Time for a new coach. . .

It was interesting seeing Jason Taylor talk about it on Insight. Basically that coach, CEO, manager and (sometimes) player sit down and talk through a deal, come to some agreement, and then CEO and manager go off to an office to nut out terms. Coach doesn't know what gets discussed in that situation.

So it gives the coach some plausible deniability.

Yes, that is where the number of boats, the size of the shopping voucher, the days of the week that the paper bags full of cash are to be delivered are all nutted out.

Yes, I have no doubt he didn't know the exact details, but I bet you he knew they were cheating. He opted to turn a blind eye and this also allowed him to deny everything. Who knows though, maybe he brought up concerns with the club and they reassured him it was all above board and that he didn't have to worry. I highly doubt that though.

There is no evidence that points to Bellamy having any knowledge of wrong doing....so I think it is unfair to infer that he did.

The question to ponder though, is how many coaches with Bellamy's squad would have achieved more? How many would have achieved significantly less?

SSS said:
There is no evidence that points to Bellamy having any knowledge of wrong doing....so I think it is unfair to infer that he did.

The question to ponder though, is how many coaches with Bellamy's squad would have achieved more? How many would have achieved significantly less?

More? Very few.
Less? Most.

Exactly, Bellamy has proved he is an astute coach and manages to get the best out of his players week in, week out. I know there is a hatred built up from the Storm v Broncos rivalry, but if there was anyway of getting Bellamy to coach Brisbane he would do a great job.

SSS said:
Exactly, Bellamy has proved he is an astute coach and manages to get the best out of his players week in, week out. I know there is a hatred built up from the Storm v Broncos rivalry, but if there was anyway of getting Bellamy to coach Brisbane he would do a great job.

Agreed.

I have been as critical as anyone about Bellamy over the last few years, comes across as a grumpy prick and his performance after the 2008 Prelim final was ordinary, but you can't deny he is the best coach in the game at the moment and we need him. Unfortunately with Bruno giving him a few sprays when he was trying to sign him, it's very unlikely we will see Bellamy as Broncos coach while Bruno is our CEO.

So sack Bruno, bring back Bellyache icon_thumbs_u

Bellamy is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best coach in the game right now.

He sure is. He's also the only coach with a team that's 1.3million over the cap.

Comparing him with even the worst coach in the game is not fair. He's had a cheating team. Without cheating, how do we know how a team in his control would go?

SSS said:

Bellamy teaches players stuff.
He makes 'ordinary ' players look good because he has the mechanics of team football nutted.

I don't know what Ivan and a lot of other also rans tell their players but it is:
a) not much
b) some stuff but they forget it when they get on the paddock.

Bellamy understands forward play better than anyone and he demands perfection.
That is certainly one or two of his strengths.

He has already said that he wants to stick it out at Melbourne anyways, so I don't think we'll see him come over at any stage.

Coxy said:
Bellamy is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best coach in the game right now.
I think Bennett is better.
You can not for one second forget his team is $1.3 Million over the cap. That is absolutely massive, that's the equivalent of adding 4 superstars to the current St George team, imagine how good Bennett would go with another 4 superstars when the Dragons are already the most consistent side in the competition since he took over?

I don't think Bennett will come back I think he had his time here and I would love for Bellamy to come back but as far as coaching goes I think he is second best, lets not forget his origin record and don't tell me because the QLD team is better because if that's your argument than his cheating majorly over the cap team is better than every other team in the competition so every game he has won shouldn't count either if you don't count his 2 series in a row losses at origin level.

I still would love Bellamy to come as much as I hate him he's a very good coach and easily way better than Henjack he has also been here before so he knows the culture of the club and has the ability to attract players which Henjack doesn't.

Nashy said:
He sure is. He's also the only coach with a team that's 1.3million over the cap.

Comparing him with even the worst coach in the game is not fair. He's had a cheating team. Without cheating, how do we know how a team in his control would go?

As much as his team are cheats, they wouldn't have won any Grand Finals without a good coach. IMO a team is only as good as their coach. If someone like Nathan Brown was coaching the Storm instead of Bellamy they wouldn't have even won a Grand Final.

Jeba said:
Nashy said:

As much as his team are cheats, they wouldn't have won any Grand Finals without a good coach. IMO a team is only as good as their coach. If someone like Nathan Brown was coaching the Storm instead of Bellamy they wouldn't have even won a Grand Final.
But if Bennett had Cronk/Slater/Inglis and Smith in his team last year instead of Melbourne they most likely would of went all the way too. I'm not saying Bellamy is a bad coach because I think he's a very good coach who has the respect of his players either way BUT with a team $1.3 mill over the cap you can't simply say they were good because of him because he has 4 superstars who otherwise wouldn't be there and time and time again you will see either Slater/Smith/Cronk or Inglis pulling off an awesome play to win a close game, players who wouldn't be there had they not been salary cap cheats.

Lets be honest here, in 2008 they won by a dropped ball from us in the than Inglis went over to score, imagine if 2 or 3 of their star players were not in that game they most likely would not of won.
Last year, GF qualifier we didn't lose by much, take out 2-3 of their superstars they most likely would of lost which again proves that although Bellamy is a very good coach he's also had the benefit of having a team far superior than another team through salary cap rorting whether he knew of it or not.

I know what you are saying.

Take 2007 though. They were $200000 over the cap that year, so that's maybe the season without someone like Ryan Hoffman, Matt King, Steve Turner or one of those middle tier players. They still would've won the comp that year without one of those players. Please note I'm not saying they should have that Premiership given back to them because they did knowingly cheat.

There's no doubt that Bellamy and Bennett are the 2 best coaches in the game today. Bennett could've won the Premiership with those Storm teams without a shadow of a doubt.

With regards to the Broncos though, the club has made it clear that they want to move on from the Bennett era (for some stupid reason), so that is why I think Bellamy is exactly what we need.

Failing that, Terry Matterson.

Failing that, not Ivan Henjak.

Settle down people no need to worry about coaches we have Henjak until the end of 2012!! Party like a rockstar kick a lil arse.

The Rock said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":2365cztm]Settle down people no need to worry about coaches we have Henjak until the end of 2012!! Party like a rockstar kick a lil arse.

I thought it was end of 2011?[/quote:2365cztm]

Henjak was given a 2 year extension, he was origna;;y contracted until the end of 2010

Jeba said:
I know what you are saying.

Take 2007 though. They were $200000 over the cap that year, so that's maybe the season without someone like Ryan Hoffman, Matt King, Steve Turner or one of those middle tier players. They still would've won the comp that year without one of those players. Please note I'm not saying they should have that Premiership given back to them because they did knowingly cheat.

There's no doubt that Bellamy and Bennett are the 2 best coaches in the game today. Bennett could've won the Premiership with those Storm teams without a shadow of a doubt.

With regards to the Broncos though, the club has made it clear that they want to move on from the Bennett era (for some stupid reason), so that is why I think Bellamy is exactly what we need.

Failing that, Terry Matterson.

Failing that, not Ivan Henjak.
I personally wouldn't want Bennett back I just don't think it will work out, I would absolutely love for Bellamy to come but IMO there is no chance of that happening :( He is a very good coach no doubt, so many players he has turned from nobodies to stars which is a sign of a good coach.

Someone posted something last year saying Bruno was pissing off end of this year, i.e His contract won't be renewed, any truth to this?? Anyone have the link or can remember that post?

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Gaz
  • Emanon
  • johnny plath
  • Aldo
  • Old Mate
  • Fozz
  • Cavalo
  • Swordfish
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosarethebest
  • theshed
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Financeguy
  • heartly87
  • Dexter
  • Slippin Jimmy
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.