Tim Smith close to signing elsewhere.

No! We really need to keep Smith!
When in form he can be such a great player and would be a perfect replacement if locky retires this years.

Is locky playing on after this year??

I don't blame smith for leaving but Broncos really should be doing something to convince him to stay.

broncospwn said:
No! We really need to keep Smith!
When in form he can be such a great player and would be a perfect replacement if locky retires this years.

Is locky playing on after this year??

I don't blame smith for leaving but Broncos really should be doing something to convince him to stay.

yeah we should build a skate bowl at Red Hill

Unless of course Ricky ends up coaching Brisbane...
He may return.
Bizarre and odd but who knows?

It's a loss to be sure but it was almost inevitable. Unless Wallace or Lockyer were injured, he wasn't going to get a run until Origin time. A lot of clubs would've been keeping an eye over him because he has performed at NRL level and halfback is key position.

If the Broncos had to go into a bidding war then it wouldn't last too long, Smith was a backup option for us while other clubs could give him a better chance at cementing a first grade spot.

Raw Boned Youngster said:
Unless of course Ricky ends up coaching Brisbane...
He may return.
Bizarre and odd but who knows?

Tea leaves again mate?

QUEENSLANDER said:
what bothers me is that we had a player willing to play for us, that couldve given us the attacking edge todd carney has given the roosters, and as usual we let him slip away coz "we have something better coming through"

How was he willing to play for us? He trained in the off season and two games into the season he has taken off at the first glimpse of a better offer?

And what has this particular situation got to do with Ben Hunt? From what I gather Smith was ahead of Hunt in the pecking order should their be an injury to Wallace & Lockyer. Their hasnt been. It's been 2 representative halves keeping him in the QLD Cup, Not B. Hunt

BroncoMatt said:
QUEENSLANDER said:
what bothers me is that we had a player willing to play for us, that couldve given us the attacking edge todd carney has given the roosters, and as usual we let him slip away coz "we have something better coming through"

How was he willing to play for us? He trained in the off season and two games into the season he has taken off at the first glimpse of a better offer?

And what has this particular situation got to do with Ben Hunt? From what I gather Smith was ahead of Hunt in the pecking order should their be an injury to Wallace & Lockyer. Their hasnt been. It's been 2 representative halves keeping him in the QLD Cup, Not B. Hunt

i think hes saying that we let tim smith go because ben hunt is a prospect?? and from what i have heard tim smith is only contracted with easts so of course he is going to take a spot in a first grade team if he is offered one

chazta said:
BroncoMatt said:
QUEENSLANDER said:

i think hes saying that we let tim smith go because ben hunt is a prospect??

I know that's what he is saying, but my point is that at this very moment in time the Hunt V Smith argument is not a relevant one.

Smith was at Easts training last night - at this stage they expect him to play this afternoon (although that could change in the next few hours I guess)

On the Rleague Grandstand forum, Hancock said that the Broncos did make Smith a 2 year offer, but he wants a full time NRL gig and not to be stuck between Lockyer and Wallace. can anyone confirm?

The Broncos were pretty to quick to OK him going to the Sharks (and FTR he is dual registered so was signed to the Broncos as well but Broncs had no problem granting him a release to go to Sharks). We (and by that I mean Easts) are not releasing him as yet, awaiting an agreeable compensation offer from the Sharks

Foordy said:
On the Rleague Grandstand forum, Hancock said that the Broncos did make Smith a 2 year offer, but he wants a full time NRL gig and not to be stuck between Lockyer and Wallace. can anyone confirm?

Thats what the courier mail says as well that the Broncos offered him a pretty substantial 2 year deal to remain but he rejected because he didn't want to wait behind Lockyer and Wallace, fair enough for him but I don't think you can crucify the Broncos either, wasn't like they just let him go and not just because they have Hunt as some make it out be.

Going by this article it seems the Sharks aren't going to pay compensation to Easts. but the the part of the article that i hate, is that it says the Broncos are trying to work out an appropriate compensation deal with Easts to allow Smith to return to Sydney. If that is true why should we help Cronulla, they wouldn't do the same for us.

Smith, who left the Eels in controversial circumstances early in the 2008 season, yesterday agreed to terms on a two-year contract with Cronulla. However, his release from Easts, a feeder club to the Brisbane Broncos, was yet to be settled last night. Des Morris, the Easts chief executive, was unwilling to release the 25-year-old without major compensation from the Sharks.

Cronulla chief executive Richard Fisk said last night the Sharks had put their offer to Smith ''on hold'' while the player's manager, David Riolo, continued to negotiate a release. ''The Broncos are happy to release him,'' Fisk said. ''Des Morris at Easts in Brisbane is not keen to release him without major compensation. It's quite sad for the kid. It's a great opportunity for him. What we have done is suspend our offer until he gets clearance from Easts.''

It is understood the Broncos were also yesterday involved in trying to work out an appropriate compensation package for Easts to allow Smith to resume his career in Sydney

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... -r35h.html

Foordy said:
Going by this article it seems the Sharks aren't going to pay compensation to Easts. but the the part of the article that i hate, is that it says the Broncos are trying to work out an appropriate compensation deal with Easts to allow Smith to return to Sydney. If that is true why should we help Cronulla, they wouldn't do the same for us.

Flutterby might know more, but I think the The Tiges want a transfer fee from the Sharks and another Broncos player allocated to their roster.

So the Broncos arent really helping the Sharks, they are more so helping Easts.

I find it odd a player like Smith didn't have a NRL Clause in his contract with Easts?? I thought it was fairly standard procedure these days

QUEENSLANDER said:
Bannermania said:
The Broncos rely a bit too much on their Farm system IMHO.

They would rather blood a player that's a failure rather than keep a player willing to play, who has been purchased.

Nail on the head

You mean like Winterstein, Folau, Wallace, Anderson, Teo Setu & Sims? [icon_shru

They don't count, Matt. Broncos only ever blood youngsters. We never recruit anybody.

QUEENSLANDER said:

No, because we have two who are far better in the line-up currently. Smith can wait until Locky goes and fill in at times til then or piss off.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncos4life
  • Santa
  • Midean
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • TimWhatley
  • Bronco bob
  • KateBroncos1812
  • phoenix
  • ozzball
  • bazza
  • mitch222
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.