The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look. There's a lot of people around here talking about Taylor and the Nikorimas. Personally, I'm still nonplussed. Anyone can be a star in u20s. Corey Norman being one example.

I highly doubt that any of our u20 team have played a game against an experienced team of footballers.

As such I don't see why everyone is so keen to put them into first grade in such circumstances.

Taylor, the Nikorimas and anyone else who has talent in the u20 team ought to be playing ISC next year. Indeed, I think there is a case for taking our best u20 players (even if they qualify for u20s) and putting them into the ISC. The u20 player should see it as a promotion (the way reggies was always a promotion from colts or presidents cup).

If they perform at ISC level, then, and only then, do we look at them for first grade.

The point of my rant is that Barba and Boyd are proven first graders, Taylor and the Nikorimas are not even proven 'open grade' footballers. People on here need to remember that.

Ps not bagging Taylor and the Nikorimas, just the people who seem to think that we should be putting them into first grade immediately and that we ought to loose players to accommodate them

From what I have heard Norman wasn't even a start in the Under 20's.

Look. There's a lot of people around here talking about Taylor and the Nikorimas. Personally, I'm still nonplussed. Anyone can be a star in u20s. Corey Norman being one example.

I highly doubt that any of our u20 team have played a game against an experienced team of footballers.

As such I don't see why everyone is so keen to put them into first grade in such circumstances.

Taylor, the Nikorimas and anyone else who has talent in the u20 team ought to be playing ISC next year. Indeed, I think there is a case for taking our best u20 players (even if they qualify for u20s) and putting them into the ISC. The u20 player should see it as a promotion (the way reggies was always a promotion from colts or presidents cup).

If they perform at ISC level, then, and only then, do we look at them for first grade.

The point of my rant is that Barba and Boyd are proven first graders, Taylor and the Nikorimas are not even proven 'open grade' footballers. People on here need to remember that.

Ps not bagging Taylor and the Nikorimas, just the people who seem to think that we should be putting them into first grade immediately and that we ought to loose players to accommodate them

I reckon if Corey Norman had come through the traditional system, he'd have end up in the centres.

I just hope we don't lose our up and coming players because we get Boyd.

From what I have heard Norman wasn't even a start in the Under 20's.

Mate he was, that's pretty universally accepted. Even if you didn't watch the NYC back then all the talk was about how we were in safe hands post-locky due to the star that is Corey Norman

Mate he was, that's pretty universally accepted. Even if you didn't watch the NYC back then all the talk was about how we were in safe hands post-locky due to the star that is Corey Norman

Ok sorry must of misread or misheard.

I reckon if Corey Norman had come through the traditional system, he'd have end up in the centres.

Norman was ordinary in U20s and you are right he is more a centre than anything else.

Not from those who actually went to the games, watched him and told it straight.

Not from those who actually went to the games, watched him and told it straight.

I know. I am talking about the media and all the other factors that deemed him a 'star'

Last time I checked, Porthoz, myself and certainly not Ari (imagine what that would be like?) are not the media.

I'm not as confident as some are about some of the juniors, still think some have a long way to go - but at the same time I see more potential in them than Norman who had the skills but not the instincts.

I just hope we don't lose our up and coming players because we get Boyd.

It's this mindset that I am challenging (though I understand it and I am not having a go at you for it).

I just don't get why we assume that our 'up and comers' are necessarily better than Boyd or even all that good? I mean, our u20s team hasn't produced that many diamonds.

At best, they are unproven beyond under age comps.

Has anybody called them better than Boyd?

From what I gather, it's just a personal preference.

You're kidding giving Bennett credit for Parcell. He's had nothing to do with him. Bennett would have done his research and asked around but the only people that deserve credit for Parcell is the Walkers it's on their recommendation that he got a one year gig.

He's played 55 ISC games all under Ben and Shane.

Exactly what BP said.

I never rated Norman that highly. Until the current crop, Hunt, Yow Yeh, Glenn and Copley were the only guys I genuinely got excited about in the U20's.

Of the current crop however, I am very excited about quite a few, like J. Nikorima, Taylor, Ofahengaue, Greinke, Arrow, Opacic and I hope Berrell will cut it too, although he is realistically not at the same level as the others...

It's this mindset that I am challenging (though I understand it and I am not having a go at you for it).

I just don't get why we assume that our 'up and comers' are necessarily better than Boyd or even all that good? I mean, our u20s team hasn't produced that many diamonds.

At best, they are unproven beyond under age comps.
Have you actually watched them play?

You're kidding giving Bennett credit for Parcell. He's had nothing to do with him. Bennett would have done his research and asked around but the only people that deserve credit for Parcell is the Walkers it's on their recommendation that he got a one year gig.

He's played 55 ISC games all under Ben and Shane.

Users are just arguing hypoethicals.

IF Parcell has a huge break-out season in the NRL and cements himself as a first grade hooker - some fans believe Bennett doesn't deserve any share of the credit, while some do.

Obviously as of right now, Bennett doesn't deserve any because Parcell hasn't made any impact in the NRL...

...yet.

Have you actually watched them play?

Every home game mate.

I've watched them play kids.

I want to seem them play adults in open grade football.

I'm just saying we haven't seen any of these kids play against seasoned footballers so we don't know how good they are.

They might be brilliant, equally they may not.

So I don't think it's wise to bank the club's future on 'may be' stars. We did that with Norman and he turned out to be a dud.

Users are just arguing hypoethicals.

IF Parcell has a huge break-out season in the NRL and cements himself as a first grade hooker - some fans believe Bennett doesn't deserve any share of the credit, while some do.

Obviously as of right now, Bennett doesn't deserve any because Parcell hasn't made any impact in the NRL...

...yet.

Yeah exactly this. That is all anyone has said, but I guess it's more fun to come on and not read things in context... at the very least you will get a 'like' from Porthoz

Every home game mate.

I've watched them play kids.

I want to seem them play adults in open grade football.

I'm just saying we haven't seen any of these kids play against seasoned footballers so we don't know how good they are.

They might be brilliant, equally they may not.

So I don't think it's wise to bank the club's future on 'may be' stars. We did that with Norman and he turned out to be a dud.
No we didn't, some media did after he had a belter on his first NRL appearance, but I cannot recall anyone here being that enthusiastic about him in the U20's. I know I wasn't...

Of course one or more of them may not make it in the top grade for one reason or another, but some of the kids coming through are at the highest level I've ever seen potential and talent wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Brocko
  • Broncorob
  • Mighty Bronx
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • Alec
  • I bleed Maroon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.