The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wayne Bennet's 2015 Team Line Up

A couple of things about the Hasler v Bennett comparison. Hasler has obviously been to 2 more grand finals. Obviously he lost those extra 2 though so it doesn't count for much.

What impresses me though is the way he has handled change and transition. Matt Orford leaves in 2009, leaving Keiran Foran (9 games experience at this point) and rookie DCE as their halves. Most teams would struggle with 2 essentially rookie halves with 9 games of NRL between them. What does he do? Win a premiership.

He then goes to the Dogs and completely changes the way they play from how they did at Manly, developing Barba into a Dally M medallist and only bringing one notable player with him (Tony Williams).

Bennett on the other hand makes a similar move in changing teams shortly after winning a grand final, proceeds to bring multiple players with him (Boyd, Scott, McKinnon). He tries to use the exact same game plan at Newcastle and fails miserably.

So they've been in the same situation once in the last decade (new club) and Hasler wins this by TKO IMO. Had Bennett been in a situation where he lost his key halves, history suggests to me he wouldn't have had the balls to play 2 rookies the way Hasler did. For me that makes Hasler all the more impressive from an overall point of view.

Hopefully though, WB can go ahead on the Premierships count next year, and boost his lead in 2016!

Once again Ikin said on NRL 360 tonight that Barba will be the odd man out at the Broncos next year, his tip is that he'll be starting off the bench as a utility, similar to his role at the Bulldogs when he first started, with Milford, Boyd, Hunt, McCullough making up the spine.

You'd think he'd have some sort of insight on what Wayne plans to do, given their relationship.

Wayne wouldn't tell him shit, and if he did Ikin wouldn't share it

This is the same Ikin that was certain our 2015 halves pairing would be hunt and hunt

Wayne wouldn't tell him shit, and if he did Ikin wouldn't share it

This is the same Ikin that was certain our 2015 halves pairing would be hunt and hunt

He never uses the word certain, he would've said it's a real possibility, and before we signed Milford, it was.

My possible 2015 team given Boyd and Mason may well be here.

1. Milford.
2. Boyd.
3. Copley.
4. Hodges.
5. Vidot.
6. Barba.
7. Hunt.
8. McGuire.
9. McCullough.
10. Hannant.
11. Thaiday.
12. Gillett.
13. Parker.

14. Mason.
15. Garbutt.
16. Glenn.
17. Oates.

Hoffman, Reed, Kennedy, Lowrie, Stagg and Hala all make way to fit this side under the salary cap...

My possible 2015 team given Boyd and Mason may well be here.

1. Milford.
2. Boyd.
3. Copley.
4. Hodges.
5. Vidot.
6. Barba.
7. Hunt.
8. McGuire.
9. McCullough.
10. Hannant.
11. Thaiday.
12. Gillett.
13. Parker.

14. Mason.
15. Garbutt.
16. Glenn.
17. Oates.

Hoffman, Reed, Kennedy, Lowrie, Stagg and Hala all make way to fit this side under the salary cap...

you might as well put Boyd in the 6 (or maybe the 1, but doubtful) and Barba on the bench. imo, it is long odds that Boyd plays on the wing. Hala will stay because he is on minimum wage (plus incentives) and you need those players in your squad. I also expect at least 1 of Lowrie and Stagg to stay as Bennett loves those type of players.

folks, i hope you guys got used to a winger playing 5/8 when Hoffman was there ... because it is looking like we could be in for a winger playing 6 for a long time yet :Cry:

Last edited:

Mason? For real? :tsk:

Mason won't come to Brisbane.

He never uses the word certain, he would've said it's a real possibility, and before we signed Milford, it was.

He said "I'll tell you who the halves pairing at the brisbane broncos in 2015 will be. Ben hunt and karmichael hunt"
He didn't use the word 'certain' but he certainly didn't speculate. And this was after we had signed milford

So it looks inevitable that Boyd will be coming back and to do that we may have to offload Hoffman. It sounds like he will be playing 5/8 and Milford fullback.

A coach that plays favourites is not a good coach. End of story. Bennett lovers cannot argue that. A good coach makes decisions based on what is best for the team, not what is best for his lover boy.

A coach that plays favourites is not a good coach. End of story. Bennett lovers cannot argue that. A good coach makes decisions based on what is best for the team, not what is best for his lover boy.

And again, no one knows what will happen. Until then, this is all speculation and hyperbole. It's not healthy to take the kind of line you're taking on this.

We don't even know if boyd is coming.

Ok, so if boyd does come you will agree then? Thats what ur saying?

What I'm saying is; just relax and enjoy the ride. Trust in the new coach and his methods. You're entitled to your opinion, but the constant and insistent diatribe is nauseating.

If you can relax with the idea that the games biggest sook and one of the most horribly out of form players is come to steer your club around, then go for it

What I'm saying is that know one knows what will happen so stop acting like it's a done deal.

If you can relax with the idea that the games biggest sook and one of the most horribly out of form players is come to steer your club around, then go for it

Exhibit A.

diatribe

ˈdʌɪətrʌɪb/
noun
noun: diatribe; plural noun: diatribes
a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something.

forum
ˈfɔːrəm

noun
noun: forum; plural noun: forums; plural noun: fora
a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Dash
  • cento
  • Jazza
  • Wolfie
  • Brocko
  • lakers133334
  • Robboi_321
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mustafur
  • Battler
  • Astro
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Strop
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • broncos4life
  • Fozz
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncorob
  • Bucking Beads
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.