Costigan
Roberts
Cuthbertson
Rochow
Gagai
Leilua
Smith

Re: [RUMOUR] Ben Barba to Cronulla

If Bennett is trying to get rid of him, or at least not play him in the spine then obviously Bennett doesn't think he can get the best out of him. So all this talk of we need to give him time for bennett to work his magic is kind of redundant

Given the talent seen from Barba in the past, it's obvious it is there and if Bennett still has the ability to get the most out of a player we need to see it used on Barba in the spine. Instead it does appear like regardless of talent or potential Barba may leave the club to make way for Bennetts golden child.

Given the talent seen from Barba in the past, it's obvious it is there and if Bennett still has the ability to get the most out of a player we need to see it used on Barba in the spine. Instead it does appear like regardless of talent or potential Barba may leave the club to make way for Bennetts golden child.

Oh..i missed it...Barba has been offloaded to sign Boyd. Didn't realise that it was official, stupid Broncos. They are mad to go with their inside knowledge, close understanding of the players involved and the collective wisdom of old respected rugby league coaches and staff. They should instead do what the totally uninformed internet whizz kids suggest.

1. Barba + 6. Milford > 1. Boyd + 6. Milford

Barba has a huge upside, is an exciting player to watch, and has a massive "multiplier effect" when the team is playing well. Crowds want to see Barba play. Kids want to be Barba. He's laughing when the clubs going well, he plays on confidence.

Nobody wants to watch Boyd play.

The semi when Hodges was going off, Barba was right there.

You can't have the talent inside of you to be as devastating as Barba was in 2012 and not be able to replicate it. It wasn't a fluke. A full off-season under his belt, lose some weight, get his pace back, a proper 5/8, some fucking confidence instilled in him by the coach and Barba can be huge.

Jarryd Hayne had only glimpses of brilliance between 2009 and 2014. 5 years between god-like seasons. We turf Barba after 2.

Couldn't agree more. This is exactly my thoughts. Barba, is and will be a great player again. I seriously hope it is at the Broncos though. I would hate to lose him, and watch him go to a team with decent halves and a coach who can involve him into their attack, only to reach the heights of 2012.

The issue this year was Barba moving to a new club, a new city, adapting to a new structure, his injury concerns during last year/the off season and his own personal issues all coupled with Griffin's bulking regime. No wonder Barba was struggling. Put him back to his ideal playing weight, he'll feel confident in himself and he'll back himself and we'll all see Barba once again dominating teams single-handedly.

People seem to forget, that despite 2012 being his 'best' year, 2011 was also his breakout year. He finished the year as top try scorer. Even 2013, coming back from his own troubles, he strung together some really good games for the Dogs. You can't manage that by fluke. Despite being an x factor type player, he has done it with consistency, unlike Hayne, who has had seasons of pure excitement, and then nothing for 5 years.

Des Hasler was able to create a gameplan around him by involving him in attack, directing his halves (who aren't even close to being quality halves in Keating and Reynolds) to provide him quick, clean, early ball. This is something we failed to do this year. Not once did we involve Barba and allow him space to weave his magic. That has to be a coaching issue.

Despite being down on form, we all witnessed some promising signs, that things would turn. I firmly believe, if Bennett keeps, him, he should play fullback, and he'll once again regain top form. He has class, natural instinct and is a proven match winner. He has the x factor that we've lacked for a very very long time.

Oh..i missed it...Barba has been offloaded to sign Boyd. Didn't realise that it was official, stupid Broncos. They are mad to go with their inside knowledge, close understanding of the players involved and the collective wisdom of old respected rugby league coaches and staff. They should instead do what the totally uninformed internet whizz kids suggest.

Notice the words 'appear' and 'may' not once did I say it's official so pull that one back first, second it's a forum based on opinions and discussions. if the best you can do is react with an angry post that adds nothing to the topic at hand maybe log out for awhile and come back later.

As a fan who was excited to see where the club would go in the future, it sucks to see we failed without Bennett and the club is going back to the safety zone. It's also disappointing that the combination Barba started to form with the rest of the squad in the second half of last season appears to amount to nothing.

