The World Cup general discussion thread

S

Scumbag

NRL Player
Mar 8, 2008
Points noted lads, but the mised handball penalty in the box was atrocious and unacceptable. It was blatant. It was a turning point. We didn't play well and were outplayed, but it does raise the issue of politics in world football.

Surely the officials couldn't have allowed Germany to lose last night? The Mexican did all within his power to keep that a reality. Combined with the performace, this was enough to kill us.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Silence said:
Points noted lads, but the mised handball penalty in the box was atrocious and unacceptable. It was blatant. It was a turning point. We didn't play well and were outplayed, but it does raise the issue of politics in world football.

Surely the officials couldn't have allowed Germany to lose last night? The Mexican did all within his power to keep that a reality. Combined with the performace, this was enough to kill us.

A 4-0 scoreline would very rarely reflect biased officiating, and particularly so last night. Germany completely and totally outclassed Australia. Handballs in the penalty area are missed all the time and players get sent off for soft challenges all the time. That's just football mate. Suggestions that the ref was against Australia winning are just silly.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
What is the average age players retire in soccer?
In RL you would say it's about 31-34, what is it for soccer?

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Depends what position you play, it'd usually be about 35-37. Goalkeepers can generally play on a bit longer.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Holland haven't really impressed me.

That Elia fella looks pretty decent.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
So does Affelay. They will look much better once Robben is fully fit and in the team. That ball from Wesley for the second goal was superb, he has amazing vision.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
broncospwn said:
What is the average age players retire in soccer?
In RL you would say it's about 31-34, what is it for soccer?

There are a fair few outfield players who play on till their late 30's, even early 40's. But as ning said it's usually mid 30's. Players who keep playing that long often end up in lower/crap leagues like the A-league.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Gotta say, SBS's coverage of the World Cup has been class. Love what they do for football in this country.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
ningnangnong said:
Gotta say, SBS's coverage of the World Cup has been class. Love what they do for football in this country.
They should cover rugby league!

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
So who are the idiots blowing those horns anyway?
Are they dedicated people or just every 2nd random buying a horn and blowing it?

Where is the attraction to sit and blow an effin horn for 90 minutes?

Surely it must annoy the shit out of the players.

R

ronnyd

QCup Player
Mar 14, 2008
Scotty said:
Silence said:

A 4-0 scoreline would very rarely reflect biased officiating, and particularly so last night. Germany completely and totally outclassed Australia. Handballs in the penalty area are missed all the time and players get sent off for soft challenges all the time. That's just football mate. Suggestions that the ref was against Australia winning are just silly.

definatley agree that the ref didn't impact the outcome of the game, but it always seems the minnows get the raw deal with officiating at big tournaments. I doubt that if it was Schweinsteiger making that tackle he would have been sent off. Same goes fot carraghers tackle on altidore, I think he was very lucky to stay on and if it had been a lesser known player he would have been marched for sure.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Anyone else see the dive this morning from De Rossi? Unbelieveable. If you're gonna dive make sure there is contact you sad act. That was pathetic.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
30957.gif

S

Scumbag

NRL Player
Mar 8, 2008
broncospwn said:
So who are the idiots blowing those horns anyway?
Are they dedicated people or just every 2nd random buying a horn and blowing it?

Where is the attraction to sit and blow an effin horn for 90 minutes?

Surely it must annoy the shit out of the players.

They're most certainly not idiots. They're football fans, but just from a different fan culture to Australia's. In Europe for example, not so much England, but mainland Europe, singing for the full 90 minutes is standard fan culture. These fans pay good money to be at the games, so why not have some fun whilst supporting your team? Singing is fun, making noise with Vuvuzelas is fun. I have many European friends who attend football (and in some cases Rugby League and Union games depending on the country) who would not attend a game on a weekend unless they could vocally, passionately and visually support their chosen team. It's a huge part of the attraction of going to a game, especially in Europe, which is a factor in the result of huge crowds each week.

Take the German Bundesliga for example, attendances average 60,000 per game over a season. Even the travelling away support for teams is huge, because games are fun to attend. Sure the product is high, but no one gives you death stares for singing and standing for the full 90 mins.

I've had overseas friends come to Broncos games only to be completley shocked at the lack of crowd participation. These people have just as much appreciation of the games and teams they follow, just like we do here on BHQ, they just have fun at the games doing it.

The Australian fan culture of just sitting, clapping and waiting for something to happen is not normal in a global sense. The style here is a reactive support, not proactive support.

South Africa's fan culture is to blow the horns, Europe's is to sing. Taking such fan support styles away would be unacceptable. I personally don't see the big deal anyway, the horns just blend in. I respect South Africa's fan culture, as I do with Europe's.

If you lived anywhere else apart from Australia, you'd understand about active support broncospwn. Australia is a very ignorant country anyay, so I don't expect anything less than little understanding for other cultures.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I'm sick of singing coming into the argument from the horn apologists. Singing is completely different, you sing a song, watch the match for a bit, sing some more. It's not as loud as vuvuzelas and it's not a continuous drone that spans for the entire fucking telecast.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

For 90 minutes. Yep, what a rich and fruitful atmosphere it creates.

Football culture my arse. It's doing my head in, and the same goes for millions of football fans around the world. Would someone please throw a vuvuzela onto the pitch already ffs.

S

Scumbag

NRL Player
Mar 8, 2008
Scotty said:
I'm sick of singing coming into the argument from the horn apologists. Singing is completely different, you sing a song, watch the match for a bit, sing some more. It's not as loud as vuvuzelas and it's not a continuous drone that spans for the entire **** telecast.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Football culture my arse. It's doing my head in, and the same goes for millions of football fans around the world. Would someone please throw a vuvuzela onto the pitch already ffs.

I just don't see eye to eye on this with you Scotty.

Singing is completely different, you sing a song, watch the match for a bit, sing some more.

Maybe in England. Mainland Europe is different. It's the same thing in my eyes. Ultras groups sing and create exceptional noise for 90 minutes. What's the difference with the horns in South Africa? That's their culture. I just see it not from an audiological sense, but from a cultural meaning sense. To you it's just noise, but to them it's something much greater.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Scotty said:
I'm sick of singing coming into the argument from the horn apologists. Singing is completely different, you sing a song, watch the match for a bit, sing some more. It's not as loud as vuvuzelas and it's not a continuous drone that spans for the entire **** telecast.

Haha yes, it drives one insane to the point of being tempted to fly over there, buy a horn, attend a game, throw it on the pitch, then immediately return to Australian to watch the rest of the tournament without having your head explode!!

B

Bannermania

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
What is greater though Silence, tell me what is so cultural about that.

You cannot just say it is what it is without any reason?

Active Now

• Allo
  • mieko
  • Browny
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Manlyman
  • Big Del
  • Galah
  • Aldo
  • Mustafur
  • Mr Fourex
  • dirtyharry
  • thenry
  • TimWhatley
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.