Those were the days...

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
1998 and 2006. Blissful years.

Why?

1998: Allan Langer captains and Wayne Bennett coaches the Broncos to premiership glory.
Allan Langer captains and Wayne Bennett coaches Queensland to a 2-1 State of Origin series win
Allan Langer captains and Wayne Bennett coaches Australia to a 2-1 series win over New Zealand (Bennett became coach after Fulton resigned after the ANZAC Test in April, and Langer was captain as Laurie Daley was unavailable for the October tests with injury).

2006: Darren Lockyer captains the Broncos to premiership glory.
Darren Lockyer captains Queensland to a 2-1 series win.
Darren Lockyer captains Australia to Tri-Nations glory.

Gotta love those "Grand slam" years! Will we see more? Certainly not this year, though we could get 2 - Lockyer captaining the Broncos to a premiership and Australia to a World Cup...we'll see.

Other teams can look and drool. Maybe Canberra of the late 80s/early 90s can hold up a candle to us.

Speaking of, does anyone remember any good matches between Mal Meninga's Canberra vs Brisbane back in the early 90s? You would think that they would have been the two smashtastic clubs but I just can't remember there ever being anything said about individual matches...

Hmmm, generally one team or the other was depleted or struggling whenever they met. Or just plain played crap and got smashed.

Bit of the history (I did have to look all the scores up, I'm not a freak!!!):
1990: Red hot Canberra flogged the Broncos in the preliminary final, Wally's last game with the club, 32-4 or something. Canberra went on and did the job in the big one. Earlier in the year both teams were red hot and the Broncos pipped them 22-20 at Lang Park. Love to see highlights of that game!
1991: Broncos beat Canberra 26-12 at Lang Park in round 3. Repeated the dose 18-8 at Bruce Stadium in round 18. Yet there weren't too many wins in between for the Broncos and so they failed to make the finals while Canberra were knocked off in the Grand Final by Penrith...go figure.
1992: Canberra was in a bit of a rut that year, Broncos beat them 24-16 at Canberra, and 28-12 at Lang Park....don't know how memorable the games were.
1993: Broncos and Canberra fought out a really close game at ANZ Stadium early in the season, Broncos winning 12-10. First win at ANZ Stadium too. Later in the year, Canberra smashed us 20-4 at Bruce Stadium.
1994: Canberra comfortably beat a struggling Brisbane at Bruce Stadium, didn't play at ANZ.

Meninga retired that year. The clashes then sort of faded:

1995: "Kick and chase by Mullins, kick and chase again by Mullins, is this going to be a miracle? Oh it is a miracle". *Sob* Canberra flogged us 26-0 or something. Pipped us in a titanic finals game at Lang Park too, 14-8.
1996: Broncos flogged Canberra 50-16 at ANZ Stadium, and that ended the really good games IMO.

We never got the "Dream grand final" in 1993 thanks to Ricky Stuart breaking his leg late in the season. Canberra didn't win another game. We can only imagine what it would've been like if Canberra did have Ricky Stuart on deck...

Thanks mate, I had a quick look on the interwebs but could not immediately find anything so I gave up and cried for an hour.

Coxy said:
We never got the "Dream grand final" in 1993 thanks to Ricky Stuart breaking his leg late in the season. Canberra didn't win another game. We can only imagine what it would've been like if Canberra did have Ricky Stuart on deck...

It would have made for a great GF. At least a whole lot better than the one-sided flogging we gave St George that year.

The beautiful thing about 2006 was, that it came on the back of 2005: surely the worst year of Sport EVER!
Australia lose the Ashes
QLD lose the 3rd Origin in a row
Broncos after leading the NRL with 10 wins in a row drop away at the end of the season in a pitiful display in very winnable games.
( i think that the swans even won the grand final that year *vomits*)

Enter 2006:
Lockyer was written off after Game 1 by all the "greats" calling for him to retire as captain and return to fullback, he turns around and leads QLD to a series win, even though "origin was dead, qld could never beat nsw again".

The Broncos hit a form slump and everyone writes off their chances, until Lockyer leads them to that 30-0 victory over the dogs....they have "no chance" against the Andrew Johns led knights after losing to the Dragons...but Lockyer poos all over JoE and we win comfortably, at half time down 20-6 against the Bulldogs "no chance" they say of a victory...leave it up to Locky though.

Ahhhh and then the greatest victory of all against the Stormers in the big dance....."no chance for the Broncos to beat the unbeatable storm" ha ha ha ha ha....that was the sweetest year of them all...

Wouldn't say it was a one sided flogging...not like 1992 was, but yeah it was never in doubt.

Plus it'd be nice not to have Canberra fans (what's left of them) claiming that they would've won the premiership easily if not for Stuart's injury.

mrslong said:
The beautiful thing about 2006 was, that it came on the back of 2005: surely the worst year of Sport EVER!
Australia lose the Ashes
QLD lose the 3rd Origin in a row
Broncos after leading the NRL with 10 wins in a row drop away at the end of the season in a pitiful display in very winnable games.
( i think that the swans even won the grand final that year *vomits*)

Enter 2006:
Lockyer was written off after Game 1 by all the "greats" calling for him to retire as captain and return to fullback, he turns around and leads QLD to a series win, even though "origin was dead, qld could never beat nsw again".

The Broncos hit a form slump and everyone writes off their chances, until Lockyer leads them to that 30-0 victory over the dogs....they have "no chance" against the Andrew Johns led knights after losing to the Dragons...but Lockyer poos all over JoE and we win comfortably, at half time down 20-6 against the Bulldogs "no chance" they say of a victory...leave it up to Locky though.

Ahhhh and then the greatest victory of all against the Stormers in the big dance....."no chance for the Broncos to beat the unbeatable storm" ha ha ha ha ha....that was the sweetest year of them all...

Ah yes!!! That's why that year was so sweet. Best year IMO as a Broncos (and QLD) supporter. I enjoyed the year 2000 when we shat on everyone the entire year but the victory was much more expected. The 2006 victory was the most staisfying. First one was good too.

I want to get a copy of the dogs semi final match, that was one of the greatest comebacks ever.

It used to be in the vault on NRL.com, but I can't seem to get it anymore :(

The 22-20 game against the Raiders at Lang Pk was a great game, from memory I think Paul Hauff scored the winning try after we had led then the Raiders hit the front with not long to go. Hauff made Daley look like a second rater when he scored. I had a mate with corporate box tickets and we never missed a game, free grog, free taxis to and from, those were the days.

Dexter said:
The 22-20 game against the Raiders at Lang Pk was a great game, from memory I think Paul Hauff scored the winning try after we had led then the Raiders hit the front with not long to go. Hauff made Daley look like a second rater when he scored. I had a mate with corporate box tickets and we never missed a game, free grog, free taxis to and from, those were the days.

Yep I was going to post the same thing. Big Hauffy scored the winner in the Caxton St end right corner.

Yeah that semi is probably my favourite game of all time. Berrigan I miss you.

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. Yeah I always go straight to the good half when I watch it

Thanks! It didn't work for me last time I tried.

Yeah - who would bother watching the first half?? Lol!!

Active Now

• kiwi2
  • Morkel
  • Fozz
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • RolledOates
  • Fitzy
  • Foordy
  • Fatboy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Bucking Beads
  • Galah
  • Manofoneway
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Waynesaurus
  • Ras
  • Strop
  • broncos4life
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.