The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keeping Kearney on coaching staff ... from memory nearly everyone on here wanted him sacked, but since Bennett wants to keep him i'm assuming some of you have instantly changed your opinion on the matter

Kearney has already done his job, James Gavet is a kiwi, I'm sure it would've been in the discussion with his management that we currently employ the New Zealand national coach, and if he impresses at club level, it could transition into representative honours.

Only real reason I can imagine for keeping him around, pulling power.

Keeping Kearney on coaching staff ... from memory nearly everyone on here wanted him sacked, but since Bennett wants to keep him i'm assuming some of you have instantly changed your opinion on the matter

What will Kearneys job description at the Broncos be? Other than talking to Kiwis about playing for us whilst in New Zealand camps.

Kearney has already done his job, James Gavet is a kiwi, I'm sure it would've been in the discussion with his management that we currently employ the New Zealand national coach, and if he impresses at club level, it could transition into representative honours.

Only real reason I can imagine for keeping him around, pulling power.

you guys can't have it both ways ... many have been praising Bennett for signing Gavet (who i don't know a whole lot about, so i'm not sure if it was a good signing).

so who was responsible for his signing Bennett or Kearney?

you guys can't have it both ways ... many have been praising Bennett for signing Gavet (who i don't know a whole lot about, so i'm not sure if it was a good signing).

so who was responsible for his signing Bennett or Kearney?

r u dum m9?

Bennett signed him, but I have no doubt that he would've used Kearney's names in discussions with him / his management.

What will Kearneys job description at the Broncos be? Other than talking to Kiwis about playing for us whilst in New Zealand camps.

you can't seriously tell me that Bennett will keep someone on staff just because he may be able to convince a few kiwi internationals to play for us. which i can't recall him luring a single one yet.

or are you admitting that Bennett no longer has the pulling power he once did. because in past years he never needed someone on staff because they could lure players he couldn't

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if he's moved to a different role or given the flick altogether.. if he really was in charge of defence then he has no business in that capacity next year.

you can't seriously tell me that Bennett will keep someone on staff just because he may be able to convince a few kiwi internationals to play for us. which i can't recall him luring a single one yet.

or are you admitting that Bennett no longer has the pulling power he once did. because in past years he never needed someone on staff because they could lure players he couldn't

It's a slight factor. The other half of my post was a question in which I am not sure of the answer. You understand the use of a question mark, right?

or are you admitting that Bennett no longer has the pulling power he once did.

So what you're saying is.. if Bennett said to Gavet during contract discussions "We currently employ the New Zealand national coach, Stephen Kearney, if you play well for the Broncos, you'll be in a prime position for national selection", or something of that nature.. that he no longer has any pulling power in regards to free agents?

You've actually been blinded by your unexplainable hatred towards Bennett and Boyd :lol:

So what you're saying is.. if Bennett said to Gavet during contract discussions "We currently employ the New Zealand national coach, Stephen Kearney, if you play well for the Broncos, you'll be in a prime position for national selection", or something of that nature.. that he no longer has any pulling power in regards to free agents?

You've actually been blinded by your unexplainable hatred towards Bennett and Boyd :lol:

If he did have to say that, then he had lost some of his pulling power, because he never would have had to say that in the past to get a player he wanted.

Besides who doesn't know that the NZ national is on the Broncos coaching staff.

This conversation with a brick wall is turning out as I expected, I'm going to stop now.

It's still extremely early days.

Unbreakable raised a lot of good points, but also drew a few long bows that were essentially low hanging fruits for anybody with an axe to grind.

If it was me, I wouldn't have bothered defending Kearney. Nobody around here knows what his role is at the club, but most if not all wanted him gone due to his first season coinciding with our worst defensive record in sometime. Nobody knows what his role would be moving forward, I wouldn't have taken the bait and would have just stuck on my guns with Kevie and the retention of Corvo.

Wouldn't necessarily call the decisions made around Waddell or Hannant good yet, either.

Waddell is the worst "regular" hooker in the game.

Wouldn't necessarily call the decisions made around Waddell or Hannant good yet, either.

Waddell is the worst "regular" hooker in the game.