It's ok to have an opinion that doesn't match that of the club and it's ok to voice it.

Notice the words 'appear' and 'may' not once did I say it's official so pull that one back first, second it's a forum based on opinions and discussions. if the best you can do is react with an angry post that adds nothing to the topic at hand maybe log out for awhile and come back later.

As a fan who was excited to see where the club would go in the future, it sucks to see we failed without Bennett and the club is going back to the safety zone. It's also disappointing that the combination Barba started to form with the rest of the squad in the second half of last season appears to amount to nothing.

It's ok to have an opinion that doesn't match that of the club and it's ok to voice it.

Absolutely it is, just like it is ok to think that the club might finally be wanting to compete for a premiership and not just tread water with the overpaid/underperforming players.

It's ok to think that signing one of the most successful coaches in RL history who also happens to be the foundations of this club is a better idea then taking another punt on another rookie coach.

It's ok to think that this coach has a plan and can identify talent that is either there or not there and doesn't need to have his credentials questioned because he prefers solid players than ones that will produce five minutes of highlight reel and then do nothing for the rest of a season.

We are all allowed our opinions and just because our opinions agree with the clubs doesn't meant hey should be dismissed in the same way that people against the club's shouldn't be dismissed

Couldn't like your post enough [MENTION=8440]bazza[/MENTION]. Completely agree with you!

I hope the rumours are just that... rumours, and that Barba will be at the pre-season and return to his best.
Surely Bennett won't put his relationship with Boyd ahead of the team's interests.

There comes a point when you need to let go of the past and move on, if it means you go through a few coaches trying to find it so be it because at this point we are in a stop gap solution, Bennett will be gone again and there is no guarantee that we won't be back to the Henjak era once he does. What hiring WB says to me is the club need to to make things look good from the outside while they work it out on the inside which I guess is understandable, however while Bennett will go down as one of the greatest coaches in league. He is not up there with the best in the game right now and his recent history leaves me concerned about where the club will be at the end of his second era.

He attempted to sign a bloke out of jail, something that fans in the past would never have accepted and neither would he. Not during our glory days run when he was last year. The other guy he wants to sign has so many personal issues it does impact his playing ability to the point where he just stopped playing all together for Newcastle this year. These are moves that I don't think the glory days WB would have done, he was a guy who took slightly troubled players (like Barba) and got the best out them on and off the field not train wrecks who stop playing for their club or wind up prison.

Fans on here and other sources have asked where the clubs great culture was, the above moves have me questioning if it will return under Bennett or if once it gets hard here he will walk out on us for a better offer.

Surely Bennett won't put his relationship with Boyd ahead of the team's interests.
Bennett has already made it abundantly clear that he thinks that Boyd at fullback is in the team's best interests.

He's painfully and obviously wrong, but that seems to be what he genuinely thinks, clouded judgement or not.

There comes a point when you need to let go of the past and move on, if it means you go through a few coaches trying to find it so be it because at this point we are in a stop gap solution, Bennett will be gone again and there is no guarantee that we won't be back to the Henjak era once he does. What hiring WB says to me is the club need to to make things look good from the outside while they work it out on the inside which I guess is understandable, however while Bennett will go down as one of the greatest coaches in league. He is not up there with the best in the game right now and his recent history leaves me concerned about where the club will be at the end of his second era.

He attempted to sign a bloke out of jail, something that fans in the past would never have accepted and neither would he. Not during our glory days run when he was last year. The other guy he wants to sign has so many personal issues it does impact his playing ability to the point where he just stopped playing all together for Newcastle this year. These are moves that I don't think the glory days WB would have done, he was a guy who took slightly troubled players (like Barba) and got the best out them on and off the field not train wrecks who stop playing for their club or wind up prison.

Fans on here and other sources have asked where the clubs great culture was, the above moves have me questioning if it will return under Bennett or if once it gets hard here he will walk out on us for a better offer.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info from. In the past we have signed players that have been in jail. You are concerned about Boyd's 'personal issues' yet have no problems with barbas 'personal issues'? Heaven forbid we sign someone that has sought help for depression, what are the broncos coming to? What a train wreck.

