The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So because bennett signed a player who had been killing it already but who he had nothing at all to do with his development, if the player continues that form we should credit the guy who signed him on others recommendations?

pull the other one. I mean, Ari Gold suggested that Bennett should get credit for listening to the advice given to him lol. thats absurd.

although I've already seen this same situation thrown around for "if" Milford turns out to be a superstar lol.

Last edited:
Hope Molo gets a go next year I like the look of him.

So Bennett has got rid of Hannant and Kennedy only to replace them with James Gavet. I am more convinced than ever that Bennett has lost the plot.

Well Hannant and Kennedy did nothing this year and Gavet was pretty good when he on the field sooo I'm ok with this.

Yeah, I know what you're saying, but if Matt plays well, most credit should go first to the Walker brothers, and some to Bennett if he gets him to perform consistently at NRL level. Albeit, if Wayne didn't want him and he turns out to be a gun, he should also be criticised for it, even if he does get him to play well.
In the same way, if Parcell doesn't make it at NRL level, WB will be vindicated for not wanting him in the first place...

Wayne is good, very good even, but far from perfect. He has got it wrong with players before and he will undoubtedly again... comes with the territory!

And who coached the Walker brothers? BOOM! I'm kidding obviously.

So because bennett signed a player who had been killing it already but who he had nothing at all to do with his development, if the player continues that form we should credit the guy who signed him on others recommendations?

pull the other one. I mean, Ari Gold suggested that Bennett should get credit for listening to the advice given to him lol. thats absurd.

although I've already seen this same situation thrown around for "if" Milford turns out to be a superstar lol.

So let's not give the coach credit for buying a superstar? Well Michael Maguire deserves no credit for his 2014 premiership then.

Well done for posting a link to earlier in this thread. Without pointing out exactly which post you are talking about it's not very useful. I am assuming that you are referring to my post where I said that if Parcell goes well it is obviously a good signing, and Bennett like any coach that made a good signing should receive credit for making a good signing (I never said he should get credit for his development or anything like that).

What's your point?

Well done for posting a link to earlier in this thread. Without pointing out exactly which post you are talking about it's not very useful. I am assuming that you are referring to my post where I said that if Parcell goes well it is obviously a good signing, and Bennett like any coach that made a good signing should receive credit for making a good signing (I never said he should get credit for his development or anything like that).

What's your point?
In said post, you say Bennett should get credit for spotting Parcell, and I replied to that.
I liked 1910's post because it basically confirmed what I said (and AP) about Bennett not spotting anything or chasing Parcell's signing.
I also said that Bennett should get credit if he gets him to perform consistently at NRL level, but at this point, the credit should go to the Walker brothers, besides the player himself obviously.

So the point is that you probably should follow your own advice about reading things in context, before having a dig at someone...

So let's not give the coach credit for buying a superstar? Well Michael Maguire deserves no credit for his 2014 premiership then.
I don't give people credit for signing obviously good/great players, no.

In said post, you say Bennett should get credit for spotting Parcell, and I replied to that.
I liked 1910's post because it basically confirmed what I said (and AP) about Bennett not spotting anything or chasing Parcell's signing.
I also said that Bennett should get credit if he gets him to perform consistently at NRL level, but at this point, the credit should go to the Walker brothers, besides the player himself obviously.

So the point is that you probably should follow your own advice about reading things in context, before having a dig at someone...

But 1910's post was in relation to Parcell's development and he rightly said it should go to the Walker brothers. My point was that no one has claimed differently, all that has been said is that Bennett should receive credit (or criticism) for the signing, because he made the signing (this was in response to AP's mate saying that Bennett didn't want to sign him).

I have read things in context

But 1910's post was in relation to Parcell's development and he rightly said it should go to the Walker brothers. My point was that no one has claimed differently, all that has been said is that Bennett should receive credit (or criticism) for the signing, because he made the signing (this was in response to AP's mate saying that Bennett didn't want to sign him).

Bennett didnt want to sign him, he only did because of the Walkers' recommendation. That's why he only got a 1 year deal.
[MENTION=8272]1910[/MENTION], had you heard that Bennett didn't want to sign him initially too?

Last edited:
Yeah, not getting in between the anti and pro Bennett brigades...

So if you don't want something, but I convince you otherwise by showing you overwhelming evidence... you should get credit for getting it?

So if you don't want something, but I convince you otherwise by showing you overwhelming evidence... you should get credit for getting it?

When I see something concrete that Bennett didn't want anything to do with him but somehow had his arm twisted (which sounds very unlike Bennett, who does exactly what he wants) I will agree with you. Just for the record, what AP tells us his mate said isn't concrete.

If a coach signs a player he should receive whatever credit or criticism that comes along with that signing, it's as simple as that.

For instance, Michael Maguire has rightfully gotten credit for signing Lote Tuquri. No one is saying "Now hang on, no credit to Maguire on this decision, the only credit should go to the Broncos, ARU and the tigers"

Just for the record, what AP tells us his mate said isn't concrete.
Not concrete I guess, but the guy is mates with him and literally plays in the same team as him. He has no reason to lie. He actually likes Bennett as a coach because he's a great motivator, and the other stuff is just handed off to people who are better at it than him (tackling/attacking plays/tactics etc).

For instance, Michael Maguire has rightfully gotten credit for signing Lote Tuquri. No one is saying "Now hang on, no credit to Maguire on this decision, the only credit should go to the Broncos, ARU and the tigers"

Thats different. Tuqiri is a 35 year old has-been. Noone wanted him. He wanted to come home to Brisbane to play out his career and the Broncos didn't want him (but would give him match payments). McGuire signed him out of nowhere and got him playing some fantastic footy, footy he hadnt played for years. He wound back the clock towards the end of the season.

You give coaches credit for that - not for signing the rookie of the year.

Last edited:
Why do I bother... I forgot the sun shines out of Bennett's arse according to some people. :laugh:

Why do I bother... I forgot the sun shines out of Bennett's arse according to some people. :laugh:

This has nothing to do with Bennett. You have turned it into that because you have decided to turn all of the stuff pro-bennett people post into something related to that. I am trying to argue that coaches should receive some credit for identifying a signing.

What was the point of your post?

This has nothing to do with Bennett. You have turned it into that because you have decided to turn all of the stuff pro-bennett people post into something related to that. I am trying to argue that coaches should receive some credit for identifying a signing.

What was the point of your post?
Bennett didn't identify anything, he got Parcell hand-delivered in a neat bow, but yeah, it hasn't been confirmed by Wayne in person, so it mustn't be true...
In fairness, regardless of AP's known agenda against WB, I don't recall him telling porkies or inventing stories to back up his claims. 1910's words seem to back it up as well, so I'll believe them earlier than anything spouted in the media!

I absolutely agree that coaches should get credit for identifying and signing players. I credit Wayne for getting Gavet for example, and hope he will deliver what we want.

It's just that some people will tend to defend anything related to Wayne, regardless of what anyone else says or even evidence to the contrary.
I will credit him for what I think he does well, and criticise him for what he doesn't, all in my opinion of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Alec
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
  • Johnny92
  • Broncorob
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.