The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought McGuire was sensational as lock for Samoa. I've changed my opinion. McGuire to lock, Parker to prop.
But mcguire has been sensational at prop for 3 years now? You want to move him because he did what he's already been doing consistently but with a different number on his back?

Good to see we signed that young hooker, my mate at the jets cant stop raving about him every time I talk broncos with him. The walker brothers told Bennett to sign him up ASAP but he initially wanted nothing to do with him. He was told there are 3 clubs already after him and responded with a "well they can have him". Then the wadell announcement came and it looked like no go for him, but guess someone with more marbles left convinced him in the end.

Firstly, in life there are no guarantees. Further, those who don't learn from the mistakes of the past are certain to repeat them. Twice now we have chosen rookie coaches and twice we have failed under them. Your call to continue doing so seems ridiculous .

In your second paragraph you state that past fans would never have accepted WB signing a bloke out of jail, I ask how could you possibly know this ? Firstly as WB had never tried to and secondly ,how can you know the minds of other people and speak on their behalf ? You call Boyd a train wreck because he has suffered and sought help for depression. I ,like many others call him brave and well on the road to recovery simply by recognising the issue and seeking help. We had a guy like Boyd playing for us once, a troubled star player, an international but he suffered from depression too but sadly he didn't seek help. He later committed suicide.

In your last paragraph you ask where the great culture has gone. The solid foundation is still there but to continue the analogy there has been some subsidence . Who better to shore up the foundation than the man who laid it ? You may want a novice but I want a seasoned professional with a great track record. As for WB leaving when things get tough than you simply don't know much about him. Not to mention the man himself saying it is his last coaching job.

Kilroy came back to the Broncos from jail.

But mcguire has been sensational at prop for 3 years now? You want to move him because he did what he's already been doing consistently but with a different number on his back?

Good to see we signed that young hooker, my mate at the jets cant stop raving about him every time I talk broncos with him. The walker brothers told Bennett to sign him up ASAP but he initially wanted nothing to do with him. He was told there are 3 clubs already after him and responded with a "well they can have him". Then the wadell announcement came and it looked like no go for him, but guess someone with more marbles left convinced him in the end.
That's convenient, now if he plays well you'll give no credit to Bennett.

Sign Mose Masoe Immediately... Every time he came on to the field he changed the momentum of the game. Imagine him and Gavet coming on together. That would be very, very intimidating. Plus he's a crowd favourite, and I bet his team mates love playing with him. Everyone in the team just lifts based off the back of his energy and enthusiasm.

That's convenient, now if he plays well you'll give no credit to Bennett.
Seriously? What credit should Bennett get?
It's not like he has been playing badly, is it? He has been the best in ISC this season pretty much...

Bennett should get credit for the players he gets better and more consistent, which will hopefully be the likes of Thaiday and Gillett for example, but I wish it would be Barba and Kennedy as well.

Seriously? What credit should Bennett get?
It's not like he has been playing badly, is it? He has been the best in ISC this season pretty much...

Bennett should get credit for the players he gets better and more consistent, which will hopefully be the likes of Thaiday and Gillett for example, but I wish it would be Barba and Kennedy as well.

What he is saying is parcell has been signed by Bennett. If he ends up making the starting team and turns out to be a good signing, bennett would deserve some credit for spotting that talent and progressing it.

However if that happens AP has the perfect excuse not to give him credit, because his mate said Bennett didn't want him... If you believe that

What he is saying is parcell has been signed by Bennett. If he ends up making the starting team and turns out to be a good signing, bennett would deserve some credit for spotting that talent and progressing it.

However if that happens AP has the perfect excuse not to give him credit, because his mate said Bennett didn't want him... If you believe that
I'm pretty sure 1910 said something like that as well a little while ago... so no, I won't give Bennett credit for spotting him, because he didn't.
I will if he gets him to perform consistently at NRL level, which is no easy feat.

This discussion is sterile, because all Wayne will be measured on, is the team's performance and results, not individual players achievement...