Waddell is most certainly classifiable as an average first grader, but regardless, he's the best off-contract Hooker available, excluding maybe Srama, who I presume will be staying with the Titans, and we desperately needed a back-up after Granville departed.

It's all well and good having some decent hookers in NYC & ISC, but having a back-up hooker with first grade experience is invaluable, and we'll be counting our lucky stars that we have him if McCullough goes down for a prolonged period next season.

If we wanted a hooker with NRL experience we could have just signed Nafe Seluini, Matt Keating or Alehana Mara from the ISC.

All I'm saying is that the jury is out on signing Waddell.

Wayne Bennett is proving all the haters wrong if you ask me, he hasn't yet made a poor choice since signing with the Broncos.

* Finishing his tenure at the Knights well, ending on a good winning run
* Improving our Coaching Staff, whilst keeping valuable assets around, like Alex Corvo
* Scrapping the Co-Captains
* Signing Kevin Walters as Assistant Coach
* Acquiring cheap depth for the two positions that need it (Hooker, Prop) (Waddell, Gavet)
* Telling Milford early that he's going to be playing Five-Eighth, so he has time to prepare mentally
* Not overpaying for an ageing Hannant
* Giving Hoffman permission to explore other options, whilst leaving the door open for him to stay and play on the wing
In general, I like the direction WB is taking, but I can't agree with some of those points, while others are too early to tell.

- I'll ignore the first one, since it has nothing to do with the Broncos.
- Improving our coaching staff? Keeping Corvo is certainly a good thing, while Kevin Walters is really a question mark imo... but keeping Kearney? Come on!
- Agree that scrapping the co-captains is a good thing. Curious as to whom he will choose...
- Gavet is an acquisition I definitely like, and WB is certainly the right guy to get most out of him. Wadell... there wasn't really anything on the market, but I'm not sure he should even be called depth.
- Giving Milford not only time to prepare, but also ease his mind about having time to solidify his game in the position and gel with his team mates is excellent stuff.
- Hannant is a question mark, depends very much on what overpaying means... as I do believe he's worth more than the reported $100K. I have however, no issues with the choices made for the forwards though, as that is certainly something I completely trust Wayne with.
- Hoffman was always going to get permission to explore other options. The only reason he wasn't allowed last season is because Milford didn't come immediately.

IMO, we now have a very capable roster, and we should certainly be capable of filling any gaps with the youth coming through. I just hope Parcell trumps Wadell in the relief hooker stakes.

I'll venture a very early team:

1- Barba
2- Vidot (slimmed down a bit as he said he preferred himself)
3- Copley
4- Hodges
5- Hoffman/Kahu
6- Milford
7- Hunt
8- McGuire
9- McCullough
10- Kennedy
11- Gillett (I think he'd thrive on the left next to Milford)
12- Thaiday
13- Parker

14- Glenn
15- Oates
16- Gavet/Garbutt
17- Dodds/Molo/etc...

If we wanted a hooker with NRL experience we could have just signed Nafe Seluini, Matt Keating or Alehana Mara from the ISC.

All I'm saying is that the jury is out on signing Waddell.

I haven't heard of two of them and Keating is rubbish.. So once again, Wayne didn't have a lot to work with on the free agent side of things, why not bring someone familiar with his system, Queensland born, with blood ties to Hoffman & Gagai.

The jury is most certainly out on Waddell's playing ability, but I think given the circumstances and lack of good Hookers around, the signing can't really be questioned that much (at this stage).

I'll eat my words if he comes here and has off-field incidences and plays like utter shit :lol:

Pick your battles, Unbreakable.

Plenty of strawmans in your argument but I'm not going to be petty and pick at each one because it's neither here nor there with me. Just pointing out that the signing of Waddell isn't something we're all unanimously celebrating.

Even further, it's still really early days so don't jinx it otherwise we'll end up with Darius Boyd at five eighth.

Then most of us will all be like...

You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

Still speaking for everyone are you foordy? Glad to see nothing's changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• theshed
  • Bish
  • broncos4life
  • Xzei
  • kman
  • Totally Unr3al
  • jd87
  • mrtij
  • bb_gun
  • The True King
  • BRC088
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.