The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One guy has an Anti-Bennett boner and the other guy has a Bennett boner.

Very True. Yet I'm not making claims about what my mates say so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything that we are talking about?

Sign Mose Masoe Immediately... Every time he came on to the field he changed the momentum of the game. Imagine him and Gavet coming on together. That would be very, very intimidating. Plus he's a crowd favourite, and I bet his team mates love playing with him. Everyone in the team just lifts based off the back of his energy and enthusiasm.

100% this!

My mate is friends with parcell, he plays along side him lol. The walkers were telling Bennett to sign him because other teams were circling, and Bennett said that the others can have him. I have a feeling I said this on here a few weeks back too, after he told me.

Regardless, it's an interesting story.

Could care less if there is an ulterior motive involved. If Parcell guns it at hooker, that's the main thing.

That's a big if. Hopefully he steps it up in the off-season because I really don't want to see Waddell or Berrell next season.

Also worth noting that Bennett signed Waddell for 2 years, and has only signed parcell for 1. Feels like a "ok you twisted my arm, ill give him the smallest possible contract" signing to me.

Anyway, I just hope he gets a go and kills it so we see mccullogh shown the door.

I just think its a bit rich for people to say we won't give Bennett credit if he kills it lol. Why would Bennett get credit? He has literally had nothing to do with Parcell. He just took out the player of the year or whatever award it was, has people raving about him, and had numerous nrl teams trying to sign him......but if he goes well we have to credit Bennett for it?! Seriously?

Last edited:
Also worth noting that Bennett signed Waddell for 2 years, and has only signed parcell for 1. Feels like a "ok you twisted my arm, ill give him the smallest possible contract" signing to me.

Anyway, I just hope he gets a go and kills it so we see mccullogh shown the door.

I just think its a bit rich for people to say we wonr give Bennett credit if he kills it lol. Why would Bennett get credit? He has literally had nothing to do with Parcell. He just took out the player of the year or whatever award it was, has people raving about him, and had numerous nrl teams trying to sign him......but if he goes well we have to credit Bennett for it?! Seriously?

WB would still get some credit for listening to the advice. I mean, short contract or not we still signed him.

Also, didn't Capewell get player of the year? Let's not make it out to be too big a deal.

I hope Parcell does well because I'm underwhelmed by Macca. If he does WB will get some credit and rightly so.

To emphasise your point Ari, Luke Capewell actually won the Courier Mail player of the year - recognising him as the best player in the competition.

Parcell won the Jets player of the year - Luke Page who is a former Bronco, now with the Raiders was the Courier Mail Player of the Year.

While we're on the subject of hookers, I'll be interested to see what Bennett does with Jayden Nikorima. One of the biggest challenges next season will be deciding whether or not he can find a place for him in the team. No doubt a ton of clubs will be interested in his services, if they're not already.

Last edited:
Agreed completely Pete. Getting the most out of Jayden is going to be a far bigger measuring stick.

And whilst I don't want Boyd at all, I'll go on record as saying I'd rather Barba go as i prefer Jayden as our 14. Him and Ash Taylor are the ones Bennett really needs to get right. Along with Milford of course.

Jayden is not a hooker, has never been a hooker and I doubt he will ever become one, even though I'd love it if he did.
He was used as the backup in the U20's because after his return from surgery, he couldn't play 80 mins, but the coach still wanted to get him in the team. This came directly from Craig's mouth btw...

Ash Taylor will find it tough if Hunt has another belter of a season like the last one, and with Milford guaranteed the 6 for a while, there's not much room for him, unless he's willing to bide his time. Hopefully Hunt gets named for Origin, so we can see the kid's wares.

Both he and Jayden are under contract for another couple of seasons, but we soon might find ourselves in the opposite position of last season, with a wealth of choices for the spine and having to let a few go. Which is another reason why I don't want Boyd around... Wayne's choices will be tough enough without having him around to cloud his decision.

I still think Taylor is a pure-bred halfback, and even though Hunt totally surprised me this season, I still think he's more of a traditional 5/8, not a halfback, but with Milford there, we have a conundrum...

