The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
one came to us as a way of getting over his issues and he did so while still attempting to give his all on the field.

Barba gave his all on the field this year then? Really? Really?

Gun post Port

On Boyd and the Knights, I'm pretty confident both sides are playing hard ball.....just waiting for the other side to blink. Bennett wants Boyd, but doesn't want to pay full price for him......or he can't. Either way, for Bennett to get Boyd, he needs the Knights to chip in a percentage of his contract for next year. Which at the moment they are refusing to do (and rightly so might I add). Which is IMO why Boyd was at that awards dinner talking about honouring his contract. It seems an attempt to pressure the Knights into relenting.

Perhaps Boyd, God forbid might actually mean what he said. Possibly he feels he owes the club and his team mates who have been understanding of the horrors of depression. As for chipping in I'd say Boyd is in a great bartering position should he desire to leave although I've not heard him say anything about leaving. Boyd merely has to tell Newcastle that staying in Newcastle may cause him to regress although, who can be sure. Create a little doubt but announce his intention to stay. That would cause Newcastle management to wonder about his value to the club at $600,000. He could say to them that privately he thinks it would be better to return to Brisbane but Brisbane are only offering $350,000. Newcastle in turn may think it's better to part with 250 rather than 600 for a problematic player.

There comes a point when you need to let go of the past and move on, if it means you go through a few coaches trying to find it so be it because at this point we are in a stop gap solution, Bennett will be gone again and there is no guarantee that we won't be back to the Henjak era once he does.
What hiring WB says to me is the club need to to make things look good from the outside while they work it out on the inside which I guess is understandable, however while Bennett will go down as one of the greatest coaches in league. He is not up there with the best in the game right now and his recent history leaves me concerned about where the club will be at the end of his second era.

He attempted to sign a bloke out of jail, something that fans in the past would never have accepted and neither would he. Not during our glory days run when he was last year. The other guy he wants to sign has so many personal issues it does impact his playing ability to the point where he just stopped playing all together for Newcastle this year. These are moves that I don't think the glory days WB would have done, he was a guy who took slightly troubled players (like Barba) and got the best out them on and off the field not train wrecks who stop playing for their club or wind up prison.

Fans on here and other sources have asked where the clubs great culture was, the above moves have me questioning if it will return under Bennett or if once it gets hard here he will walk out on us for a better offer.

Firstly, in life there are no guarantees. Further, those who don't learn from the mistakes of the past are certain to repeat them. Twice now we have chosen rookie coaches and twice we have failed under them. Your call to continue doing so seems ridiculous .

In your second paragraph you state that past fans would never have accepted WB signing a bloke out of jail, I ask how could you possibly know this ? Firstly as WB had never tried to and secondly ,how can you know the minds of other people and speak on their behalf ? You call Boyd a train wreck because he has suffered and sought help for depression. I ,like many others call him brave and well on the road to recovery simply by recognising the issue and seeking help. We had a guy like Boyd playing for us once, a troubled star player, an international but he suffered from depression too but sadly he didn't seek help. He later committed suicide.

In your last paragraph you ask where the great culture has gone. The solid foundation is still there but to continue the analogy there has been some subsidence . Who better to shore up the foundation than the man who laid it ? You may want a novice but I want a seasoned professional with a great track record. As for WB leaving when things get tough than you simply don't know much about him. Not to mention the man himself saying it is his last coaching job.

[/B]
Perhaps Boyd, God forbid might actually mean what he said. Possibly he feels he owes the club and his team mates who have been understanding of the horrors of depression.

Mate, I hope that's true. If for nobody's sake other than Boyd's. It would, IMO, show a progression in him dealing with his issues.

[/B]As for chipping in I'd say Boyd is in a great bartering position should he desire to leave although I've not heard him say anything about leaving. Boyd merely has to tell Newcastle that staying in Newcastle may cause him to regress although, who can be sure. Create a little doubt but announce his intention to stay. That would cause Newcastle management to wonder about his value to the club at $600,000. He could say to them that privately he thinks it would be better to return to Brisbane but Brisbane are only offering $350,000. Newcastle in turn may think it's better to part with 250 rather than 600 for a problematic player.

Exactly my point.

Out of interest how can you call something fair and well balanced when it only presents one side of an argument?
I cannot see where this post supports one side or the other. Previous posts from Charmamba yes

He has stated facts. We have not been able to move on from WB and as such have gone back to him as a stop gap for 3 years and hopefully get it right next time.
Do I believe WB was the best option at present, absolutely - do I believe we should have been able to move on without him, absolutely.
I hope they get it right next time but have deep reservations about either Walters or Kearney being the person so hope Hodges is more up to the task or they just buy a good coach. The problem with this is the new man understanding the Broncos culture and the pressure on the club to succeed

I cannot see where this post supports one side or the other. Previous posts from Charmamba yes

He has stated facts. We have not been able to move on from WB and as such have gone back to him as a stop gap for 3 years and hopefully get it right next time.
Do I believe WB was the best option at present, absolutely - do I believe we should have been able to move on without him, absolutely.
I hope they get it right next time but have deep reservations about either Walters or Kearney being the person so hope Hodges is more up to the task or they just buy a good coach. The problem with this is the new man understanding the Broncos culture and the pressure on the club to succeed

