Third Test- Australia v South Africa

I love the early declaration. Not because of the Warner **** up but because I think the somewhat smallish total could be pretty competitive on this wicket and also SA win that little psychological battle that the opposition couldn't bowl you out.
He rolled the dice and lost. Was hoping for 3 quick ones, sacrificed 20-30 runs. Advantage Renshaw and Khawaja.

Loved that batting last night. Showed patience which is what we have been needing. The new ball shine will come off soon and then the ball wont do much and that's when you cash in. Hard to cash in if your 8 down already though.

Loved that batting last night. Showed patience which is what we have been needing. The new ball shine will come off soon and then the ball wont do much and that's when you cash in. Hard to cash in if your 8 down already though.

Extra paint on this generation of ball and the seam is black. Extra grass left on to so the ball will stay new for a while yet.

Khawaja opening in Shield

6 attempts for 70 runs.

Stumps end of day one last year- New Zealand 7/173 and Australia 2/54

They're low scoring games the day night games.

It's very interesting the tactics of these day night games. The declarations I have commented on before they're obviously avoiding batting at dusk and at stumps- it's only happened four times a captain has declared on day one of a Test.

Use of spinners is interesting too; they bring them on a lot early almost like a 20/20 tactic.

He rolled the dice and lost. Was hoping for 3 quick ones, sacrificed 20-30 runs. Advantage Renshaw and Khawaja.

I don't think it will have a huge impact; even if they lose by 30 runs it's hard to go back and say if they hadn't declared- you could apply that logic if they declared on 450 too.

Might mean Warner gets to bat at a nice time with the bowlers a bit tired or it could mean he comes in at dusk and we lose three quick wickets. I know it helped Renshaw to bat with Khawaja. They have only batted together once for Queensland but it's his captain and a bit more calm than Warner.

I don't think it will have a huge impact; even if they lose by 30 runs it's hard to go back and say if they hadn't declared- you could apply that logic if they declared on 450 too.

Might mean Warner gets to bat at a nice time with the bowlers a bit tired or it could mean he comes in at dusk and we lose three quick wickets. I know it helped Renshaw to bat with Khawaja. They have only batted together once for Queensland but it's his captain and a bit more calm than Warner.

I can see his logic in the declaration, but this new ball seems more benign. First innings runs could be very important.

If these could set us up, a blazing Warner at 3 and a swashbuckling Maddinson at 6 could move us into a super strong position. Big if though.

Smith or Khawaja need a big score or we are gonna collapse.

Handscomb has been on fire for a while now in state cricket. Does he remind anyone else of Clarke?

Handscomb has been on fire for a while now in state cricket. Does he remind anyone else of Clarke?

Not too sure on the Clarke thing but he bats very deep in the crease to give himself extra time. He comes very close to his stumps. I never noticed it until I was side on to him batting.

Handscombe the 56th Australian to make 50 in first innings.

I think the best Khawaja innings I have seen, very patient, waiting and just been brutal on anything short. Waited for them and then just played the leg side beautifully.

I'm not sold on this night test. I find it ridiculous that such a massive advantage to one team in the evening spell is considered good for the game

Unread

Active Now

• barker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.