In an ideal world, I'd like to see these 4 players in the Broncos spine a couple of years from now:

- Ben Hunt
- Anthony Milford
- Jayden Nikorima
- Ashley Taylor

The question is in what combination, and the only way I can think of doing this is to put Hunt at hooker, Ash and Milf in the halves and Jayden at the back...

Fair enough if he did say it, I just didn't see it. All I'm saying is that it seems you are taking it as fact based on a poster that is rocking a 24/7 anti-Bennett boner saying "my mate said"
I'm not taking anything as fact. I don't take rumours too seriously, but combine AP's comments with the ones from 1910 a little while ago, and there's a lot of smoke...

I honestly hope most of the current rumours are untrue, because it would indicate that Bennett didn't come here with his mind already made up with pre-conceived ideas, instead of looking at what he has to work with, and make a decision based on that.

Jayden can play any position in the spine. I know that when he scored a try from dummy half against the Cowboys in that trial game at Wynnum the idea of him becoming a hooker was definitely brought forward as a consideration.

While his stint from the bench was just a way to find room in the team, I can tell you it did his NRL bid no harm as a potential bench utility. Right now, a lot of positions are up in the air for Bennett and I doubt Nikorima is at the fore-front but if things happen to go his way, I wouldn't be surprised to see him introduced in that fashion.

I wonder what is going to happen with Kodi Nikorima, whether he gets a go at fullback or goes to another club.

Yeah, he could possibly be introduced that way, but I can't see him becoming a hooker. He doesn't have the defensive ability or work rate for it, besides it would take him away from where he truly shines.

2015 is going to be a very interesting year for Jayden.

While Ash Taylor is secured until 2016, Jayden is off contract and has been linked with a number of different clubs for 2016.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport.../story-fniabm4i-1227002575009?from=public_rss

In general, I'm interested to see how Wayne handles the NYC boys who still qualify. I suspect we'll see a fair few in the ISC - Jayden could be one of them.

2015 is going to be a very interesting year for Jayden.

While Ash Taylor is secured until 2016, Jayden is off contract and has been linked with a number of different clubs for 2016.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport.../story-fniabm4i-1227002575009?from=public_rss

In general, I'm interested to see how Wayne handles the NYC boys who still qualify. I suspect we'll see a fair few in the ISC - Jayden could be one of them.

The way Jayden and Kodi almost manufactured a 30 point turnaround victory in that U/20 GF was pretty special.

The translation of those skills to NRL or ISC is hard to pick - whereas in ISC 1/3 half gaps turn into linebreaks/offloads, NRL is something more like 1/10, and the 9 failures are punished hardly.

Look. There's a lot of people around here talking about Taylor and the Nikorimas. Personally, I'm still nonplussed. Anyone can be a star in u20s. Corey Norman being one example.

I highly doubt that any of our u20 team have played a game against an experienced team of footballers.

As such I don't see why everyone is so keen to put them into first grade in such circumstances.

Taylor, the Nikorimas and anyone else who has talent in the u20 team ought to be playing ISC next year. Indeed, I think there is a case for taking our best u20 players (even if they qualify for u20s) and putting them into the ISC. The u20 player should see it as a promotion (the way reggies was always a promotion from colts or presidents cup).

If they perform at ISC level, then, and only then, do we look at them for first grade.

The point of my rant is that Barba and Boyd are proven first graders, Taylor and the Nikorimas are not even proven 'open grade' footballers. People on here need to remember that.

Ps not bagging Taylor and the Nikorimas, just the people who seem to think that we should be putting them into first grade immediately and that we ought to loose players to accommodate them

The way Jayden and Kodi almost manufactured a 30 point turnaround victory in that U/20 GF was pretty special.

The translation of those skills to NRL or ISC is hard to pick - whereas in ISC 1/3 half gaps turn into linebreaks/offloads, NRL is something more like 1/10, and the 9 failures are punished hardly.

I wasn't that impressed by that.

20/30 point turnarounds happen in u20 all the time. It's a stupid competition. It's like watching union or arena football.

If a team could defend in that comp they'd win every game.

I want to see our best u20 play ISC against grown ups.

Whilst i am a big Jayden fan I personally don't think Kodi is going to be any special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• scobie
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.