenario because I don't have the brain cells left from 2 christmas parties last weekend or the knowledge that existed prior to said parties but I do know that clubs are run like a business and businesses do distort the truth to keep the status quo.

Wayne's a straight shooter in my mind, but I'm not going to discount that it might be possible he did go against his own words in this instance simply because it may have been on the cards and he called those cards a smidge early.

You cannot call what Wayne has said as proof and neither can Porthoz say the same as the rumours he heard, at least from what he has revealed. I will say that I do give more credence to what a regular Joe, whose word to me is trustworthy, hears from someone like Wayne/Paul White/Darren Lockyer than what those same people would say to the press because it's a thousand times less likely to be used against them and hence the business side doesn't come into it.

You referenced God in an earlier reply to Porthoz, I'm not going to tell you to not treat Wayne as a God but please don't expect everyone to have divine reverence towards him.

This is a way to long post for me, I'm tapping out

Mmm. Porthoz referenced God. I responded to his religious comment. Mosyzlak, Porthoz can defend himself ,it's a forum so what's it to you ? You have the option to simply not read a post, not view a thread. I have acted politely and asked for rather demanded answers to quite reasonable questions. Quite clearly you haven't read what I've written especially the part about how I considered WB.

Yes Porthoz, I am for real. instead of feigned incredulity what would be hard about 4 lines of text ? Instead of fatuously showing me the search button you could man up and simply back your lies, I'm sorry, your truths.

4 lines after you've written a hundred or more . I suspect you don't know how things went down, don't know what was said and are afraid to commit the story to the written word. If you were certain you'd do it in a heartbeat.

TonyTheJugoslav

TonyTheJugoslav

QCup Player
Nov 15, 2014
Port has said the version of events he has been told numerous times, why make him repeat it?

Oh no please no, l can repeate it coz l read it so many times in this thread. The last few pages have had well though out and well written arguments but l heard more constructive arguments in the toddler room when l was dropping my daughter off to kindy this morning.

Mosyzlak

Mosyzlak

QCup Player
Dec 14, 2013
[/B]Mmm. Porthoz referenced God. I responded to his religious comment. Mosyzlak, Porthoz can defend himself ,it's a forum so what's it to you ? You have the option to simply not read a post, not view a thread. I have acted politely and asked for rather demanded answers to quite reasonable questions. Quite clearly you haven't read what I've written especially the part about how I considered WB.
I know he can defend himself, I think he has done all he needs in that regard. I'm not trying to defend Port so much as make you realise your flogging a dead horse with an angry seal.

Anyhow, enjoy. As you were.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
To be fair, we added milford to our team so we will probably going to finish higher than this year, with or without bennett

To be fair, if we finish the same or worse than 2014, AP (and some others) will blame WB

It won't matter why we finished worse, it will be WB's fault

Should we do better, it will be because Milf is here, nothing to do with Wayne - and that's the problem

I have no problem with the coach being judged by results, that's the way it should be, but when people on either side of the debate say the coach is responsible for 1 result and circumstances for the other (which way depends on their agenda), that's where it becomes ridiculous

The coach is either to be held responsible for the results - all of them, good and bad - or he isn't

I am a WB fan and I think he will lead us well, but if we miss the 8 I'll be blaming WB, not making excuses as claimed by AP's agenda driven baseless post

As someone on the pro WB side, I will blame him for bad results

Are you prepared to give him credit for good ones?

Last edited:
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
So no, you won't type 4 lousy lines which detail the chronology of events but will write 100s of lines in your own defence. Corner...Painted. At least when I denigrate someone I give my reasons. If Port won't do it, can someone else do it for him or at least copy and paste the relevant section. I suspect it's never been written down but some of you claim you know it. Please demonstrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • bert_lifts
  • Organix
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.