The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to argue that coaches should receive some credit for identifying a signing.
There's identifying someone worth signing, and then there's everyone telling you that this guy, who just won player of the year and has multiple NRL teams after him already, is going to be a star and that you should sign him before someone else does.

one deserves credit, the other doesn't. you should be able to figure out which is which.

If bennett really believed in Parcell he would've signed him for more than 1 year. again - he signed Waddell, a nuffy backup hooker who will never amount to anything in the NRL, for 2 years. Shows how much he wanted Parcell.

Bennett didn't identify anything, he got Parcell hand-delivered in a neat bow, but yeah, it hasn't been confirmed by Wayne in person, so it mustn't be true...
In fairness, regardless of AP's known agenda against WB, I don't recall him telling porkies or inventing stories to back up his claims. 1910's words seem to back it up as well, so I'll believe them earlier than anything spouted in the media!

I absolutely agree that coaches should get credit for identifying and signing players. I credit Wayne for getting Gavet for example, and hope he will deliver what we want.

It's just that some people will tend to defend anything related to Wayne, regardless of what anyone else says or even evidence to the contrary.
I will credit him for what I think he does well, and criticise him for what he doesn't, all in my opinion of course.

righto

Yeah exactly this. That is all anyone has said, but I guess it's more fun to come on and not read things in context... at the very least you will get a 'like' from Porthoz

That seems to be your default, and I still don't think you know what it means. If you read all the posts- you have the context.

When I see something concrete that Bennett didn't want anything to do with him but somehow had his arm twisted (which sounds very unlike Bennett, who does exactly what he wants) I will agree with you. Just for the record, what AP tells us his mate said isn't concrete.

If a coach signs a player he should receive whatever credit or criticism that comes along with that signing, it's as simple as that.

For instance, Michael Maguire has rightfully gotten credit for signing Lote Tuquri. No one is saying "Now hang on, no credit to Maguire on this decision, the only credit should go to the Broncos, ARU and the tigers"

So you think Bennett doesn't rely on others to give him tips or information? He must of been flying to Ipswich every week to see every Jets' game?

You don't think Ben and Shane who have known Bennett their whole life could have rung Bennett and really sold a player to him and convinced him he is worth a crack?

You don't think Bennett could say righto I'll give him a year contract and he can have an off-season with us.

Isn't that the point of feeder clubs?

Last edited:
So you think Bennett doesn't rely on others to give him tips or information? He must of been flying to Ipswich every week to see every Jets' game?

You don't think Ben and Shane who have known Bennett their whole life could have rung Bennett and really sold a player to him and convinced him he is worth a crack?

You don't think Bennett could say righto I'll give him a year contract and he can have an off-season with us.

Isn't that the point of feeder clubs?

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say here

That seems to be your default, and I still don't think you know what it means. If you read all the posts- you have the context.

I do know what it means and it's only my default when you do it, and you do it a lot

Bennett didn't identify anything, he got Parcell hand-delivered in a neat bow, but yeah, it hasn't been confirmed by Wayne in person, so it mustn't be true...
In fairness, regardless of AP's known agenda against WB, I don't recall him telling porkies or inventing stories to back up his claims. 1910's words seem to back it up as well, so I'll believe them earlier than anything spouted in the media!

I do know what it means and it's only my default when you do it, and you do it a lot

Rightly or wrongly, I don't think the line "I heard from a guy who knows a guy who works at the club" should be used for a tie break in an argument/discussion. For example, I could log in here and post that "I know a guy who knows that the moon landing was fake?!" or what about "I know a guy who knows a guy who knows where Blackbeard's treasure is buried." It's impossible to prove one way or another and the few guys that commonly do it on these boards just look like geese either way, imo.

I know a lot of peple on here rate 1910 and his "intel" but honestly I've been a member of these boards for a year and half and I haven't heard one genuine scoop or piece of intel from him. . . at least not one that could not be inferred from speculation or innuendo in the media. It might sound sacrilege as 1910 has a pretty devoted following on here who jizz themselves whenever he posts but I need something a bit more concrete than "look for a big announcement soon" or Jack Reed's locker number to get me moist.

