The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam Burgess could have been a Bronco.

But Wayne didn't want him.

Bad decision, IMO.

Burgess would have been a perfect addition to our forward pack.

Last edited:
Bennett's brother in law Phil Veivers was apart of the Bradford Bulls when Sam first hit the scene and he told Wayne that the kid was going to special.

Wayne chose not to pursue and years later, Rusty was able to get his man.

how often does someone tell someone else that 'this kid is going to be someone special'.

It's not a bombshell by any means, but interesting to note he was on the radar to some degree.

Adds more fuel to the fire after that photo of Sam in a Broncos jersey emerged.

how often does someone tell someone else that 'this kid is going to be someone special'.

The majority of people that watched him play knew he was going to be something special.

He was always highly competitive. And IMO, those are the kind of players you take a risk in.

However, he was always a little dirty and perhaps that's one of the reasons why Wayne decided not to pursue him.

Last edited:
From the sounds of it, there were some concerns around injuries. Sam had shoulder problems due to playing something like 80 games for his school and club prior to going pro.

From the sounds of it, there were some concerns around injuries. Sam had shoulder problems due to playing something like 80 games for his school and club prior to going pro.

Because he was in high school for 8 years, right? :P

I think Bennett brought up enough superstars to be able to miss a few and not cop any negativity about it.

Last edited:
Not sure where to put this, this'll do.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t-to-rugby-union/story-fnp0m105-1227096615113

Hunt was unhappy at the Broncos when he left for the Suns at the end of the 2009 season.

With Ivan Henjak as coach, Hunt felt the club’s illustrious standards were slipping.

The Broncos results continued to head south under Anthony Griffin and the appeal of resurrecting the club’s glamour status tempted Hunt to move back to Red Hill.

“There were a few factors that pushed me out and ticked me off,” Hunt said of his code switch.

“Going back to the Broncos was going to be a decision based around helping my old club out.

“At the time they weren’t going so great and I thought about going back to help out and try to get them back on track.

“Their recruitment was … I don’t know. They have gone and picked players from left, right and centre and it just didn’t manage to work out.

“I met up with Locky quite a few times and talked about going back there.

“He has an apartment at Burleigh so we caught up a number of times and the conversations were about trying to get me to go back there.

“This (signing with the Reds) is a decision for what I want to do in the future and I’m not joining for someone else like I would have been with the Broncos.

“It all worked out to be perfect. The Broncos deal fell over and the Reds were able to get me here.

“Now Wayne’s (Bennett) there and if anyone turns it around it will be him. They have some really good talent coming through.

“I always thought that rugby would be my next adventure because I have never played the game for Australia.”

Man, Henjak really fucked us, we would probably have K.Hunt & Inglis on our roster today if it wasn't for him.

Last edited:
Was about to post it in the rumour thread, but this is fine here.

That comment about signing players from left right and centre is really interesting. I remember the first season he took charge there was a high turn-over of players and that it really affected the Broncos and made them wildly inconsistent. It seemed as if Griffin's patience was a way to get things 'back on track' and not go as far as Henjak did - although we'll never know if his vision would have been successful. His approach seemed to be a 'short term pain for long term gain'.

This also confirms every reason why I don't want K back at the club.

Was about to post it in the rumour thread, but this is fine here.

That comment about signing players from left right and centre is really interesting. I remember the first season he took charge there was a high turn-over of players and that it really affected the Broncos and made them wildly inconsistent. It seemed as if Griffin's patience was a way to get things 'back on track' and not go as far as Henjak did - although we'll never know if his vision would have been successful. His approach seemed to be a 'short term pain for long term gain'.

This also confirms every reason why I don't want K back at the club.

Same here.

He comes across as a selfish prick who feels he's owed something from the Broncos, and only has thoughts about himself.

Don't need...don't want.

Didn't he once say he only played league because people told him he was best suited to it?

He always dreamed of playing in the NBA but since that was an utter pipe dream being a mercenary for the highest bidder seemed the closest thing possible. At least Folau has the excuse of being lead by the leash of the Mormon church.

Didn't he once say he only played league because people told him he was best suited to it?

He always dreamed of playing in the NBA but since that was an utter pipe dream being a mercenary for the highest bidder seemed the closest thing possible. At least Folau has the excuse of being lead by the leash of the Mormon church.

Folau isn't even a Mormon, he used to be, but now he attends Hillsong Church.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Gaz
  • Robboi_321
  • The True King
  • Justwin
  • Culhwch
  • Financeguy
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.