Seeking help for depression = bad
Having alcohol/gambling problems and your partner somehow ending up with a busted face = good.

And that's the lesson for today

Bennett has already made it abundantly clear that he thinks that Boyd at fullback is in the team's best interests.

He's painfully and obviously wrong, but that seems to be what he genuinely thinks, clouded judgement or not.
Yes, he did say that, and I think his judgement is clouded by his relationship with Darius.
The best outcome is his hand being forced by having to work with Barba, and not being able to get Boyd here. In 2016, Boyd's contract at the Knights will be finished, and he can always come here at a more reasonable price in case Bennett cannot get the best out of Barba.

In fairness, other than the Boyd/Russell affair (and the way Hook was sacked/replaced), I have no problem with the steps Wayne is taking and what his plans are.

Although his stint at the Knights indicates he may not be as sharp as he once was, he's still one of the best coaches around, and I'm convinced we're better off with him than we were with Hook. I just hope he will have a proper succession plan in place, and we don't go down to Henjak's heights once he retires...

I'm not sure where you are getting your info from. In the past we have signed players that have been in jail. You are concerned about Boyd's 'personal issues' yet have no problems with barbas 'personal issues'? Heaven forbid we sign someone that has sought help for depression, what are the broncos coming to? What a train wreck.

Having alcohol/gambling problems and your partner somehow ending up with a busted face = good.

Oh we've signed players WHILE still in prison in the past? Well never knew that, good to know we've always had low standard than. As for Barba Vs Boyd, one came to us as a way of getting over his issues and he did so while still attempting to give his all on the field. Boyd fair enough he got help and that's good but then not returning to the team and heading overseas for a holiday while his team fought to make the finals isn't on.

you're obvious sarcasm aside, no that's not the lesson today but feel free to stay in your defensive bubble and spit out one liners. You're the last person I want to debate with over any point, purely because every debate with you turns into one liners and sarcastic garbage.

Yes, he did say that, and I think his judgement is clouded by his relationship with Darius.
The best outcome is his hand being forced by having to work with Barba, and not being able to get Boyd here. In 2016, Boyd's contract at the Knights will be finished, and he can always come here at a more reasonable price in case Bennett cannot get the best out of Barba.

In fairness, other than the Boyd/Russell affair (and the way Hook was sacked/replaced), I have no problem with the steps Wayne is taking and what his plans are.

Although his stint at the Knights indicates he may not be as sharp as he once was, he's still one of the best coaches around, and I'm convinced we're better off with him than we were with Hook. I just hope he will have a proper succession plan in place, and we don't go down to Henjak's heights once he retires...

Well said mate.

In regards to some people's questions about succession playing and claiming we will be stuffed once he leaves. People need to remember that shit when down when he left the first time so there was no opportunity to plan for the future. Also, I would imagine once he finishes head coaching here he will move into a director of coaching type role

Gun post Port

On Boyd and the Knights, I'm pretty confident both sides are playing hard ball.....just waiting for the other side to blink. Bennett wants Boyd, but doesn't want to pay full price for him......or he can't. Either way, for Bennett to get Boyd, he needs the Knights to chip in a percentage of his contract for next year. Which at the moment they are refusing to do (and rightly so might I add). Which is IMO why Boyd was at that awards dinner talking about honouring his contract. It seems an attempt to pressure the Knights into relenting.

I find this to be one of the fairest and well balanced posts on the new WB era. Well done
The only thing I would add is he more than likely rejected or over looked Barba at the Broncos as a junior and his mind has not been changed

I find this to be one of the fairest and well balanced posts on the new WB era. Well done
The only thing I would add is he more than likely rejected or over looked Barba at the Broncos as a junior and his mind has not been changed

Out of interest how can you call something fair and well balanced when it only presents one side of an argument?

Joe Kilroy is the only player I know that we've signed that had been in jail

Who else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.