Sign Mose Masoe Immediately... Every time he came on to the field he changed the momentum of the game. Imagine him and Gavet coming on together. That would be very, very intimidating. Plus he's a crowd favourite, and I bet his team mates love playing with him. Everyone in the team just lifts based off the back of his energy and enthusiasm.

I have a feeling he is off-contract atm

We could use Kennedy's money to buy Masoe if he leaves. 250K a year?

I'm pretty sure 1910 said something like that as well a little while ago... so no, I won't give Bennett credit for spotting him, because he didn't.
I will if he gets him to perform consistently at NRL level, which is no easy feat.

This discussion is sterile, because all Wayne will be measured on, is the team's performance and results, not individual players achievement...
B4L explained what I wanted to say, AP will come back in a few years, if Parcell is playing well at NRL level and give Bennett no credit because he didn't want him... Even though it was his choice to sign him.

Did 1910 say that? I didn't see that

He attempted to sign a bloke out of jail, something that fans in the past would never have accepted and neither would he. Not during our glory days run when he was last year. The other guy he wants to sign has so many personal issues it does impact his playing ability to the point where he just stopped playing all together for Newcastle this year. These are moves that I don't think the glory days WB would have done, he was a guy who took slightly troubled players (like Barba) and got the best out them on and off the field not train wrecks who stop playing for their club or wind up prison.

Fans on here and other sources have asked where the clubs great culture was, the above moves have me questioning if it will return under Bennett or if once it gets hard here he will walk out on us for a better offer.

Awesome post. Sorry Charmamba for chopping out most of it in my reply - it was very insightful and agreed with most if it so will just add a few comments. I think it's a different game now. Brisbane used to have tremendous depth during Bennett's tenure which made signing players with a 'questionable' background kind of a moot point. A lot of NRL clubs now have their hooks in QLD clubs so a compromise of sorts is only natural, I think. It also points to the fact that Bennett knows we have deficiencies in the team, particularly in the front row. McGuire and Parker are both great players but we are not going to win a premiership with those two in the front row.

I'm a bit skeptical of that Kennedy article but we'll see what happens.

I tend to agree. The reality is it's a results-driven business. It's probably how the greats in any sport measure themselves on. Great bowlers judge themselves on wickets, batsmen judge themselves on runs. The numbers in the win column will make a lot of discussions on here sterile, I think. Exciting times...

B4L explained what I wanted to say, AP will come back in a few years, if Parcell is playing well at NRL level and give Bennett no credit because he didn't want him... Even though it was his choice to sign him.
Yeah, I know what you're saying, but if Matt plays well, most credit should go first to the Walker brothers, and some to Bennett if he gets him to perform consistently at NRL level. Albeit, if Wayne didn't want him and he turns out to be a gun, he should also be criticised for it, even if he does get him to play well.
In the same way, if Parcell doesn't make it at NRL level, WB will be vindicated for not wanting him in the first place...

Wayne is good, very good even, but far from perfect. He has got it wrong with players before and he will undoubtedly again... comes with the territory!

Did 1910 say that? I didn't see that
I'm not sure what the exact wording was, but I seem to remember someone asking about Parcell, and 1910 answering that several clubs were interested, but the Broncos weren't...

I'm sure he will correct me if my memory's affected. :laugh:

I'm not sure what the exact wording was, but I seem to remember someone asking about Parcell, and 1910 answering that several clubs were interested, but the Broncos weren't...

I'm sure he will correct me if my memory's affected. :laugh:

Fair enough if he did say it, I just didn't see it. All I'm saying is that it seems you are taking it as fact based on a poster that is rocking a 24/7 anti-Bennett boner saying "my mate said"

Fair enough if he did say it, I just didn't see it. All I'm saying is that it seems you are taking it as fact based on a poster that is rocking a 24/7 anti-Bennett boner saying "my mate said"

One guy has an Anti-Bennett boner and the other guy has a Bennett boner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • scobie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.