But he has only stated facts from one side of the argument. IMHO charmamba made some great points and it was a great post that they were for only one side. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that but it's the opposite of the word balanced. Now I'm not saying people need to post balanced arguments, I'm just wondering why you have called it that?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-sydney-roosters/story-fniabm4i-1227102076946

BRONCOS prop Martin Kennedy is set for a shock return to his former club the Sydney Roosters.
Kennedy will not be at the Broncos next year and with the Melbourne Storm pulling out of negotiations, it is now a race between the Roosters and Gold Coast Titans to sign him.
Kennedy has met with Roosters officials and his old club wants him back on their books next season. They have the cap space to do it following the retirement of Anthony Minichiello and Sonny Bill Williams’ return to rugby union.
077361-c87df2f8-5bfa-11e4-9c68-d403f5dcc36d.jpg

Martin Kennedy with the Broncos.

Kennedy was reluctant to discuss his future when contacted but said he was still unsure where he would be playing next year.
Kennedy left the Rosters at the end of their premiership-winning 2013 season. He was forced out of their line up in the back half of the year by Kiwi prop Sam Moa and felt he had greater opportunities in an NRL starting line-up at Brisbane.
The Broncos paid close to $400,000 for his signature, an offer the Roosters could not match.
Now the Broncos will have to pay out a portion of the final two years of his contract, meaning Kennedy could be a bargain buy for the Roosters.
Kennedy had an inconsistent year at the Broncos but played his best football in the last six weeks of Brisbane’s disappointing season.
He and Anthony Griffin fell out during the season but to his credit, Kennedy never complained about the now sacked coach.
After being dropped, Kennedy’s month playing for the Ipswich Jets re-invigorated his career as the Walker brothers, Ben and Shane, coached him to use football instincts again.
Kennedy’s departure will provide the best under-20s prop in Australia, Joe Ofahengaue, a chance to crack the NRL next season at the Broncos.
077464-e0d3635c-5c08-11e4-919b-767a5a42ab7c.jpg

Martin Kennedy is on the way out.

The Broncos will use Corey Parker as a full-time prop, with Josh McGuire, James Gavet, David Hala, Mitch Garbutt and Ofahengaue to round out their front-row rotation.
The Broncos are trying to get Ipswich prop Rod Griffin a pre-season training contract but second-tier cap issues are making it difficult.
Brisbane have signed livewire hooker Matt Parcell from the Jets.
Shane Walker, a former Broncos hooker, told Bennett that Parcell, 22, was the best player in Queensland without an NRL contract.
It appears Ben Barba will be transformed into a utility back so he can be the Broncos’ No.14 next season.
Barba appears likely to stay at Red Hill but the Broncos would consider releasing him if the right offer was made.
Josh Hoffman will make a decision on his future in the next two weeks.
His manager Paul Hogan met with Hoffman on Friday afternoon. He said there were still “three to four clubs” that were an option for the fullback.
Either the New Zealand Warriors or Gold Coast Titans appear Hoffman’s likely destination.
All of Brisbane’s salary cap wrangling is to get Newcastle’s Darius Boyd into their No.1 jersey.
There is a snag though, with Boyd’s wife Kayla wanting to stay in Newcastle.

Decent article until right up until the second last line then credibility went out the window. Kennedy leaving frees up 400 k so the Broncos only need to find 200 k ( if that ) So where's the need for the statement that all this 'wrangling' is for Boyd. Long before WB even came into contention Kennedy was for the chop in 2015 so Kennedys leaving is merely a happy coincidence for WB, not a underhanded or sneaky way to get Boyd on the books. Good news on the signings and hopefully Griffin gets his chance. I guess I'll have to live with Parker playing frontrow full time if indeed that is WBs plan and not the journos gut feeling.

It would be nice if journalists simply reported the news and let us decide what is happening behind the scenes. I don't mind opinion pieces but there should be some separation between news and opinion. Most people simply do not realize how much their thinking is influenced nor how easily that is accomplished. Mind you most won't ever read Chomsky either and will blunder on ,certain they made their own minds up.

Parker at prop is just opinion reported as fact, I don't think the journo would know what WB's plan is for the forwards already, it's very likely he hasn't even decided himself what he wants to do.

I'd say it's pretty likely that Parker is starting at prop next year unfortunately, especially if Kennedy goes.

8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Parker
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Gillett

Do we really have any better options? Ofahengaue may not be up to starting yet, Hala isn't, Gavet isn't and Garbutt probably isn't.

Watching them two games yesterday for the four nations the two players we should target next are
1. Taumalolo he was unstoppable
2. Mose Masoe he was an animal!
These two are the type of players our front pack need to succeed. Aggressive strong big!

So Bennett has got rid of Hannant and Kennedy only to replace them with James Gavet. I am more convinced than ever that Bennett has lost the plot.

I would rather keep Kennedy because he will become very handy around origin time and I think he will be an improved player next year.

I thought McGuire was sensational as lock for Samoa. I've changed my opinion. McGuire to lock, Parker to prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.