The World Cup general discussion thread

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Alonso and Fabregas are entirely different players. Alonso prefers to sit back and direct play, he sort of acts like the quarterback of the team, pinging passes out wide or down the centre. He also mops up any opposition attacks, or holds them off giving time to his team-mates to get into position. Fabregas is pretty much the opposite. He makes surging runs from deep, combining short passes with quick movement to get into an attacking position.

It all depends on how Spain want to play. Do they want to use their wide men or do they want to try and split open the opposition, leaving themselves vulnerable to counter-attacks. I reckon they need to find a level which combines both, because they can't afford to leave gaping holes in midfield as Capdevila and Ramos love to get forward, which generally leaves the backs exposed.

They should drop Busquets, who is pretty much useless against the smaller teams, and bring in Fabregas. Alonso can then play the holding role behind a three of Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas, if Del Bosque wants to continue playing with one up top. Give Iniesta and Fabregas free reign and they'll wreak havoc. Silva played very poorly against Switzerland as well, so I'm not sure on his chances of staying in the team.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Alonso sits deeper and is a better defender than Fabregas (although by how much I'm not sure) which is why he is playing. They need someone to anchor the midfield and since Senna isn't there, Alonso is the man to do it.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Scotty said:
Alonso sits deeper and is a better defender than Fabregas (although by how much I'm not sure) which is why he is playing. They need someone to anchor the midfield and since Senna isn't there, Alonso is the man to do it.

Aye, pretty much spot on, Scotty.

Clintos

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Apr 8, 2008
That's all well and good, but Alonso doesn't play for Arsenal, and is therefore utter rubbish.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
The Argies played well, but I'm interested to see how they do against an established team.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
That was impressive especially the second half, they really lifted when Aguero came on. Korea are a pretty well organised side so to get 4 on them is a pretty good effort.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Clintos said:
That's all well and good, but Alonso doesn't play for Arsenal, and is therefore utter rubbish.

:roll:

ningnangnong said:
The Argies played well, but I'm interested to see how they do against an established team.

I reckon it's safe to say they are a real threat at this World Cup now. I think Maradona can thank his lucky stars for the form of his star players at the moment.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Mexico!!!! Just finished watching my recording of it. They were by far the better side and France don't even look remotely interested at this tournament. No commitment and no teamwork, the fact Domenech only used two subs once again shows he either has no idea or doesn't care because both his subs were direct swaps he never changes anything in order to give his side a different approach at their opponents. Interesting now Mexico have to beat Uruguay to avoid Argentina due to goal difference which should make the Mexico v Uruguay match pretty entertaining.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
arg/uru in the 2nd round would be so awesome.

Argentina ftw!!!!!!!! Maradona dominating..again.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
how are Nigeria any hope of winning when they have Shittu playing for them.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Currently watching Slovenia v USA, best match of the tournament so far IMO.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
**** you Capello.

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Podolski really choked hard!!! The keeper was going left before he'd even kicked it, surely he is quick enough between the ears to realise that. I suppose it's easy to sit back here and say it, but a player of that calibre should have kicked the ball through the net.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Englands done, so are France... craziest world cup ever.

Unread

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Old Mate
  • Midean
  • Organix
  • Cavalo
  • Fatboy
  • whykickamoocow
  • mrslong
  • mitch222
  • Fozz
  • phoenix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Waynesaurus
  • Culhwch
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  • porouian
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.