The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we wanted a hooker with NRL experience we could have just signed Nafe Seluini, Matt Keating or Alehana Mara from the ISC.

All I'm saying is that the jury is out on signing Waddell.

Waddell is shit but he is better than Keating

My point was that NRL experience doesn't count for much if you're mediocre.

Wayne Bennett is proving all the haters wrong if you ask me, he hasn't yet made a poor choice since signing with the Broncos.

* Finishing his tenure at the Knights well, ending on a good winning run
* Improving our Coaching Staff, whilst keeping valuable assets around, like Alex Corvo
* Scrapping the Co-Captains
* Signing Kevin Walters as Assistant Coach
* Acquiring cheap depth for the two positions that need it (Hooker, Prop) (Waddell, Gavet)
* Telling Milford early that he's going to be playing Five-Eighth, so he has time to prepare mentally
* Not overpaying for an ageing Hannant
* Giving Hoffman permission to explore other options, whilst leaving the door open for him to stay and play on the wing

That's a lot of speculation- How do you count someone as a good/improved/valuable signing in October- coaching or playing?

Parramatta actually because I remember it being a typical sleepathon by the boys in the first half and the eels were up 14-6 at halftime Bennett must have had some choice words halftime cause we put on 54 points unanswered!

He came off the bench against the Eels.

Still speaking for everyone are you foordy? Glad to see nothing's changed

Show me one post that states Kearney should remain on our staff.

Besides I said NEARLY everyone. Not even every single person (although I could have said that and I doubt you would be able to find a post on here to prove me wrong)

:witchhunt::witchhunt: ARRRGH Kearny
As BP has said ,Does anyone actually know what his role and resposibilites are, He is obviously held in high regard by those that matter. I know that BHQ was looking for a patsy when things weren't going well defensively, but was the Kearny hate actually based on anything factual?

So far on paper Bennet has made some seemingly exciting decisions and a few decisions that deserve indifference at worst.

Waddell being signed will at best be a dependable cover for Macca and worst do nothing. It won't effect our season it salary cap in any meaningful negative way.
(Now watch as Macca gets injured the week leading into the GF and Waddell single handed losing us the game haha)

As BP has said ,Does anyone actually know what his role and resposibilites are, He is obviously held in high regard by those that matter. I know that BHQ was looking for a patsy when things weren't going well defensively, but was the Kearny hate actually based on anything factual?

No, it isn't.

Fact is that it is very hard or near impossible to attribute a percentage of contribution to success or failure unless you're in a football club.

I think we are judging WB's choice to sign Waddell too harshly. He is average however he has decent experience plus he would be cheap, he had no where else to go and he wanted to come home to QLD. in my opinion no harm done we have a back up he gets some job security for another year, win win plus we have the hooker from the jets as well

People like to forget facts ... Bennett has in the past played players like Scott, Stagg, Smith, Carroll, Costigan, Prior etc in the centers... all second rowers FTR... with the exception of maybe Smith, not one of them can genuinely be called an attacking center.

they have all been selected there on there defence alone.

A little fact that you're forgetting is that Reed began his NRL career as a center and barring the odd game at wing or on the bench has largely stayed there regardless of form or what's best for the team. Darren Smith was a revelation at center and a try scoring machine. Carroll had a bit of size and speed and wasn't afraid to use it. The 2014 version of Stagg is very different to what he was like circa 2006. I agree he was not an attacking center but we had a lot more strike power in the side then.

and that wasn't necessarily wrong, but you also have to assume based on PAST EVENTS, that Reed is a good chance to play plenty of games as a starting center for us under Bennett's tenure, because he is a defence oriented center (not an attacking one).

I'm not saying he will definately be selected to start the year as center, but he is definately in with a very good chance, because he is exactly the type of center Bennett likes. the hard working, defensive type. Copley and Hodges are certain starters in our 2015 backline, but their positions are anyones guess.

But if you guys want to keep looking at Bennett through rose coloured glass, believing he can do no wrong, then be my guest.

I agree with a lot of this. Am loving Big Pete's idea that he'll be selected to help Milford out defensively.

one other fact you guys should remember, ever since Griffin became an NRL head coach, his winning record is superior to Bennetts.... i know i know, none of that was Bennetts fault. and before you start with me about loving Griffin (because i know its about to come) I wanted Griffin sacked and am glad he is no longer our coach.

Really Foordy? Really? You're going to play that card. How many wins are we talking here? A handful? Hardly what I'd call superior. I think the point you're trying to make (correct me if I'm wrong) is that we needed a change of coach but Bennett may not be the answer - that's the way I interpreted that last bit. That's fair enough but a comparison of their winning records to prop up one side is a bit like the Barba/Boyd debate and relying on their 2014 form - they were both ordinary and both sides of the debate need to admit that.

I do agree that too many (weak) excuses get tossed around for Bennett's tenure at the Knights and the fact is both teams should have done better the last three years. Surely as the incoming coach Bennett deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

He runs the water

Gagai can't tackle to save his life yet still kept getting picked at centre for the knights under Bennett. I don't mind old mate reedy in attack, can throw a good offload and is always chasing kicks sniffing for chances. Just needs a bit more pace

Gagai can't tackle to save his life yet still kept getting picked at centre for the knights under Bennett. I don't mind old mate reedy in attack, can throw a good offload and is always chasing kicks sniffing for chances. Just needs a bit more pace

Looked a lot faster than usual towards the end of the season. It scares me still when he backs himself one-on-one vs the fullback. He hasn't been caught yet, and it shows he has confidence in his ability, but it's an unnecessary worry imo when he has support players. I'm not a Reed hater, and he does a solid, if not good, job, but we really need some young quick versions of Hodgo or an Oates there to truly threaten other teams and the title. Reed just doesn't have that extra level to go.

Of course any ineffectiveness of any players might be fixed with a tweaked game plan, an actual ball-playing half to go with Hunt and that good ol' Bennett self-belief he instills in his players

Sam Burgess could have been a Bronco.

But Wayne didn't want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Ghost of Vlansys
  • Skyblues87
  • theshed
  • Lurker
  • broncos4life
  • Xzei
  • Bish
  • kman
  • Totally Unr3al
  • jd87
  • mrtij
  • bb_gun
  • The True King
  • BRC088
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.