Rightly or wrongly, I don't think the line "I heard from a guy who knows a guy who works at the club" should be used for a tie break in an argument/discussion. For example, I could log in here and post that "I know a guy who knows that the moon landing was fake?!" or what about "I know a guy who knows a guy who knows where Blackbeard's treasure is buried." It's impossible to prove one way or another and the few guys that commonly do it on these boards just look like geese either way, imo.

I know a lot of peple on here rate 1910 and his "intel" but honestly I've been a member of these boards for a year and half and I haven't heard one genuine scoop or piece of intel from him. . . at least not one that could not be inferred from speculation or innuendo in the media. It might sound sacrilege as 1910 has a pretty devoted following on here who jizz themselves whenever he posts but I need something a bit more concrete than "look for a big announcement soon" or Jack Reed's locker number to get me moist.
Except his intel is always ahead of anything appearing in the media, so yeah, I believe he does have some genuine inside info. But it's your right to believe what you want...

My squad & options for 2015

1. Barba/kahu/Boyd
2. Kahu/Boyd/Barba/Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Hodges/reed
5. Vidot
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Parker/Ofahengaue/Gavet/Garbut
11. Gillett/ Oates
12. Thaiday/ Oates
13. Parker/ofangengue/Glenn

14. Glenn/J nikorima/k nikorima/parcell/Waddell/Taylor/Barba
15. Garbutt
16. Gavet
17. Ofangengue/Wallace/Dodds/Molo
18. Molo/wallace/Dodds

Give your finalised opinions using this maybe?

I'm getting really excited for next season. Pro or anti Bennet, almost everybody on here agreed that the club needed a serious make over (or restoration as it seems) and we are definitely witnessing a huge overhaul.

Heaps of huge decisions have already been made and I'm sure more will come before the offseason finishes. When this much change happens you won't be able to make all of the people happy all of the time. A lot has happened that I've loved and (especially if a few roumors are true) a couple will happen that I don't 100% agree with. I'm ok with that though, and I'm happy to delay my outrage until the season is at least a few games old.

The fact is, Bennett ( or any coach) will have opinions that don't match those of some of their club's supporters but they have credentials that most of the fans don't, and are privy to information that none of the will ever know. Coaches are in a better position to make decisions than any fan.

Of course being impartial doesn't make a fun message board though so please ignore all the gray area.

I'm getting really excited for next season. Pro or anti Bennet, almost everybody on here agreed that the club needed a serious make over (or restoration as it seems) and we are definitely witnessing a huge overhaul.

Heaps of huge decisions have already been made and I'm sure more will come before the offseason finishes. When this much change happens you won't be able to make all of the people happy all of the time. A lot has happened that I've loved and (especially if a few roumors are true) a couple will happen that I don't 100% agree with. I'm ok with that though, and I'm happy to delay my outrage until the season is at least a few games old.

The fact is, Bennett ( or any coach) will have opinions that don't match those of some of their club's supporters but they have credentials that most of the fans don't, and are privy to information that none of the will ever know. Coaches are in a better position to make decisions than any fan.

Of course being impartial doesn't make a fun message board though so please ignore all the gray area.

such a good post. Megan likes this.

Except his intel is always ahead of anything appearing in the media, so yeah, I believe he does have some genuine inside info. But it's your right to believe what you want...

Not if you have the right people on Twitter though..

Not if you have the right people on Twitter though..
Well, it depends on who the right people are... some of them would definitely qualify as inside info! :wink:

Firstly, welcome aboard lad, AND, secondly, Fantastic posting Shed! It really makes a lot of sense and I like your balanced and objective viewpoint. The blog could do with more subscribers such as yourselves.

Now, onto the point at hand. I will also wait till at least the halfway point of 2015 before I judge WB efforts. I am optimistic but not confident and am still unconvinced that replacing the clubs 2nd greatest coach in its history with a 70 year old man (although admittedly wonderful past coach) was the right thing to do. We shall see, right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Galah
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncoFan94
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.