The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martin Kennedy is fucking huge, why does he run at defensive lines like a big pillow.. I really hope Wayne can get in his ear and bring out the best of him, with a frame that big he still has plenty of upside.

Martin Kennedy is ****ing huge, why does he run at defensive lines like a big pillow.. I really hope Wayne can get in his ear and bring out the best of him, with a frame that big he still has plenty of upside.

Yeah it's frustrating to watch as the guy really has something to offer. There were times I could have sworn I saw him actually slow down before hitting the line.

Maybe Kennedy needs a heart transplant ... Bennett needs to teach him to get the ball and run hard and fast into the defensive line. I wouldn't even get him to worry about offloading at this stage ... simplify his job, get the ball and run make as many meters as he can, and try to get a quick play the ball.

Hell, we should get Webcke or Civoniceva to work with him ... those guys were all heart, maybe some of it will rub off on Kennedy

He's no worse than thaiday and co. though, which is half our problem. All the top teams have forward packs where not a single Broncos forward other than McGuire and Parker would have a chance of replacing any of them.

He's no worse than thaiday and co. though, which is half our problem. All the top teams have forward packs where not a single Broncos forward other than McGuire and Parker would have a chance of replacing any of them.

not even Parker ...

edit: disregard ... I missed the part where you said other than Parker or McGuire

Last edited:
Yeah it's frustrating to watch as the guy really has something to offer. There were times I could have sworn I saw him actually slow down before hitting the line.

Hopefully Wayne can fire him up !

not even Parker ...

edit: disregard ... I missed the part where you said other than Parker or McGuire
I edited them in, completely forgot about them lol, so you prob replied just after the edit.

The first player I'd be sorting out if I were Bennet would be Martin Kennedy.*

It's clear he can be a weapon. He's the biggest prop in the game and should be bending the line on every run. His issue is all mental, and this is exactly where wayne excels to earn the label of " greatest coach the game has ever seen ".

First thing I'd do, is have a conversation with him. Heart to heart, become a trusted father figure, pin point exactly what it is in his mind causing his insecurities and unlock what's holding him back. . Could be the pressure of a big contact, the pressure of a club like the broncos, or it could have stemmed from the inherent pressure that the club was under last year in general after their "worst season ever" as it was labeled in the news. Or, its a combination of them all.

I'd start by pulling him away from the group, get him in before the rest of the team start their pre-season and get him boxing. Train him with vigorous discipline. Boxing is one of the best mediums for improving mental and physical discipline, and it's what he needs to master. It will harden his body to take stronger hits. Because we all know his problem is hutting the line hard, so stripping back whatever fear he has of doing that at the moment is the key. Boxing is a great place to start in the quest to focus his mind on his body as a whole, and to distract him from the team and club pressures.*

I'd then have him running through mud and into through other natural forms which produce strong resistance like maybe the beach, doing a beap test through 450mil deep water or even taking hit ups into wind turbines. Get his legs to start working hard like a machanical beings that can subconciously fight against the resistance of deeper water, which in turn would make them harder to stop in a tackle.*

Even doing yoga might help. Moderate his breathing and mental state.*

All in all, just keep him away from other players for a while to focus on him. Make him feel confident in himself again. Transform his mentality into being an alpha. We need him cocky. We need him running out onto the paddock determined to prove he's the biggest and strongest no matter what! To defend his honor and reputation. Turn him into a warea-hargraves who will always dominate a field and prove he's the bigger and better man.*

Just close your eyes and picture it........................ martin kennedy, walking down the tunnell at suncorp Stadium, 10 on his back, ready to go out and inforce pure energy and strength. The ultimate brute. Hercules.... The look of sheer focus in his eyes. The jersy is his life force, and he will defend it.. He's a bronco.. And no one will ever ride him

I agree 100% with you there Marty.

Kennedy will really need to lift next year if we're to be a threat.

