The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex Glenn will do well to retain his spot this year in my opinion. He's to worried about social media.. Hopefully Bennett can get him playing with his heart again.

Captaincy takes some players to another level. We know it doesn't with Thaiday. And yeah there are question marks over Glenns worth to the team. Ideally it will go back to Parker, but if WB goes outside of the current leadership group, I'd prefer a younger head with a long career in front of them.

I'm not sure how there can be question marks over Glenn's position at all, he was easily our most consistent performing backrower this year (Better than Thaiday, Oates & Post-Origin Gillett), he'd be the first back rower I'd pencil in for us at the moment honestly.

8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant*
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Thaiday
15. Garbutt
16. Oates
17. Kennedy*

That's my honest rotation for next year, pending Hannant staying or going.. I love Thaiday, but he'd be lucky to have 2 more productive seasons at best, Glenn & Gillett are in their prime (26-29 is the age that backrowers peak, imo), Thaiday is also the sort of player who has bursts of awesomeness, coming off the bench he can have a massive impact in the back-end of the first half and in the middle of the second half.

I liked the veiled reference to Rudyard Kiplings great poem right at the end of the quotes .....it summed up WB and his approach to life. I trained or perhaps raised my son with that poem in mind and asked him to learn it and even better, understand it.

I liked the veiled reference to Rudyard Kiplings great poem right at the end of the quotes .....it summed up WB and his approach to life. I trained or perhaps raised my son with that poem in mind and asked him to learn it and even better, understand it.

He loves 'IF.'

The only positive I can see with Sam over Corey or Hodgo as captain is that he has a couple more years in him.

But if longevity is a contributing factor I would also prefer Bhunt and to a much lesser extent, McC over Thaiday.

WB is on the record saying he believes Bhunt will be the 7 for the next 7-10 years. Give him the captaincy now IMO.

One of Ben Hunt's biggest challenges next year will be staving off 'second yr syndrome'.. last thing you want to do is burden him with the captaincy as well.

His time will come.

Thaiday will be in the second row. Glenn could have a huge year outside Milford, running off the confusion Milford creates. Oates to replace Thaiday and run his great lines.
Just leaves Gillett and at present i am not sure where he fits into the scheme of things in my team

One of Ben Hunt's biggest challenges next year will be staving off 'second yr syndrome'.. last thing you want to do is burden him with the captaincy as well.

His time will come.

Fair point. As I've said ideally it will stay with Parker for now, but I just get a feeling Hunt could handle it.

He loves 'IF.'
I love that someone knew what I was referring to. Even better that you knew which poem. Best of all ,WB knows how great an instruction that 119 year old piece of wisdom is !

Fair point. As I've said ideally it will stay with Parker for now, but I just get a feeling Hunt could handle it.

Ideally for the fans Parker would be captain but i am not sure he would be looked upon as ideal within the inner sanctum.

Thaiday will be in the second row. Glenn could have a huge year outside Milford, running off the confusion Milford creates. Oates to replace Thaiday and run his great lines.
Just leaves Gillett and at present i am not sure where he fits into the scheme of things in my team

Glenn was terrible for most of the year...

With 5/8ths that mostly didn't pass the ball to him, you'd have to expect that.

He was at his best running good lines off a Lockyer bullet pass .... but then most people would do well on the end of a Lockyer pass.

while Hoggman was 5/8, yes

but once Barba started at 5/8 he improved ... its much easier for back rowers to look good when they are outside a 5/8 that actually knows how to pass

Good to see Bennett confirm that Thaiday is playing second row again. He is so wasted in the middle. He destroys opponents on the fringes. We will see the old Sam Thaiday next year

Good to see Bennett confirm that Thaiday is playing second row again. He is so wasted in the middle. He destroys opponents on the fringes. We will see the old Sam Thaiday next year

Gives him a chance to ball play a bit too.

He has a lot of ball playing skills.

More like 2011 when he was between Lockyer and hodges

Last edited:
Thaiday was only slightly less than useless at 2RF as opposed to useless at FRF. Should've cut him loose, hes a waste of a huge amount of cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Wolfie
  • kwomo
  • Evander
  • Allo
  • theshed
  • Lurker
  • GCBRONCO
  • RolledOates
  • winslow_wong
  • leon.bott
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.