So will the other props too.... we have to dominate the middle third to let Hunt/Milford/Barba do their thing.

..i cannot fault anyone one here with their assesments on Kennedy, there is a hell of a front rower buried somewhere in there im sure...

IIRC, Bennett realy helped Wendell Sailors development by putting him in the second row for a year (cannot remember which year though?), and it certainly didnt impede his development as a winger at all?

I guess what im saying here is that Wayne Bennett has a lot of tricks up his sleeve to get into players heads and turn them around, Kennedy may yet turn out to be his best yet?

1995 I believe Sailor played second row, same season Lockyer made his debut, there's footage of sailor in headgear cutting the magpies to shreds and a superb offload to Lockyer to score in one of Darren's first match on youtube

Last edited:
1995 I believe Sailor played second row, same season Lockyer made his debut, there's footage of sailor in headgear cutting the magpies to shreds and a superb offload to Lockyer to score in one of Darren's first match on youtube

Great memory GC; i think i remember that game too, i was still living the high life on the Gold Coast on Monaco Street while working at Jupiters.....

Lockyers first game in the run on side was against West or the Tigers wasnt it..?...such a long time ago now..?

Parramatta actually because I remember it being a typical sleepathon by the boys in the first half and the eels were up 14-6 at halftime Bennett must have had some choice words halftime cause we put on 54 points unanswered!

Parramatta actually because I remember it being a typical sleepathon by the boys in the first half and the eels were up 14-6 at halftime Bennett must have had some choice words halftime cause we put on 54 points unanswered!

That was a great game, i have never seen anything like it since either..?!!!

Remember the "Baby Broncos" that were coached by Craig Bellamy, then assistant coach to Wayne Bennett. Bellamy took the reins when Wayne was away on Origin duty, and i remember a game against Balmain or Wests that Bellamy was in chanrge off and we brought a large number of up and comers down there, and thats where i thought Lockyer made his first grade debut from the bench..?

Maybe im getting too old..?

Ignore the claims of the video it's not Lockyer's debut

Watch from about 8 minutes in for the Parramatta eels game

Last edited by a moderator:
Wayne Bennett is proving all the haters wrong if you ask me, he hasn't yet made a poor choice since signing with the Broncos.

* Finishing his tenure at the Knights well, ending on a good winning run
* Improving our Coaching Staff, whilst keeping valuable assets around, like Alex Corvo
* Scrapping the Co-Captains
* Signing Kevin Walters as Assistant Coach
* Acquiring cheap depth for the two positions that need it (Hooker, Prop) (Waddell, Gavet)
* Telling Milford early that he's going to be playing Five-Eighth, so he has time to prepare mentally
* Not overpaying for an ageing Hannant
* Giving Hoffman permission to explore other options, whilst leaving the door open for him to stay and play on the wing

Wayne Bennett is proving all the haters wrong if you ask me, he hasn't yet made a poor choice since signing with the Broncos.

* Finishing his tenure at the Knights well, ending on a good winning run
* Improving our Coaching Staff, whilst keeping valuable assets around, like Alex Corvo
* Scrapping the Co-Captains
* Signing Kevin Walters as Assistant Coach
* Acquiring cheap depth for the two positions that need it (Hooker, Prop) (Waddell, Gavet)
* Telling Milford early that he's going to be playing Five-Eighth, so he has time to prepare mentally
* Not overpaying for an ageing Hannant
* Giving Hoffman permission to explore other options, whilst leaving the door open for him to stay and play on the wing

Keeping Kearney on coaching staff ... from memory nearly everyone on here wanted him sacked, but since Bennett wants to keep him i'm assuming some of you have instantly changed your opinion on the matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Gaz
  • Dash
  • Broncorob
  • spanky
  • Sproj
  • Dexter
  • Galah
  • Pablo
  • Brocko
  • theshed
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Skyblues87
  • Justwin
  • Xzei
  • Donald Garner
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.